Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 09:57 PM

6 posts, read 20,385 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that the apartment complex prorates the carpet when you move out. Now when I moved in 6 months ago this was new carpet. But it sure has worn quickly. Obviously very cheap carpet. What does prorating the carpet mean exactly. Am I expected to pay a portion of new carpet cost? Am I allowed to request the receipt for the carpet they purchased and the installation. I mean, they can say the carpet cost three times more than it actually did. How do I nail this down. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 01:18 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,642 times
Do they say the carpet needs to be replaced? Ask them their 'life expectancy' on their carpet also. Any reputable company will be able to show you a bill for the costs of what was done. Or what has needed to be done upon your moveout. Do a walk through WITH your manager. Always do a walk thru when you move in and dont be afraid to write down/interject problems you see. That will save you headaches in the end. I recommend videotaping the unit before and after.

Old 11-27-2008, 02:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
It's hard to believe even the cheapest carpet would not look almost new, if not new, in 6 months with reasonable care.
Has it been cleaned yet?

Old 11-28-2008, 04:06 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
I rented a townhouse that had been newly carpeted. I never seen carpet that cheap. The nap could have only been 1/8". In a few days the carpet was compressing in the walked areas. I did not get charged upon leaving mainly because I brought the quality of the carpet to the landlords attention immediately.
Always photograph and, as suggested, videotape. Bring anything that you question to the landlords attention right away.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
Carpet wear-and-tear is not recoverable by your landlord. If you intentionally damaged it or it is torn, burned, or stained by you, then that is your responsibility. However, carpet wear is not the tenant's problem. That's why landlords charge more if you have more people living there, as things like this will wear out faster. If he bought cheap carpet, he should expect it to wear faster. Most experienced landlords put Berber carpet in their units, as it is more durable and affordable than most other kinds (but hard to clean). Small claims courts will side with the tenant if the landlord is trying to upgrade his apartment at the tenant's expense. It happens all the time.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:50 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
I would like to add a word of caution. I had been a home owner for many years and decided to sell and rent a town home because of my age. I foolishly trusted the landlord's rep, the manger, who did everything possible to avoid providing me with a copy of the lease prior to signing. Every time I asked she said it was a standard lease and not to worry about it. I did and I got burned. I finally saw the lease on my move in day and there was little I could do about it at that point without losing thousands of dollars in the process. That lease was anything but standard, they had every possible cost build into the lease including carpet wear.
PLEASE GO OVER THE LEASE PRIOR TO MOVING IN. IF THE LANDLORD IS NOT WILLING TO LET YOU SEE THE LEASE WELL IN ADVANCE - WALK AWAY. If you decide to sign the lease, walk through with the manager or landlord, and note all discrepancies. Take photos or videotape everything prior to moving in and keep the results safe until you move out. DO NOT TRUST LANDLORDS, they are not you friend, they are in business and they are looking to make a profit from you.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:58 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I would like to add a word of caution. I had been a home owner for many years and decided to sell and rent a town home because of my age. I foolishly trusted the landlord's rep, the manger, who did everything possible to avoid providing me with a copy of the lease prior to signing. Every time I asked she said it was a standard lease and not to worry about it. I did and I got burned. I finally saw the lease on my move in day and there was little I could do about it at that point without losing thousands of dollars in the process. That lease was anything but standard, they had every possible cost build into the lease including carpet wear.
PLEASE GO OVER THE LEASE PRIOR TO MOVING IN. IF THE LANDLORD IS NOT WILLING TO LET YOU SEE THE LEASE WELL IN ADVANCE - WALK AWAY. If you decide to sign the lease, walk through with the manager or landlord, and note all discrepancies. Take photos or videotape everything prior to moving in and keep the results safe until you move out. DO NOT TRUST LANDLORDS, they are not you friend, they are in business and they are looking to make a profit from you.

I agree with this 100%. I want to move out of where I live so bad but it would cost me $2000 to break my lease PLUS the cost of monthly rental until they find someone to move in.

Always walk through and photograph everything to make sure that you have all bases covered.

Also, point out to the landlord the carpet asap. That way it is documented. Make sure to document in writing also and keep a copy.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:46 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
[quote=donsabi;6367635] PLEASE GO OVER THE LEASE PRIOR TO MOVING IN.

Definately! I've purchased rentals where the lease was so far from legal, I couldn't believe anyone would have signed it. Most renters think that landlords know what they're doing. Most renters are wrong. Have an attorney review any contract before signing it. A lease is a contract!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting