Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 09:27 PM

24 posts, read 248,976 times

Advertisements

when we signed our lease the LL gave us the form to switch or water over from the last tenant. we went to the office with the form, copy of our lease and paid the connection fee. after 2+ months i started to worry that we hadn't received a bill. i called the water company and they couldn't find our names on the account. somehow it got hooked up under the LL name and the bill was being sent to his office. i'm not sure why he didn't contact us sooner about this. luckily he's an understand man and said to just pay the bill along with our rent this month and we're going to try to get is straightened out ASAP. i don't understand why this happened. did someone goof up at the water dept.? i'm hoping this will be an easy fix. should i be aware of an issues this might bring upon us? we're in Dekalb county, GA if that helps anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 61,173 times
Here in NY it is by law that water is paid by the landlord... is it not like that there?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:22 AM

i don't know. when they were looking up our account they pulled up the last tenants names. they must have had it in their names or it wouldn't be there, right? i'm going to shoot the LL a e-mail asking him if they told him what's going on. i don't have the account number or a bill to take down to straighten this out.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereforadvice View Post
Here in NY it is by law that water is paid by the landlord... is it not like that there?
It varies and in some places like drought areas of CA... the water utilities have a program to individualize meters in an effort to promote conservation.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It varies and in some places like drought areas of CA... the water utilities have a program to individualize meters in an effort to promote conservation.
i should clarify it a single family house.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:06 AM

21 posts, read 95,786 times
I think its not uncommon for water bills to be put in the LL name. Water bills are one of those utilities that get attached to tax leans so the utility companies want to make sure the owner of the property is aware of delinquent payments

Old 11-03-2008, 08:39 AM

153 posts, read 563,976 times
I've had some places that the water/sewer/garbage was paid my the landlord and sometimes not. Most of the time here (utah) the lanlord pays them if it's a building with more than one unit. But in my most previous apartment, they changed it and made the tenants pay the water....I think it helps people be more conscious on how much they are using.

The place I am now, a single family home, we pay everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting