Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 PM

467 posts, read 1,865,762 times

Advertisements

Gosh, so many people telling her to suck it up, when she's described in detail how noisy it is. Nothing should be allowed to knock decorations off your walls or rattle glass! It must be awful.

I'm glad that your neighbor understands and that you are filing a complaint together. I hope they get it sorted out. It is good that she is not doing it on purpose and she's trying to make an effort, but I hope that the company actually tries to fix the issue. If you say no one else in the building has this problem, it's obviously her floor and it should be fixed.

I on the other hand live above someone who on one occasion approached me telling me that I ought to not walk so loudly. We live in quite an old building with creaky floors that I cannot help. I didn't really like the way she told me about it, and she would frequently bang on the ceiling at us. I tried from then on to walk more quietly, I bought a few more carpets, I discouraged my boyfriend from playing with the dog after 11, etc. We haven't heard anything from her since but I avoid her like the plague just in case. What stopped all the banging on my floor was one day my boyfriend stomped up and down and up and down after she did that, and since then she hasn't made a peep. And anyway hopefully by next August at the VERY latest, my neighbor will get her wish because I'm moving, hopefully to a house or a duplex.

I understand both sides, but I also think that if its not outrageous noise, you ought to get used to it and not complain since there are no rights in that situation. It's clearly not the case for you though, so hope you resolve it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 PM

901 posts, read 2,986,784 times
[quote=canyontothesky;5738331]Gosh, so many people telling her to suck it up, when she's described in detail how noisy it is. Nothing should be allowed to knock decorations off your walls or rattle glass! It must be awful."

The point is that the OP said the neighbor was walking in her apt, not jumping, playing loud music, or a loud TV. What exactly is the neighbor suppossed to do, sit down all day?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Just a thought which calls for a building inspection/personal safety....

An apt I moved out of that was mid level rental type...The floor was bad even with carpet. When moving out I stood in the corner and the floor fell through almost. Water had seeped into the bricks from a bad series of storms. (it needed a regrout anyway) and had blistered parts of paint. I ripped up the carpet and a woosh of wood rot smell came up. I would check the apt above you for that. For both of you.

Mine was only the corner and I was only 135 standing. Not jumping or tip toe or anything. I was brooming down a spider web on move out day. I can only imagine what would of happened if I was a big guy or girl or jumping kid...glad I was moving out!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 50,908 times
If you find a solution to this that does not require you to move, please let me know.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 50,908 times
By the way, unless a person has suffered the injustice of a neighbor from hell...they have NO WAY of understanding. I feel you.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:28 PM

146 posts, read 566,265 times
Buy your neihbour some slippers.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 PM

10 posts, read 65,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want_quiet View Post
By the way, unless a person has suffered the injustice of a neighbor from hell...they have NO WAY of understanding. I feel you.

I definitely feel you! I'm going through something similiar myself. I'm upstairs and the neighbor downstairs slams her door so loudly my lamps rattle. I don't dare put any pics up because I would lose them to breakage. She also has company who smokes weed, talks, curses loudly outside from 9 at night till 2 or three in the am. I'm moving out of state soon, thank God but in the meantime, I have talked to her about it, asked her very nicely if she and her guests could conduct themselves quietly. She agreed and the next night, the same thing. So, I called security and when she found out I did that, she yelled up and called me a *****. I spoke to the assistant apartment manager twice and was told that I have to "police" the situation myself because she is afraid to confront them. So, I have recorded and documented every action and will present my concern to the apartment manager again today and if nothing is done, I will contact their corporate offices. I am also making sure that every advertisement for this apartment complex has a comment from me on the living conditions so that no one else has to tolerate it.

It truly is sad when people who go around masquerading as adults act so much like animals. Again, I feel your pain and hope things are resolved for you positively.

BTW, the apartments are in North Highlands, CA (in Sacramento, CA) and are called Sierra Village Apartments.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Revenge (http://www.paladin-press.com/category/70 - broken link)

Here you go.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 23,730 times
Default I'm right there with you

My boyfriend has owned half a house in the city for 6 yrs. now. Although he has his own home, for the last 3 years he was living at my house while we fixed his up to sell it. I lost my job, had to sell my home and we had to move into his. Another family moved into the other side of his house(they own their side) while he was still living at my house. So for three years they've been practically living in a single family home, as far as noise goes. This is an old home, in a historic section, with plaster walls and connecting floorboards. We are VERY quiet people. I go to school fulltime and I am always busy writing and doing work at home. These people have three kids under the age of five, who are allowed to run and jump in the house.

Not to mention that the mother and father are very heavy footed. We hear everything including conversations, and screaming fits. I can't sleep, I can hardly live, I'm such a nervous wreck! We talked w/ them, and they say it isn't running and that we are hearing something else. If it sounds like running and feels like running, hmmmm, what is it? I think I learned that in third grade. There should be local laws in your township, or borough through the zoning rules that speak of Nuisance. There will be local and State statutes that pertain to landlord/tenant laws, and Nuisance laws. This would be considered a private nuisance. Depending on how long and frequent the events occur, not to mention any harm they cause, you may have some standing with the local magistrate and filing a nuisance charge against them, like in small claims court. I would try talking, but to be honest, most people don't care. It is a violation for a neighbor to create a disturbance which makes it uncomfortable and unreasonable for another neighbor to use their own property in relaxation. I can truly feel for your pain, and although I have a fan that works like a white noise machine, when the running and jumping starts, your body has a knee jerk reaction to a bomb going off. No white noise can take away the discomfort from bumping and thumping. These noises are startling sounds which after awhile could cause a person to become unable to sleep and have nervous disorders. It is really sad that the quiet people have to suffer.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 46,834 times
We long suffering apartment dwellers must simply save our money and buy a house. I am so enraged at my upstairs neighbor that I imagine all kinds of horrific scenarios where she is being tortured! I imagine she is a dumb ox, too stupid to learn how to walk gracefully and correctly! I always make sure that I tread lightly and gracefully upon the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting