Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by want_quiet View Post
By the way, unless a person has suffered the injustice of a neighbor from hell...they have NO WAY of understanding. I feel you.

Oh ain't that the truth !!!!

My neighbors were not even above me, as I am on the top, but next door. Every night for 6 and a half years I heard stomping, she sounded like a freight train..............fortunately the both of them were on a more or less same schedule with me so we all woke up together, (as I had no choice) and went to bed at the same time.....

But, unfortunetly for them, I like to be up early on my weekends and get the most of my days off, and they liked to sleep (never heard a peep from them in the weekend morning hours), so my kitchen is back to back with their bedroom, (insert evil grin here)

no really, insert EVIL grin here !!!

they did move, but it was 61/2 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 03:01 PM

402 posts, read 976,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd678 View Post
As far as if its concrete or not, I ripped up my carpet and looked for myself, it is concrete under there. This goes back to one of my great questions: how in the heck is the floor squeaking?
Sounds like my building- I am on the 1st floor which is actually above street level with shops under me and my floor is concrete, but the floors above are wood. The first level of the building is built with the brick, concrete and glass and the next levels are the 2x4 and wood construction. I have a walker above me also and the previous landlord tore out the carpet and installed a WOOD floor on top of the sub floor to get a better price and I hear everything... But thank God I can tune most of it out.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:03 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I really understand this too. My upstairs neighbor does martial arts above my head every night. He does it to some kind of house music that has thumping bass. I've talked to him about the bass three times (most recently on Christmas day) and he always turns down the bass right away (I shouldn't have have had to ask more than once). I haven't talked to him about the thumping though because he was so agreeable about the bass.

How do I know he's doing martial arts?

I walked the dog on the side of the building, looked up, and saw him standing near the huge window, going to town.

Sometimes he does seemingly choreographed dance steps.

Why don't these people take a first floor apartment?! I took a first floor apartment because my dog runs. Never again! I'd rather have to deal with my own dog running than have someone above me I can't control (I can tire out the dog on walks)!

My upstairs neighbor's floor creaks too. The only good thing is it doesn't last all that long once he's run through his routine.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,375 times
When you hear her stomping, pound on the ceiling with a broom or something. Keep it up as long as she does. Then, if she complains,tell her you'll stop when she does. That is, if she can hear you over her own clomping!

Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 AM

271 posts, read 785,474 times
Alright, I live in an upstairs apartment. I have a 21 month old who runs around all day long. When we moved into this complex, I was looking for a 2 bedroom. The only 2 bedroom they had available was upstairs. And to be honest, it is very hard to NOT make noise when walking, especially if your apartment buildings were made cheaply. I basically have to tip toe if I don't want to make noise when walking and that can get annoying. My daughter, I can do nothing about her. She is barely 2 and obviously doesn't understand the concept of people being downstairs and that running makes noise and annoys them. But actually they have never complained to me about the noise, I even apologized for how much noise my daughter makes but they don't mind. Before I lived upstairs I did live in a downstairs apartment and there was a petite girl living upstairs who sounded like a buffalo when she would walk. I would get really annoyed and we would complain to her but honestly, unless she tip toed around her apartment, there's nothing she could do. So I guess the lesson learned is if you can't handle someone's footsteps, live upstairs.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 20,180 times
I know that this thread has been going on for some time now, and though I'm unsure if anything ever came of the original poster to resolve the issue with the upstairs woman, this thread has prompted me to vent about my own personal curse, ie "neighbors from hell". We have been enduring over a year of having our ceiling used as a trampoline by the people upstairs. Not just one family, but two, residing in a one bedroom apartment the entire time. We attempted numerous times to speak with them and they have refused to open their door. We have left a cordial note asking them to please be more considerate of their downstairs neighbors, which was what we were advised to do by management. Still, nothing was resolved. After numerous complaints went unresolved, they counter-complained about our attempts to ask them to please keep it down. Unbelievable. As such, we have continued to deal with the daily disruptions the adults and children have been causing. After the new manager was notified about their inconsideration over time, and while the unauthorized people seemed to have left (as well as the children), the remaining people (adults behaving this way, mind you) have begun deliberately stomping and pounding on our ceiling whenever they feel like it, especially early in the mornings just prior to going out for the day. Each day they have purposefully pounded, jumped, run back and forth, etc at some point, despite the complaints made against them. Our holidays were dampened by their deliberate disruptions, and our guests were often frightened out of their skin. There was word that they were going to move, however we are now into the new month and they are still up there, still going out of their way to disturb our lives below. I personally have wanted to move for the entire time that they've been up there. My boyfriend, however, has no intentions of moving, even with all of the problems that we have been dealing with here. My physical and emotional stress has been at it's highest that I can recall ever. Anyone who has never had to deal with this sort of a situation, on any level, is more fortunate than they will EVER imagine. Ever. This has put a strain on my life, my relationship, my health, and my sanity.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmomma View Post
Alright, I live in an upstairs apartment. I have a 21 month old who runs around all day long. When we moved into this complex, I was looking for a 2 bedroom. The only 2 bedroom they had available was upstairs. And to be honest, it is very hard to NOT make noise when walking, especially if your apartment buildings were made cheaply. I basically have to tip toe if I don't want to make noise when walking and that can get annoying. My daughter, I can do nothing about her. She is barely 2 and obviously doesn't understand the concept of people being downstairs and that running makes noise and annoys them. But actually they have never complained to me about the noise, I even apologized for how much noise my daughter makes but they don't mind. Before I lived upstairs I did live in a downstairs apartment and there was a petite girl living upstairs who sounded like a buffalo when she would walk. I would get really annoyed and we would complain to her but honestly, unless she tip toed around her apartment, there's nothing she could do. So I guess the lesson learned is if you can't handle someone's footsteps, live upstairs.
Sounds like my building, with a tennant complaining about the baby stomping back and forth.
Well, as an adult, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure the baby isnt disturbing anyone else, the baby doesnt know it.
It is YOUR responsibility to put down carpeting with think padding so the baby can run freely.
Sorry, but I have no compassion for this.
I hate hearing mothers complain, well what do you want me to do, the baby is olny x years old.
Well, put down carpeting, problem solved.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd678 View Post
Hello.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am just tired of being tired, it is so loud that I can't sleep, think or anything and it seems the apartment managers could care less.
I have a neighbor whose bedroom is adjacent to mine. The alarm clock goes off at 5:45A and he shuts it off between 6:30A and 7:00A. That's Right! It beep, beep beeps sometimes for more than an hour. Otherwise, he and all of my upstairs and downstairs neighbors are very quiet. I bought these soft earplugs called Hearos: Ultimate softness series. I put them in right before I go to bed and I can't heart his alarm clock. I'm retired. If I need to set an alarm clock myself, I put the cell phone in bed with me and set it the alarm to vibrate in addition to the alarm.

Does your noisy neighbor have anyone living above them? If not, she may not realize how loud she actually is.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Sounds like my building, with a tennant complaining about the baby stomping back and forth.
Well, as an adult, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure the baby isnt disturbing anyone else, the baby doesnt know it.
It is YOUR responsibility to put down carpeting with think padding so the baby can run freely.
Sorry, but I have no compassion for this.
I hate hearing mothers complain, well what do you want me to do, the baby is olny x years old.
Well, put down carpeting, problem solved.
I tried that, didn't work. I continued to get whiny complaints from downstairs. So I gave up trying to please someone who can't be pleased, and I ripped up the carpet and put back the rugs. Rugs over hardwood floors look so much nicer.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I would in no way in hell pay to carpet a rental unit because normal footfalls were a problem for somebody. If the complaining tenant wants to take it up with the landlord/management company, and the solution they come up with to muffle normal, everyday noises of living is to carpet my apartment, more power to them. But it's not my responsibility.

I've been a renter most of my adult life, didn't become a homeowner until about three months ago. One of the things I learned in a long tenure of renting in a variety of types of building is when you don't own the building, you have no choice but to make compromises (actually, this is true of anybody who does own, too, if they have neighbors). One of these is that if you share ceilings/floors and/or walls, and adjoining units are occupied, you will get a certain amount of residual noise from neighbors. It goes with the territory. Don't like it, don't rent, or rent a stand-alone house.

Don't get me wrong. There is noise of the sort that is nuisance ordinance, tenant agreement-violating racket. There is noise that's out of bounds and punishable by law or rental contract. But it's hard to argue that the normal sounds of living (I'm talking the "Oh, my God, I can hear my neighbor RUNNING WATER!!!! What's UP with that? And she's WALKING AROUND!!! GOD!!!" complaints) are something you expect that you shouldn't have to just live with, by virtue of renting in a multi-tenant building. It's part and parcel of apartment dwelling. Not all noise is unreasonable, just because it annoys you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting