U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:25 PM

739 posts, read 2,451,350 times
I have never let faucets drip. I never heard of it before. But after reading this thread I certainly don't want my pipes to burst. My question is Do I let all the faucets in the house drip a little? And is this just overnight? And does it matter if the house is brand new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 05:33 PM

3,436 posts, read 6,210,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC little foot View Post
I have never let faucets drip. I never heard of it before. But after reading this thread I certainly don't want my pipes to burst. My question is Do I let all the faucets in the house drip a little? And is this just overnight? And does it matter if the house is brand new?
I've not heard of it either - I guess it wasn't an issue in any of the apartments I lived in back in Virginia.

We've had lows in the low 20's already this winter - do you all run the water every time it gets that cold? Or is it just the teens?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 PM

6,300 posts, read 10,001,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I've not heard of it either - I guess it wasn't an issue in any of the apartments I lived in back in Virginia.

We've had lows in the low 20's already this winter - do you all run the water every time it gets that cold? Or is it just the teens?
I'm curious too, I have a slab 2 story home with two outside water facets and 3 bathrooms. Do I need to let the water drip out of every facet and outside? I really don't want to deal with burst pipes.

I keep my inside 66F down stairs and 65F upstairs.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,217,912 times
My parents let the faucets drip b/c they have had their pipes freeze when I was younger. I would definitely do it.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:45 PM

94 posts, read 193,121 times
Better safe than sorry. When I lived in Texas, the notices would often say to leave the sink cabinet doors open to allow the heat to better reach the pipes and to also not turn your thermostat too low when you weren't home.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:15 PM

850 posts, read 2,764,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylulu View Post
Better safe than sorry. When I lived in Texas, the notices would often say to leave the sink cabinet doors open to allow the heat to better reach the pipes and to also not turn your thermostat too low when you weren't home.
Those are also great tips...we would always leave cabinet doors open in our vacant apartments. And the thermostat setting is a huge thing too. A lot of people just turn it off if they're not going to be home, especially if it's for an extended period of time, to save energy. But it's a huge risk. You always want to have your heat running, even if it's at a low temperature. And in the summer, vice versa. Proper ventilation is really important in an apartment.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 3,249,374 times
I'm going to leave my outside faucet dripping tonight as well as the kitchen faucet. Better to be safe than sorry. I've also opened the sink cabinet doors in the bathroom downstairs, in the kitchen and the bathrooms upstairs.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 PM

447 posts, read 1,024,798 times
Oh geesh...

Do not leave your outside faucets dripping. That might cause your pipes to freeze. The drip would freeze and cause the pipes to freeze back into the house. Make sure to disconnect hoses from all outside taps.

I have lived in NC for 24 years, the only time I have had pipes freeze was when I forgot to disconnect a house during an overnight freeze. I have lived in apartments, slab houses and crawlspaces.

Slabs should be fine, as no pipe is exposed to outside air. Crawlspaces are more likely to see a frozen pipe. Air flows around them and can cause the icing.

Opening the taps prevents bursting, but not freezing. The pipe can freeze with the water running but the pressure does not build so bursting should not occur. If you are worried about it, leave a trickle of hot water going on one faucet and leave cold running on another. This should take care of everything, it will not cost you much.

If you live in a house with a crawlspace you can also do the old lightbulb trick, hang a few 60 watt lights near the pipes, this will provide enough heat to keep the pipes from bursting, it is a pain in the butt to rig up though.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 PM

6,061 posts, read 9,016,032 times
Just do it. You're not in Kansas anymore. It's a different world here. Things work differently. It's no big deal and is quite common here in older apartments. The landlord is trying to save YOU from damage to your apartment and belongings as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,903,661 times
I don't see how they could legally enforce it, but you'd be nuts not to do it. What's a dollar extra on your water bill as opposed to burst pipes? I drip pipes in my own house when it's this cold. No one tells me I have to, I just don't want to flood my new floors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting