Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times

Advertisements

The townhome next door to my son has been vacant for more than 10 months. The owner left in the middle of the night, police and federal marshalls had been by numerous times looking for the guy and a couple of months ago, the guy was arrested for murder. There was an eye witness and the guy has a record, so he's not coming back.

Now my son has rats in his unit. He has no pets and is not a dirty person, so I am thinking that it must be from the garbage left inside the neighbor's unit. When owner left, he deserted his two dogs (Abandoned pit bulls), so there could be pet food or other things inside that would attract the rats.

I think that someone should squat in the unit. Just have it rekeyed, turn the electricity on and take over. I know that it will be foreclosed on eventually, but even then, many banks aren't even checking the places once they get them back. It could be a year before anyone enters the unit. And during that time, the refrigerator is breeding who knows what.

Therefore, my theory is that in this situation, squatting would be a win-win situation. Someone would get a free place to live and the unit would be cleaned up- a plus for the neighbors and the HOA. AND, the bank's property would be preserved.

If this were to occur, who would be harmed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
The townhome next door to my son has been vacant for more than 8 months. The owner left in the middle of the night, police and federal marshalls had been by numerous times looking for the guy and a couple of months ago, the guy was arrested for murder. There was an eye witness and the guy has a record, so he's not coming back.

Now my son has rats in his unit. He has no pets and is not a dirty person, so I am thinking that it must be from the garbage left inside the neighbor's unit. When he left, he deserted his two dogs in the back yard, so there could be pet food or other things inside that would attract the rats.

I think that someone should squat in the unit. Just have it rekeyed, turn the electricity on and take over. I know that it will be foreclosed on eventually, but even then, many banks aren't even checking the places once they get them back. It could be a year before anyone enters the unit. And during that time, the refrigerator is breeding who knows what.

Therefore, my theory is that in this situation, squatting would be a win-win situation. Someone would get a free place to live and the unit would be cleaned up- a plus for the neighbors and the HOA. AND, the bank's property would be preserved.

Well, notwithstanding the fact that he would be engaged in criminal trespassing, I would certainly NOT want to live in a house where someone who is wanted by Federal Marshals used to live! It would just be my luck that someone would tell them that *I* was the dude they were looking for and they would break in, guns blazing, and shoot me. Not to mention the relatives of the people that the guy MURDERED. Oh yea, that's where *I* would want to live - NOT.

There are lots and lots of places out there that are vacant and not cared for. I think that sooner or later a lot of people are going to be squatting in them. I don't think there is a lot of harm in it if they maintain the house and take care of it. But a lot of people are just going to tear them up and move on.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
Report the residence to the local health department or code inspectors (and complain often enough you are on a first name basis). Recruit other neighbors to do the same. Eventually they will go in and muck it out then put a lien on it. BTW, what happened to the dogs?

Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I would call the health department and the police. Maybe the rats are chompin at dead bodies.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:31 PM

Default The Dogs- we called them Big Head and White Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
BTW, what happened to the dogs?
Animal control finally picked them up and was very helpful in holding them when CDers started scheming to find homes for them. Because they were not my son's, they bent the rules to waive the adoption fee.

Many made many calls and inquiries around the country looking for no-kill shelters that would take them. I wish I could remember the names of the many, many CDers who got involved.

Ultimately, a woman on CD from VA (I think it was) offered to drive all the way down to get them. Riveree offered to drive me in her vehicle to get them from the shelter to keep until the VA CDer could get to Jax, as I am terrified of pits and have a small car. Hers would fit two kennels and she is a pitt bull lover.

Animal control insisted on having them vaccinated, spayed and neutered at a charge of $250. I had no income at the time and so others on CD offered funds to get it done.

At the last minute, we discovered that they had ringworm and it would have exposed everyone else's dogs if they had been placed in the vehicles. The dogs were destroyed.

Both of my kids ended up with ringworm just from the small amount of time they spent with them while they were in my oldest son's back yard and we are just now getting it under control after multiple trips to three different docs.

It was very emotional for many of us on this site. I cried again when I looked at the thread while posting it here. Very, very sad. And just think- if JSO had responded to our calls about the neglect of the dogs (he had previous convictions for animal abuse and domestic violence), a human life ultimately may have been saved.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Animal control finally picked them up and was very helpful in holding them when CDers started scheming to find homes for them. Because they were not my son's, they bent the rules to waive the adoption fee.

Many made many calls and inquiries around the country looking for no-kill shelters that would take them. I wish I could remember the names of the many, many CDers who got involved.

Ultimately, a woman on CD from VA (I think it was) offered to drive all the way down to get them. Riveree offered to drive me in her vehicle to get them from the shelter to keep until the VA CDer could get to Jax, as I am terrified of pits and have a small car. Hers would fit two kennels and she is a pitt bull lover.

Animal control insisted on having them vaccinated, spayed and neutered at a charge of $250. I had no income at the time and so others on CD offered funds to get it done.

At the last minute, we discovered that they had ringworm and it would have exposed everyone else's dogs if they had been placed in the vehicles. The dogs were destroyed.

Both of my kids ended up with ringworm just from the small amount of time they spent with them while they were in my oldest son's back yard and we are just now getting it under control after multiple trips to three different docs.

It was very emotional for many of us on this site. I cried again when I looked at the thread while posting it here. Very, very sad. And just think- if JSO had responded to our calls about the neglect of the dogs (he had previous convictions for animal abuse and domestic violence), a human life ultimately may have been saved.
Wow...that's crazy. But regarding the ringworm, all you have to do is rub a bit of preparation H on it 3 times a day and it will be gone in less than 2 weeks. Our cattle get ringworm on occassion and this works wonders. (Just for future reference if i springs up again)

Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:

I would think the person squatting would be harmed... just imagine living somewhere and knowing the next knock on the door might land you in jail...

Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,450 times
Dogs with Ringworm, people squatting in rat-infested rooms. Yech!!!!!

This is a disgusting thread. Entertaining, maybe, but gross at the same time.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:33 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
The townhome next door to my son has been vacant for more than 10 months. The owner left in the middle of the night, police and federal marshalls had been by numerous times looking for the guy and a couple of months ago, the guy was arrested for murder. There was an eye witness and the guy has a record, so he's not coming back.

Now my son has rats in his unit. He has no pets and is not a dirty person, so I am thinking that it must be from the garbage left inside the neighbor's unit. When owner left, he deserted his two dogs (Abandoned pit bulls), so there could be pet food or other things inside that would attract the rats.

Can't you call the cops and tell them you smell a strange odur and you don't know if some one is still living there...so the cops might go in and than go from there....

Old 12-19-2008, 01:29 PM

There is no odor. We finally called the cops three times when the two pitts had broken through the fence into the postage-size backyard of my son. Big time odor then! The cops said that they couldn't do anything.

When it comes to squatting, I've read that the police consider it a civil matter and do not do anything. The owner would have to go to court to evict the squatters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting