Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:31 PM

25 posts, read 68,928 times

Advertisements

My son heads to bed at 8 (or at least is suppose to) Most little kids have that as a set bedtime. At least for the younger years. So my suggestion would be if there are children in the building or people who work the wee hours of the morning to set your cut off time at 8pm. 8am-8pm is probably your best bet for playing time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
What is not right is that we have to deal with the whims of a teenager. He gets up very early and if he wants to practice his guitar at 7 am, he does it. He comes in at 10 pm and wants to play...he does it....

Screw us and too bad...(I KNOW he knows he is loud.)

Funny, this weekend he had a friend over (Mom was not there) and he did not play loudly. He started at 8 am playing very softly as to not bother the normal teenager friend who obviously sleeps past 7 am...

So, yeah, it is a problem but I am letting my husband handle it...he said he will just contact the management company and let them deal with it. Our days of 'reasoning' with neighbors is long over. The mother is hardly around and when she is she dodges us or makes some stupid comment about the weather and leaves quickly in her car. Right now he's jacked his amp up and I can hear him across the apartment and she's home so she is useless, too.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM

517 posts, read 1,963,632 times
Coming from somewhere between "young" and "old" (though I like to consider myself more on the young side), I'd say 8 pm is fair.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
Okay I will go upstairs & tell my neighbor he needs to walk quieter (he doesn't stomp around b/c he is mad he is just a heavy walker - as a renter I've met plenty of them) That won't make me sound like an absolute self centered lunatic at all. He's 40 & I'm sure he's been a heavy walker his whole life & he will appreciate me having the audacity to approach him with this. I will also advise him that I will be screening his shoe purchases from now on as well. Alternately I can adjust b/c the man is allowed to walk in the manner he learned how to walk as a child during the day AND at night even. He is also allowed to wear the shoes he wishes & to come and go as he pleases. If that bothers me then I CAN MOVE b/c I AM NOT CUT OUT FOR RENTING.

And btw I hear the sounds of people's TV's constantly & when I've gone in their apt the volume is at a normal level - the walls are just thin (and my neighbors include college professors so if anything it is the Discovery channel that I am hearing). Sorry buddy world doesn't revolve around you - if you can't handle the fact that people walk heavy or they use things that might transmit through a thin wall during the day while maintaining normal activity then YOU are the one who is not cut out for renting.

Oh wait I have another one for you - I used to live in an apt where the guy below me had a horrendous snoring problem & it used to wake me up. Should I have made him go to a Dr. & get it fixed b/c it was rude of him to wake me up with his snoring (which was the WORST I have ever heard in my life) Or should I adjust b/c things like walking & snoring are normal human sounds that the individual is making? Should I have made the renter next door to me hold their hands over their 6 month old's mouths to muffle their cries at night to not wake me up - b/c I mean if a person isn't allowed to walk their normal way then obviously a baby shouldn't be allowed to cry - after all it might disturb the neighbors?
If you're too timid to confront the neighbor about making unnecessary noise that's your problem. Ultimately, I have done just that, and when that didn't work, talked to the office. The noise stopped or diminished such that I can't justify any further complaint (mission accomplished). It's not hard: you signed an agreement that says you need to be cognizant of other people's space and quiet time. If I'm living above someone, I'm not going to be stomping, jumping or slamming stuff down. I take my time and try to be as quiet as possible because I don't want to disturb the person below me. That's common courtesy - and if people don't have it, I will instill it in them. It's not on me to move, it's on them to abide by the rules or get kicked the hell out.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:21 AM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
What is not right is that we have to deal with the whims of a teenager. He gets up very early and if he wants to practice his guitar at 7 am, he does it. He comes in at 10 pm and wants to play...he does it....

Funny, this weekend he had a friend over (Mom was not there) and he did not play loudly. He started at 8 am playing very softly as to not bother the normal teenager friend who obviously sleeps past 7 am...

So, yeah, it is a problem but I am letting my husband handle it...he said he will just contact the management company and let them deal with it. Our days of 'reasoning' with neighbors is long over. The mother is hardly around and when she is she dodges us or makes some stupid comment about the weather and leaves quickly in her car. Right now he's jacked his amp up and I can hear him across the apartment and she's home so she is useless, too.
I think it's best to speak to the management company.

If it's a small thing and it's somebody that you know and you're cool with and you think you can come to agreement on your own, that's one thing.

If not, especially if the person doesn't think they're doing anything wrong, it may see as if you're being bossy, nasty, or trying to call shots. You may even run the risk of pissing the person off and having them increase the behavior. Or just starting some unnecessary beef.

As a landlord, I'd prefer that tenants come to me with a problem such as the one you described. I'd straighten it out without naming names or what have you.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Depends on how good you are. If you're talented, I'd say 9pm. If you suck, I'd say no playing before 11am and after 12pm.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

I still don't understand why you haven't nicely spoken to the kid (who you otherwise don't seem to have a problem with and who you say is polite to you) or his mother (who, it seems, you don't have a problem with other than that she, "dodges us or makes some stupid comment about the weather" but have never approached on the matter.) In my opinion you should have done it a long time ago instead of continuously avoiding the issue and thus worsening the situation. Cheers!

Old 03-24-2009, 10:01 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
If not, especially if the person doesn't think they're doing anything wrong, it may see as if you're being bossy, nasty, or trying to call shots. You may even run the risk of pissing the person off and having them increase the behavior. Or just starting some unnecessary beef.
This is why we do not want to approach them. Last year we rented a 2 family house and the lady below us was a morning riser and blasted her tv. I was able to approach her, very nicely, and ask if she could just keep it down in the very early morning hours. I also said if we made any sort of noise, please let us know so we could accommodate her. It worked out great for all of us.

This time, there really is no point trying. I will leave it to my husband to deal with.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:21 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
No I'm just sane enough to realize that complaining to someone that they walk too loud or snore is the mark of a lunatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
If you're too timid to confront the neighbor about making unnecessary noise that's your problem. Ultimately, I have done just that, and when that didn't work, talked to the office. The noise stopped or diminished such that I can't justify any further complaint (mission accomplished). It's not hard: you signed an agreement that says you need to be cognizant of other people's space and quiet time. If I'm living above someone, I'm not going to be stomping, jumping or slamming stuff down. I take my time and try to be as quiet as possible because I don't want to disturb the person below me. That's common courtesy - and if people don't have it, I will instill it in them. It's not on me to move, it's on them to abide by the rules or get kicked the hell out.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:18 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
No I'm just sane enough to realize that complaining to someone that they walk too loud or snore is the mark of a lunatic.
Negative. You're afraid.

The rules are clear. Keep the noise down. I didn't make the rule. If you want to stomp around and make all kinds of noise, buy a house where you can do whatever the blue hell you please. In a common housing situation such as an apartment, if there is a rule that states you need to be a certain level of quiet, there is no discussion on the topic. Either learn to be quiet, or get kicked out. No gray area. No ambiguity. Do what you're told and stay, or deviate and be forcefully evicted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting