Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 12:02 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times

Advertisements

Well, to update, after experiencing more of my neighbor's middle-of-the-night disruptive behavior, I recently let the manager know at 3:35 am one night, leaving a message. He tends to drop very heavy objects, knocking things over, possibly falling since the impact is such to shake the entire ceiling. Besides this, he does his kitchen duties at that hour (which he once denied to the manager. Liar. I AM the ONE having to witness everything.

She got back to me later and I told her I could not take it anymore, and she finally said that with help from the supervisor, he may be moved to a lower unit when it opens up. Fine. Thank God. But who knows when that may be, since there are few one-bedrooms and an don't think anyone is moving soon. I have not spoken to her since she must have covered this with the supervisor and the neighbor, but seems she may have impacted him with being more conscious of his actions.

I don't know if he is drinking and falling or what, but suspect that, besides the HARD footsteps have always been so nerve-wracking. I have only experienced a couple of tenants walking excessively hard in the same unit prior and does not seem to be about one's size, but how one learned to walk (besides sometimes wearing heavy shoes). I wish people like this would just be aware of themselves and think, "No, I should have a lower unit". Simple. But no. Instead, with some it's the old "I pay rent and can do what I want" entitled mentality. (Also, why doesn't management firmly establish what is appropriate or not in the first place, then there would not be all these hassles for those trying to cope with and management.

I told the manager, this comes down to:

His odd schedule.
His lifestyle and habits.
His excessively-hard footfalls.
His lack of consideration.

I have said prior that I would even take another unit here if possible, though would be such a pain, and of course would like to be located under one of the pleasant, considerate tenants. Then, what if they move? (To refresh, I would live upstairs myself, but not doing that nowadays or will otherwise move elsewhere, when actually possible). The bottom line in these cases is - this being a personality problem, happening anywhere.

His being downstairs would be best for everyone, though those above him may still hear certain racket (especially if he thinks he can return to using his amplified sound system all the time, including during the wee hours). I actually hope it is later confirmed by others how disruptive he can be.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 08-09-2018 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: Adjustment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 07:59 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by positive.feelings View Post
Good for you????
That doesn't work for everyone.
U can't say too much if the noise is before 12am or after 9am. Now if someone is working out over your head then u have a right to say something

Old 10-05-2018, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,642 times
Hi everyone, I'm writing here because I have the same situation going on in my new apartment.

Me and my husband mooved here 2 months ago and we had barely 6 hours sleep a night since then.

There is a couple upstairs and she really sound like Godzilla...what a feminine grace! I'm impressed.

Oh! She's just back home while I'm typing and... BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM in addiction to a very low quality but loud dancing music.

Now, I really don't care about her stomping like a frustrated buffalo during the day but I'd like to sleep at night.

They are dictating us when to sleep and when to get up instead.

We tried to be patient hoping to get use to it and thinking that it would have been awkward going upstairs to complain, we told ourselves that maybe she's not aware and certainly she's not doing it on purpose...

But this is wrong, she simply doesn't give a s**t bout us otherwise she would't hoover her house at 11.30 pm and running a wasging machine till 4am.

To whom who says that stomping is nornal living noise...well no, it's not.
I've lived in apartments in condos all over my life and this is the very first time I hear something like that.

I've received a stricted education and I was taught to be very respectful of other people even when it require making a sacrifice in order to do that. So I think this people are just rude and they're just showing their lack of a good education and self centred way of living.

Walking like this is just a bad attitude and it doesn't require a so big effort to be modified.

There's a big difference between walking and hitting the flor as a buffalo.

She and her boyfriend walk on the same floor and we can hear her only.

So yes, you can ask someone to make an effort to not turn your life in a nightmare.

We decided to try to talk to them friendly, let's see what happens. If nothing is going to change we will try the management.

And to those who says "leave", I'd like to say that it's not always an option, where I live there is big house crisis going on and it can take even more than 7 months to get a decent place to live (if you're lucky).

So we're stuck here, like in a prison.

Moreover this apartment is incredibly nice considering the standard that our city is offering and we don't want to go through the house hunting a day more!

I have a big last question: why it seems to be always women to be so inconsiderate loud stompers?

Old 10-05-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapille View Post
Hi everyone, I'm writing here because I have the same situation going on in my new apartment.

Me and my husband mooved here 2 months ago and we had barely 6 hours sleep a night since then.

There is a couple upstairs and she really sound like Godzilla...what a feminine grace! I'm impressed.

Oh! She's just back home while I'm typing and... BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM in addiction to a very low quality but loud dancing music.

Now, I really don't care about her stomping like a frustrated buffalo during the day but I'd like to sleep at night.

They are dictating us when to sleep and when to get up instead.

We tried to be patient hoping to get use to it and thinking that it would have been awkward going upstairs to complain, we told ourselves that maybe she's not aware and certainly she's not doing it on purpose...

But this is wrong, she simply doesn't give a s**t bout us otherwise she would't hoover her house at 11.30 pm and running a wasging machine till 4am.

To whom who says that stomping is nornal living noise...well no, it's not.
I've lived in apartments in condos all over my life and this is the very first time I hear something like that.

I've received a stricted education and I was taught to be very respectful of other people even when it require making a sacrifice in order to do that. So I think this people are just rude and they're just showing their lack of a good education and self centred way of living.

Walking like this is just a bad attitude and it doesn't require a so big effort to be modified.

There's a big difference between walking and hitting the flor as a buffalo.

She and her boyfriend walk on the same floor and we can hear her only.

So yes, you can ask someone to make an effort to not turn your life in a nightmare.

We decided to try to talk to them friendly, let's see what happens. If nothing is going to change we will try the management.

And to those who says "leave", I'd like to say that it's not always an option, where I live there is big house crisis going on and it can take even more than 7 months to get a decent place to live (if you're lucky).

So we're stuck here, like in a prison.

Moreover this apartment is incredibly nice considering the standard that our city is offering and we don't want to go through the house hunting a day more!

I have a big last question: why it seems to be always women to be so inconsiderate loud stompers?

sometimes it can be the age of the building and they may not know how loud they sound. Ear plugs can work for sleeping hours

Old 10-06-2018, 03:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
sometimes it can be the age of the building and they may not know how loud they sound. Ear plugs can work for sleeping hours
If it's just the age of the building why we can hear just her and not her husband? I think instead that it has something to do with the way she walks (heavily and with no grace).

About the ear plugs, I tried to sleep with them for a while now and I got a kind of tinnitus and pain on my left ear and that just contributes to make me feel even more hungry

Anyway we are going to politely talk to them because, as you said, maybe they are not aware of how loud they are.
I hope for the best, wish us luck *.*

Last edited by Lapille; 10-06-2018 at 04:19 AM..

Old 10-17-2018, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,437 times
So I can give the perspective of someone that has an upper floor condo who is constantly getting complaints from their neighbor directly beneath them.

Some set up:

We do not own the condo; we rent it.
The condo is entirely carpeted save for the bathrooms and kitchen.
We do not wear shoes in the house.
I'm 5'4 and weigh 135, fiance is 5'11 and weighs about 170.
We have two 10 pound cats (Yes, this is relevant)

We began getting complaints from the downstairs neighbor about a month or two after living there. The first was that he could hear a movie I was watching. This complaint was at about 9:30 maybe 10:00. Fair enough. I turned off the surround sound and haven't used it since.

The next was when I was home alone, had no appliances running, and was reading a book. He came up saying he could hear our laundry machine......that was not running. I explained to him that large complexes are weird; sometimes where you think a sound is coming from is not actually where it's coming from.

The third time was when my fiance was home. He had been playing a video game (maybe around 6pm). He came to complain he could hear it. This was then the first time he complained about being able to hear us walking and told us to ask the landlords if they would install new carpets with sound proofing materials in between. We appeased his request, asked the landlords, they said no.

The next time, we weren't even home. He called security on our cat sitter who was watching TV. Security came into the apartment, listened to the TV and sided with the cat sitter that it was not loud.

Next time, he came up at 5:30 p.m. to complain about us walking and even asked us if as a courtesy to him, could we limit our walking? This was kind of the final straw for us in taking any complaint seriously any more.

He has also complained that in the morning he can hear our cats running around. Again, something that there is no reasonable solution for us to fix for him.

As a result of the complaints from downstairs, we have since:
Stopped using any surround sound (actually, we didn't even get to start using it really)
Wear slippers
Keep our TV to a barely audible level at night
Doing no laundry after 6 pm
Anytime we play a video game in the evening, we wear headphones
Feel like we are walking on eggshells in an apartment we pay $2,200 a month for (this is in Los Angeles)
Never have people over because we are sure he will complain

I have lived in five apartments as an adult and never once had a noise complaint and in all but one place I had a top floor unit. He on the other hand told us that he had the same issues with the people living here before us.

He keeps threatening to make a formal complaint to the HOA....and we have been encouraging him to do so because many of these complaints are unreasonable. We do not play loud music, we do not have parties, we do not have kids running around, we do not have dogs barking, etc. ALL of these things exist in our complex and if we hear them, he certainly does too, right? So I wonder, does he complain about all of these things or are we specifically being targetted?

What does everyone here think? At this point, we are one complaint away of filing a complaint against HIM for harassment. I'm sure he does hear us, but when it's something like walking, what are we supposed to do about that more than what we already are? He really shouldn't be in a lower level unit or a complex like this at all if he is that bothered by it.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmiterko View Post
So I can give the perspective of someone that has an upper floor condo who is constantly getting complaints from their neighbor directly beneath them.

Some set up:

We do not own the condo; we rent it.
The condo is entirely carpeted save for the bathrooms and kitchen.
We do not wear shoes in the house.
I'm 5'4 and weigh 135, fiance is 5'11 and weighs about 170.
We have two 10 pound cats (Yes, this is relevant)

We began getting complaints from the downstairs neighbor about a month or two after living there. The first was that he could hear a movie I was watching. This complaint was at about 9:30 maybe 10:00. Fair enough. I turned off the surround sound and haven't used it since.

The next was when I was home alone, had no appliances running, and was reading a book. He came up saying he could hear our laundry machine......that was not running. I explained to him that large complexes are weird; sometimes where you think a sound is coming from is not actually where it's coming from.

The third time was when my fiance was home. He had been playing a video game (maybe around 6pm). He came to complain he could hear it. This was then the first time he complained about being able to hear us walking and told us to ask the landlords if they would install new carpets with sound proofing materials in between. We appeased his request, asked the landlords, they said no.

The next time, we weren't even home. He called security on our cat sitter who was watching TV. Security came into the apartment, listened to the TV and sided with the cat sitter that it was not loud.

Next time, he came up at 5:30 p.m. to complain about us walking and even asked us if as a courtesy to him, could we limit our walking? This was kind of the final straw for us in taking any complaint seriously any more.

He has also complained that in the morning he can hear our cats running around. Again, something that there is no reasonable solution for us to fix for him.

As a result of the complaints from downstairs, we have since:
Stopped using any surround sound (actually, we didn't even get to start using it really)
Wear slippers
Keep our TV to a barely audible level at night
Doing no laundry after 6 pm
Anytime we play a video game in the evening, we wear headphones
Feel like we are walking on eggshells in an apartment we pay $2,200 a month for (this is in Los Angeles)
Never have people over because we are sure he will complain

I have lived in five apartments as an adult and never once had a noise complaint and in all but one place I had a top floor unit. He on the other hand told us that he had the same issues with the people living here before us.

He keeps threatening to make a formal complaint to the HOA....and we have been encouraging him to do so because many of these complaints are unreasonable. We do not play loud music, we do not have parties, we do not have kids running around, we do not have dogs barking, etc. ALL of these things exist in our complex and if we hear them, he certainly does too, right? So I wonder, does he complain about all of these things or are we specifically being targetted?

What does everyone here think? At this point, we are one complaint away of filing a complaint against HIM for harassment. I'm sure he does hear us, but when it's something like walking, what are we supposed to do about that more than what we already are? He really shouldn't be in a lower level unit or a complex like this at all if he is that bothered by it.
If what you’re saying is true, you’re not doing anything wrong; tell him to pound sand.

You can do laundry after 6 PM… You can also walk around your apartment whenever you want… This guy just sounds like a psycho and he needs to move.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:14 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
It's really a difficult situation for many. Either way, someone above or below will feel that are not getting a fair shake and are paying rent, etc. I understand and it is touchy. People shouldn't have to have these issues and there should be a consciousness and mutual respect involved amongst building neighbors. It is difficult to assess what noise level is really bothersome to any individual, but will be thought that one living below is being "oversensitive". It is tricky determining the line between daily living sounds and disruptive noise. I will say, it is known that sound travels downward, more.

I have said about my current neighbor that HE should not live in an upstairs unit. It's not the building, since over many years and many tenants, have mostly had those above who were not bothersome, 3 being hard-walkers, including the current guy. His floor / my ceiling will now actually "crack" and "snap" and vibrate with a low-frequency thud as he walks at his usual quick gait, which at times is frequent, back and forth for hours. I know that a person walks as they walk, but honestly, I think if he had to endure hearing himself, he would not enjoy it much either.

Initially, he would play loud music, creating bass noise and booming TV during the hours of 11:00 pm to 4-5 am, since this is his "evening time", arriving home around 10:30 pm. It was miserable for me, since this is my peaceful time, quietly watching late TV myself, having it interfered with, apparently his having amplified sound (and seeing large speakers when he was moving in). (I don't have too large a TV and is in a unit, no one ever being bothered and am otherwise conscious of others and my own actions). It took some excruciating months getting the audio noise to end, via the manager. During these hours, he also often creates THUDS, slams windows, makes loud noises in the kitchen. (Of course, if home during the day, it's the same).

Some previous neighbors I would know were home, but were not bothersome and were considerate, but once it began being a disruptive sort upstairs, I began staying up later after they quieted down..to relax. It's all been disrupted, now. He has dictated how things go for me and though I am not working at this stage, I would still like to have my own daytime / sleep schedule, having already developed insomnia.

I feel that between his work schedule, habits, behavior and mentality, he should not live upstairs (and maybe not in joined housing at all). I feel that anyone else in the building would have been disrupted by him, also. I think it needs to be considered that if wanting surround sound, TV's installed on walls, playing video games, yelling and clapping during TV sports, using exercise equipment, keeping odd hours or loud sex all night, are inappropriate for apartments and best suited for detached housing.

I have mentioned that I am seeking specific housing which is hard to attain (also Southern CA), which is why I cannot freely move anywhere I want. I might like to be upstairs myself, yet between an Osteoarthritic knee, being older and concerns about being in a high-rise for instance with a possible quake or fire and no working elevator, limits my options, besides.

I know it is a difficult situation all the way around and renters just want to enjoy their living space, no matter what. I wish everyone luck with working these issues out. It doesn't always work to have conversations, unfortunately and that is where it gets worse, since I think we would all prefer neighborly relations.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:30 AM

Seems like it's a positive and negative to living on the top floor when renting. If you are on the floor you have to worry about being too loud in addition to doing laundry and food delivery. And if you are on the lower floors then you have to deal with noise over your head which can sometimes be doing quiet time.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 7,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If what you’re saying is true, you’re not doing anything wrong; tell him to pound sand.

You can do laundry after 6 PM… You can also walk around your apartment whenever you want… This guy just sounds like a psycho and he needs to move.
Totally 100 percent true. That's why I'm so exasperated. I'm not sure about his mental state and have tried not to make assumptions, but he does seem at the least to be socially inept and meticulous.

Last edited by cgmiterko; 10-18-2018 at 09:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting