U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:54 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,506,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxxred View Post
The power was dead in my bedroom, without power even in plug. The electricity system is old. It happened twice in half a month.

If the power is gone, who should I contact with? Super or management office? How many days is resonable?
The power was out only in your bedroom or the whole apartment? No way will you get a rent credit for just your bedroom. Good luck with that.....

By the way I was out of power for two weeks during Hurricane Ike as well. Still had to pay my rent AND a higher than normal electric bill. Get over it. You still had a place to sleep and the problem was fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:40 AM

5,550 posts, read 8,315,195 times
and I thought I had bad luck w/ room shares and rentals!

if this was me, well, I'd MOVE! seriously, pack up your stuff, move into the Y or a cheap hotel, and take the TIME to carefully check out rentals or room shares (though, after the last incident, you may want to live alone). carefully go through the place, hell, bring your own electronics if you want and test them out in various outlets. run the water, check the windows, take your time and really check a place. take pictures. carefully go over the lease and get everything in writing. then, when you feel 100% satisfied, then move in.

I'm not sure what your situation is, if maybe you can only afford a certain amount and end up in these less than desirable places, or if you live in a bad area that has a limited selection, but whatever the reason, I'd suggest taking the time to look more carefully for a place to live, maybe even ask for landlord references (ie, if there's another unit, talk to those folks). if you need a room share, ask friends or co-workers, and again, get stuff in writing.

this is a lot of bad luck for a renter to have in a row. I feel for you, I had my issues when I first started out (heck, I'm still having them), but you try to learn from them, otherwise you're doomed to repeat them

ETA: ok, so I'll admit, I didn't read past pg 2 of your other thread before posting this response. after reading the entire thread (oh boy...), may I suggest REALLY taking the time to look for a new rental? seriously, I know first hand how expensive and frustrating it can be to constantly move (in one year, I moved 3 times). a few days is not long enough to look for a suitable place, not matter how dire your past situation was. never mind the fact that it sounds like you're overpaying for two crappy apartments, but the place you're in now doesn't sound much better than the place you left.

I gather from your postings that you may not be from the US, or your English may not be perfect, right? there is a chance (granted, tiny chance in your case. very tiny) that people may be taking advantage of you on this count, but it sounds more like you aren't fully aware of rental do's and dont's and your tenant's rights for your state. please read up on this info, it will save you from headaches later on. in the meantime, I would devote January to looking for a more suitable rental, preferably a place where you can live on your own (a place that's up to code and w/ a responsive landlord/super) or a room share where the details are set in stone so there's no confusion. until then, I would just hang in, figure out what's wrong w/ the electricity (is it possible someone else is running an electric heater somewhere and blowing the fuses? is it the whole apartment, or just one room), maybe get official help to make sure everything is up to code (as already mentioned, you don't want to mess w/ an apartment w/ faulty wiring/electrical problems. it can literally kill you!), and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, all requests, everything in case the problem persists and you decide to withhold Jan rent

Last edited by eevee; 01-01-2009 at 01:12 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 08:44 PM

32 posts, read 32,633 times
Hi Eevee: Yes, I came from Asia 3 years ago. The lease I signed only in 4 days because the woner pushed us a lot. But, compared to other building, this building has better location which my roommate cares a lot. Since my financial is not that good, my buying an apartment dream won't come true in 2 years. I may have to live under a lease at least 2 years. However, I will think about your points and be very carefully in the future. Thanks a lot and happy new year!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:24 PM

9,856 posts, read 7,047,285 times
In my girlfriend's old apartment they started to do electrical work, and never finished the job. They left it for a few days with exposed wires. The landlord promised to send someone to fix on several occations but never followed through. In the end, I called and told the landlord I would check the apartment at 5:30 when I got home from work that day and if it wasn't fixed I would call the city Bureau of Building Inspection and report the complex for not being up to code. The landlord called me more than a few nasty names, but the wiring was fixed by the time I got home from work.

Tenants have rights, and unfortunately some landlords will walk over you just to make an extra dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting