Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,394 times

Advertisements

We just rented a house that had been up for sale - we signed a lease so they took it off the market. While listed with a realtor it said it was under "renovations" because the flooring has been all pulled out, and only plywood remains. The owners said that they were waiting for a buyer to decide what flooring he wanted, and then they would replace it.

Well, we just rented it, no flooring and all, and they took it off the market. My husband is a carpenter and can easily put in the flooring, as long as he has the materials to work with.The leasing contract stated that repairs and things like flooring could be deducted from the rent, if agreed to by the owner.

The floor is completely unlivable and we need to put something in ASAP. I'm worried because the owners and their kids had been living with the plywood floors for a long time - they painted over it to make it look like "carpet," they said. I don't think they have much money, and had to move in a hurry. I am sure they really needed our rent money to keep paying for the house. I am sure that they weren't able to rent this for a long time because of the floor situation. My husband is up to the challege of replacing the flooring, and the house location is excellent, so we went for it.

We just moved in this weekend, and I sent the owners an email message saying that my husband (a carpenter) will replace the flooring for free, but we want to deduct from next month's rent for flooring. I haven't heard back and am very worried. They lived like this, so do they expect us to? I can just hear them saying that it is Christmastime and that they don't want us to do this or deduct from rent yet.

We cannot afford to pay full rent and put in flooring. If they say no to it, do we have any rights? The floor is gross- dirty, chipped tile, half pulled out in the kitchen, no flooring (plywood) in 2 bedrooms and living room, and old, haphazardly placed carpet in master room.

If they don't get back to us or don't agree to flooring this month, we will do it anyway, deduct from the rent for Jan., and send the receipt for materials. We can't live with no flooring.

Any thoughts? I may be jumping the gun and they may agree to this - but haven't heard back and am starting to worry. We literally have to wear shoes throughout the house because it is so nasty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:38 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
You signed a lease and it probably stated you accept the house in the condition, including the floors. You would be in trouble if you replace the floors and deduct it from the rent without an agreement in WRITING, in spite of what the lease says.
Just wait to hear. The owner may need to get his act together before he can afford to pay for the flooring. Ask the owner to go shopping with you for flooring and make the deal together. don't expect the owner to shell out for the whole house at one time. Take it easy and work with the owner. You said he had to move quickly and like you, he may not be able to afford a house payment AND a new floor all at once.
It's better to keep on good terms and try to work with the owner than to start off with an adversary to your home and need to do the floors.
Remember, you rented it as is, work with the guy.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the response. The owner lives in another state, so we wouldn't be able to go shopping together, but I told her that my husband is seeking the most affordable option. Of course we would discuss all options and finances before making any purchases, to make sure the owner is ok with the price of materials. The cost of the flooring would be coming out of our pockets, not the owners'. We just would like them to deduct from the rent payment. Believe me, they are VERY lucky that we agreed to rent the house in this condition-and only because my husband is a carpenter- because no one would have wanted it with the floors in this condition. I noticed that they had to keep lowering rent, probably because no one wanted it like this.

I understand that they may be tight on money, but these floors really are disgusting. We are paying $850 a month, and I think we can expect to have decent flooring - this isn't just an issue of cleanliness- there truly isn't ANY flooring in most of the house. Plywood is not acceptable flooring for most renters. Who wants to have to wear shoes in the house at all times due to avoiding getting splinters?

I looked at the Florida (where we are) state laws, and it said that tenants must have decent flooring. These have to be unsanitary at the least. And very uncomfortable.

I mean, come on, the owners are getting a huge break - my husband ( a professional carpenter) is putting the floors in HIMSELF, at no cost to them. The cost of labor ALONE would be the amount of one month of rent.

I am really regretting signing this lease now, as I haven't heard back from the owners yet about this. Who else on this forum would live without flooring for months at a time?? I don't think $850 is cheap; it isn't like we are living in the slums. I work hard for my money and want to be able to live comfortably. Sorry I am venting here- I am just very upset right now. So much so that we will definitely break this lease if they don't agree to the flooring this month. It took us 3 hours to scrub away the filth on the windows, doors and every other place today. My mom mentioned that they should be paying US to live there, for all of the work we are doing!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
"Well, we just rented it, no flooring and all, and they took it off the market. My husband is a carpenter and can easily put in the flooring, as long as he has the materials to work with.The leasing contract stated that repairs and things like flooring could be deducted from the rent, if agreed to by the owner."

I think you've answered your own question in the above. You might have gotten the owner to agree to floor replacement and the requisite rent deduction before you moved in. If he doesn't agree- likely because he can't afford to- you should put the floors in yourself. Your husband's labor is "free" and you can probably get inexpensive "surplus" flooring material. You knew you were getting a big bargain on the rent ($850 for a house is mighty cheap where I live!!), so if you stay there long enough it will even out and you'll have a good relationship with the owner instead of an adversarial one which always ends in tears.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Agree with the previous posters. You took the house "as is" and signed a lease which clearly stated that repairs could be made by the lessee only WITH THE CONSENT OF THE LANDLORD. You can't just turn around now and say well, the landlord is lucky to have us. Nor can you go ahead and do anything without the consent of the landlord. You said you only contacted the landlord over the weekend and surely it's only Monday today?

I'm sure the landlord will work with you if you ask rather than demand - and not everything is a lawsuit. Good luck. Cheers!

Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Goodness gracious, why were so so...um, uninsightful...to rent the place knowing it had no flooring? Your fault, you signed the lease. You're probably stuck with the problem now.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Goodness gracious, why were so so...um, uninsightful...to rent the place knowing it had no flooring? Your fault, you signed the lease. You're probably stuck with the problem now.
We signed it because they said they would deduct rent for improvements, and they noted that they knew the flooring needed work! I guess I should have gotten the exact improvements in writing prior to signing though - that part IS our fault.

I heard back today and it looks like they are going to work with us, so all should be good. Thanks to all for the advice!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Now we can all calm down. It's so much better to talk and negotiate what is happening instead of going into panic mode and speed dial the lawyer.
So often I see this, people want to get all excited about an issue when talking is the first step.
I'm glad it's working. Remember, get all the points in writing before doing anything.
Next time you rent a house call me, I have some repairs needed and would LOVE a tenant do it while paying rent.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:27 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Glad it's working out for you... and look at it as a learning experience.

My State only requires a floor to be structurally sound and safe from trip hazards.

I've seen some high end rentals in Berkeley CA with stained concrete kitchen and family room floors, concrete counter tops and varnished plywood bedroom floors... the entire complex was marketed as GREEN built and environmentally low impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting