Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 03:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,870,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbird View Post
Glad I found this thread. I'm having serious issues with the new tenants above me. I've been living in NYC practically all my life. Anyone who lives here knows that most of the buildings here are OLD. I thought I knew loud upstairs neighbors, but this, this is on a completely different level.

I've never actually experienced stomping at this intensity before. These people BLAST, and I mean BLAST music late into the early morning hours. It sounds like OBESE elephants are having a step show, and this goes on all the way into the night. I've had furniture fall OVER?? Things knocked off of my counter and smashed onto the floor, as if there were an earthquake.

It almost sounds like there's BOMBS going off upstairs, it literally shakes my entire apartment and at this point I'm wondering how the floor hasn't collapsed yet.

It's not like I sleep that much anyway, but OH MY GOD. I cannot concentrate on anything when it sounds like WWII upstairs. I've confronted them already but this person is N-A-S-T-Y. Not even 3 words out of my mouth and this gorilla-like creature is screaming at me. I've NEVER heard a door slam SO LOUD. Right in my face!! It took me all my strength not to bust down that door and strangle her. Absolutely unbelievable.

I am NOT having it and I'm not the only one either. My building supervisor said that they'd been getting numerous complaints, BUT YET nothing is being done about it.

I'm seriously amazed at how the floor can handle this level of force. I thought I knew loud, but this is just stupid loud. I'm a strong person, but this is pushing me over the edge.

Why aren't you calling the police when this noise is going on?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-11-2014 at 10:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 PM

10 posts, read 36,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why aren't you calling the police when this noise is going on?
The police? You're joking right? As if the NYPD could actually do anything to solve this. I avoid them like the plague.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:06 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbird View Post
The police? You're joking right? As if the NYPD could actually do anything to solve this. I avoid them like the plague.
That's too bad as it's the standard practice in most communities which have "noise laws". On the very few occasions I've had to resort to calling the police on noise issues in several different jurisdictions it's solved the problem - and the back-up of police reports give a landlord leverage to get rid of troublesome tenants.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
I see a neighborhood of SFRs as a community. I see an apartment building as a landlord/tenant problem.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,792,112 times
I think if a party is going on where it is crazy noisy the police may do something. If the neighbors are just being loud slamming doors are speaking very loud which is still disruptive at night I don't think they will. I had neighbors who were in and out all hours of the night slamming doors and a few people speaking so loudly. I complained and little was done. I really think people who are inconsiderate that make so much noise care less if they get a complaint. This is especially since the management does not do anything in most cases.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,870,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I see a neighborhood of SFRs as a community. I see an apartment building as a landlord/tenant problem.

It doesn't matter ....the police will respond to noise complaints at both places. The noise ordinance applies to ALL residents regardless of where they live (house, condo, apt, duplex..etc)

If the unit is a rental they are creating excessive the noise the first point of contact is the landlord, but if the landlord cant/wont' do anything about it the next step is to involve the police.

In my city they will come out once and give a warning...if they come out again with a 24 hr period a fine/ticket will be issued. If they come a third time within that 24hr period, another fine/ticket issued and the landlord is contacted. If this address gets consistent visits from LE because of noise...both tenant and landlord will getting fines and the landlord could end up in court over it.

In my complex or manager wants us to call the police (as well as call them) so they can create a paper trail and evict the troublemakers in a timely manner.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:21 PM

11 posts, read 19,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
After skimming this 40 page topic and seeing so many issues with noisy neighbors, a universal solution seems to emerge for me.

Move as soon as possible. You can control where you live. You cannot control noisy neighbors. If you are in a lease discuss it with your manager and ask them to release you from your lease, or in lieu of that request them to begin showing your apartment to prospective renters and give you a move-out date when new renters have been obtained. It is not unusual for unwilling tenants to be released from their lease by this method.

It's easier to remove yourself from the apartment or other rental than it is to control the behavior of other individuals.

The whole issue escalated cause I contacted them about leaving and not renewing the lease. That was a big mistake. Seems they have someone in mind for the apartment. Just not the type of people to work with ya. If they did would have been a win win situation instead of stressing me out.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:35 PM

11 posts, read 19,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
^This. I recently moved to a duplex from a second story apartment fourplex, and lemme tell you, it is HEAVEN. I can do amazing things- (such as laundry at 11 PM..or later), I don't worry about closing my doors too hard, I don't have to constantly shush my child, or fret if my company is talking or walking too loudly. After FOUR years of walking on eggshells (darn near literally), I am finally reveling in the joys of my own space.

I understand it can be hard to find an affordable place that's not in a complex however. That's how I ended up in my last building. It was pretty spacious, with a garage and private basement space for laundry, at a super good price. The first person who lived below me was elderly and not too fond of kids- pretty much from the first month they pounded the ceilings and walls frequently. And we are not noisy people. I walk very softly- not a heel walker- and have a very soft voice. My daughter is pretty calm and not rambunctious although as kids do, she plays a bit rowdy every now and again. We never play music, or watched TV.

I think the building is just low quality materials and you can just hear every noise. I could hear my neighbors talking in the apartment across the hall from mine- sometimes I could hear the headboard bangin' too. I never complained, because, well, that's what you get.

Eventually Old Person Number One moved out and Old Person Number Two moved in..and she was nice at first, but soon began to complain, and yes, pound on the walls. I mean I could hear her phone conversations, I could tell you exactly what room she was in, and what she was doing to some extent (always knew when she went in her closet), so it goes both ways. Though I'm sure downstairs hearing the walking was much worse. But still...that is what you get, living so closely amongst others. I lived my life so fretfully for four years, always worried about making too much noise and disturbing my neighbors- Yet she left me a note, calling me "inconsiderate." The complaints were just as bad, since they created anxiety about my noise levels and activities, as well as guilt for disturbing others to that extent.

So now I am free from all that and happy as a clam. If neighbor noise or complaints are driving you mad then the best thing to do is escape if you're able. It's really the only happy solution, I think.
I have lived in this complex a few years before I moved to the ground floor apartment. He purposely does it to annoy. When they just walk about in their bare feet there is no issue. I don't hear them on the phone or watching tv. Most of the time I wear headphones listening to music. They fixed the doors that they close for fire safety so you have to really intend to slam it. It's done purposely then asked do we make noise, when they know they do. This is not a luxurious apartment at all. It's the worse apartment in the complex but it's convenient also overpriced but I guess since they are now taking in section 8 voucher they can get more for it.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:44 PM

9,882 posts, read 9,486,882 times
does the OP live in one of those rent controlled apartments in NY that people live there in forever? Maybe they are hard to get rid of those kinds of tenants.

Also, it could be they have the base and volume turned way up, maybe they are playing a violent video game with the sound effects turned way up and this can really sound like a warzone for realz.

they sound like rude asswipes.

I dont know what to suggest, except move. If they are rude and getting away with it, not sure what to do except let the police handle it.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer22 View Post
The whole issue escalated cause I contacted them about leaving and not renewing the lease. That was a big mistake. Seems they have someone in mind for the apartment. Just not the type of people to work with ya. If they did would have been a win win situation instead of stressing me out.
Now you have an answer: move. Management is not behind your comfort as a tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting