Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 24,827 times

Advertisements

I recently rented an apartment and signed the lease agreement. Unfortunately in the property referrer section, I provided the wrong referrer ( Rent.com ) and hence lost the referral bonus around $200.

When I called up my apartment manager to correct this , she said no changes are allowed in the rental agreement after it is signed.

Is there anything I can do to modify the rental agreement ( legally ) and get the referral bonus ?

Appreciate your valuable responses.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-08-2009 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Moved from the Dallas forum so that you might receive some knowledgeable, helpful advice in a more appropriate forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:50 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,868 times
If it's stated in the agreement you signed I don't see any way around it. If it's not in writing, I could see a possibility (but then you'd have to check local laws regarding leases to see what they say about changes).

Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 AM

97 posts, read 406,505 times
Generally leases (or most legal documents) can't be changed after they are signed unless there is an "amendment to lease" or something like that. You might be out of luck.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 AM

877 posts, read 2,076,603 times
Who pays the $200? Is it from rent.com, or is it a "benefit" provided by your landlord?

If it's paid by rent.com, offer to split the money with your landlord.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 24,827 times
Thanks tortoisegirl, bc219 and ZMan0 for your reply.

$200 is paid by Rent.com and they charge ( $200 + advt fee ) to the landlord. So it is actually the landlord who is paying it and hence unwilling to change the lease.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_yaro View Post
Thanks tortoisegirl, bc219 and ZMan0 for your reply.

$200 is paid by Rent.com and they charge ( $200 + advt fee ) to the landlord. So it is actually the landlord who is paying it and hence unwilling to change the lease.
It's a legally binding contract which you signed and that's pretty much that. You goofed. Rent.com doesn't enter into the scenario because YOU made a mistake. Better luck next time around! Hope you enjoy the place in any event! Cheers!

Old 01-24-2010, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,672 times
I just signed a contract before I found out that there major changes to the situation and it has gotten to a point of getting police involved. The apt is one of a 12 apartments the propery owner owns. The office manager at the apartment I currently live knows about the problems I have. Can I request to be transferred to one of the other apartment located in a different location to preserve my saftey? I am scared. Do I get my deposit? pls help me as I need to write an appealing letter. Tx

Old 01-24-2010, 03:45 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfjmassoumi View Post
I just signed a contract before I found out that there major changes to the situation and it has gotten to a point of getting police involved. The apt is one of a 12 apartments the propery owner owns. The office manager at the apartment I currently live knows about the problems I have. Can I request to be transferred to one of the other apartment located in a different location to preserve my saftey? I am scared. Do I get my deposit? pls help me as I need to write an appealing letter. Tx
Need more details. Is this domestic violence? In some states yes you can get out of your lease. If its not and the situation did not arise out of the landlord's negligence, then no you probably can not break your lease. But if you and the landlord are on good terms I see no reason why he won't work with you on getting transfered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting