Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 10:54 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times

Advertisements

I tend to be annoyed at noise above me from the people upstairs but since they don't make noise between 12am and 10am I have learned to accept any kind of noise I hear between 11am and 11pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 12:21 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrd463 View Post
I think it just comes down to being self-aware and proactively courteous to those around you, something we as a society in general seem to lack.
Yes, that's exactly it, I feel. It seems that many may be considerate, but it's rough that some just don't care and were not taught to be respectful of others, then become resentful if being asked to alter behavior. This scenario will just continue if there are not some changes made to help prevent it.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,659 times
I currently live in and apartment complex and am dealing with a noisy upstairs neighbor.when we moved in with in two months she had a big fight with her boy friend which lasted for hours.finally I had enough and called police she then said I had a barking dog which was not true.here iam months later still dealing with it and management gives me the run around making it look like I created the problem. I told them I want to break my lease and move on if they can not solve the problem ian still getting nowhere.i also wrote a letter to the public housing authority.we shall see if I make it to September
this apartment complex is owned by Chelsea manangement out of Lakewood nj

Old 06-05-2018, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,507 times
I live upstairs in an apartment complex and my neighbor always complains about me walking around my apartment. I have all wood floors that creak. I can't even sleep in the bedroom above her bedroom because she threatens to go to rental office if I keep her up at night making noise by walking talking watching TV. OMG I can't afford to move.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrnk7 View Post
I live upstairs in an apartment complex and my neighbor always complains about me walking around my apartment. I have all wood floors that creak. I can't even sleep in the bedroom above her bedroom because she threatens to go to rental office if I keep her up at night making noise by walking talking watching TV. OMG I can't afford to move.
If it's after 11pm then I can see the person having a issue Quiet time is 11pm to 9am

Old 06-26-2018, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
Default Dont get mad get even

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Guess you know now why the other people moved out before you eh?

BTW - you cant hear footsteps and squeaking through concrete. They lied to you about that existing as part of the structure. If you want to call them on it contact your local building inspection office. Email you local city council to point you in the right direction.

You are suffering with a poorly insulated wood floor. Wood squeaks.
If you get pissed off maybe that will solve it? People dont understand being nice, make a scene they will get the message.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:36 PM

Aside from cleaning or cooking, I could never understand why I would hear someone constantly walking around who lives alone

Old 06-27-2018, 03:49 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Aside from cleaning or cooking, I could never understand why I would hear someone constantly walking around who lives alone
I feel badly for anyone experiencing this problem, especially if not being really heard or helped by those who are supposed to do so, and hope those posting have gotten relief. It's painful.. all most anyone is trying to do is tend to things, quietly hear music or watch TV, maintain a schedule and be able to sleep without interference, no matter what one's hours may be.

Though some do understand about shared housing and being aware of their actions, having consideration instilled in them early on, there is otherwise the type who appears to expect to have things the way they want, no matter what the situation. They don't seem to care if they are overbearing and are overwhelming another's space, thinking they "have a right to do as they want". There can be such an attitude that causes issues due to the resentment of the offender, though they are the ones who come barreling in, having expectations of how they can live. This is something management / owners should establish, that there are limitations, but seems they do not always.

Though some of the issues with my current neighbor have been addressed (after too long), he is a stomper and don't know how that can be resolved. I have determined that other neighbors here are not experiencing what I have on my ceiling with it "cracking" and "snapping" with each step, so it is certain people. As quoted above to address, this guy does just that, walking back and forth for long periods and I will wonder what he is doing (having had a couple of others do that before).

Old 07-03-2018, 10:25 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
I had one apartment where I had purposely taken a downstairs unit as I had a young son & didn't want to constantly make him he quiet. Unfortunately, the young woman who lived above me was a partier & management would do nothing about the noise.

I was young & didn't know the rules so eventually I just moved so I could get some sleep. I wonder how many people she ran off & if they ever evicted her. This was over 40 years ago so rules may have been different. I have no idea.

But, having to move can be expensive, especially when you're young. There's utility changes & general moving costs involved. In my case, back then, I had friends who helped but it was still tough.

Having to move because you have an inconsiderate neighbor is stressful & challenging. I feel for anyone going through this.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I had one apartment where I had purposely taken a downstairs unit as I had a young son & didn't want to constantly make him he quiet. Unfortunately, the young woman who lived above me was a partier & management would do nothing about the noise.

I was young & didn't know the rules so eventually I just moved so I could get some sleep. I wonder how many people she ran off & if they ever evicted her. This was over 40 years ago so rules may have been different. I have no idea.

But, having to move can be expensive, especially when you're young. There's utility changes & general moving costs involved. In my case, back then, I had friends who helped but it was still tough.

Having to move because you have an inconsiderate neighbor is stressful & challenging. I feel for anyone going through this.
I try to be open-minded about noise over my head as long as it's not during 12am to 9am. I figured someone could be

Cleaning
Cooking
Coming out of the shower

So as long as they are not interrupting my sleep then I am flexible even though it's still annoying lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting