Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:34 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times

Advertisements

Now a days people lie about almost everything...People who get a pet for their child's bday and than within a year claim the kid is allergic just because theyrealized the dog has to walk and do their thing and the owner has to pick it up....and the dogs eats...suprised that the dog is getting bigger and eat even more and it cost money!

A non refundable pet fee is very common due to the more cleaning of the house...
If a policy changes in a community they can't tell people who lived there before that they have to get rid of their pets...but they can tell new tenants that new rules are in place.

To answer the question why not everybody is paying the same...just ask you neighbor when sitting on a plane what he/she has paid for the plane ticket....almost every one paid a different amount!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:22 AM

850 posts, read 4,740,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobyeW View Post
I'm not sure if this will get you your deposit back, BUT YOU WONT HAVE TO PAY PET RENT, go to your doctor any doctor, act depressed and say you need a COMPANION LETTER say how you just cant live without your cat, he is the only thing holding you together bla bla bla and tell them you need to move and your new place will not allow pets.

BY LAY they can not refuse your pet, charge depost or you pay pet rent, it's that easy!!

Not only is lying and committing fraud a bad idea, you're incorrect regarding the laws for charging fees for service animals. The law for service animals is that while they can't be refused, they do have to have ALL fees and deposits paid for him/her, just like any pets. So get your facts straight before posting misleading information for others to read.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 PM

259 posts, read 1,041,772 times
RobyeW, if I did that in the apartment I lived in in CA the owner would have evicted me. He did NOT like animals and he would have found a way around getting rid of me. He stole many of my belongings as well as the other tenents so he wasn't someone you would want to mess with. When you rent you don't have any rights unless they are stipulated in your lease and there aren't many.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 PM

573 posts, read 1,689,682 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if this will get you your deposit back, BUT YOU WONT HAVE TO PAY PET RENT, go to your doctor any doctor, act depressed and say you need a COMPANION LETTER say how you just cant live without your cat, he is the only thing holding you together bla bla bla and tell them you need to move and your new place will not allow pets.

BY LAY they can not refuse your pet, charge depost or you pay pet rent, it's that easy!!

I'm sure this was just meant to be funny,........

Old 02-04-2009, 05:40 PM

You actually can get a doctors "companion letter" for the purpose of having a pet for your health, so RobyeW wasn't just being funny. I know someone who did this and his landlord wasn't a jerk like mine was and he did not give his tenent a hard time. My friend did however, have to pay a pet deposit.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
You actually can get a doctors "companion letter" for the purpose of having a pet for your health, so RobyeW wasn't just being funny. I know someone who did this and his landlord wasn't a jerk like mine was and he did not give his tenent a hard time. My friend did however, have to pay a pet deposit.
AGAIN, doing so w/o a legit reason and just claiming you have a mental/emotional disease in order to dodge a no-pets clause is immoral and flat out fraud. it's completely irresponsible for anyone to just causally bring this up as a way to get around the rules.

unless you have a documented illness, there's no need to even consider this "loophole" (not implying you were, just saying this overall)

Old 02-05-2009, 08:41 AM

I would not do that, but I could since I do have a health reason that would most likely allow me to have a pet, but not worth the problem(s) you would have to deal with most LL. My place allows us to have pets, it's just that some people don't have to pay the security deposit and others do. The reason was explained in one of the earlier posts and it satisfied my curiosity.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 669 times
I mean teachers don't really get paid all that much like they should, so I can totally see that being a fair thing.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:29 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,730,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabemaay View Post
I mean teachers don't really get paid all that much like they should, so I can totally see that being a fair thing.
This thread is 8 years old...

Old 02-21-2017, 11:45 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if this will get you your deposit back, BUT YOU WONT HAVE TO PAY PET RENT, go to your doctor any doctor, act depressed and say you need a COMPANION LETTER .....
And, here's the best thing about it: you can write "handicapped" on a piece of cardboard and put that in your window of your car so you can park in those great handicapped parking spots right by the door. It's great to pretend to be handicapped just to get special privileges.

Sorry, RobyeW, but emotional support animals are for people with mental health handicaps, not just for people who don't want to pay a pet fee.

Shame on you for even suggesting that OP cheat and lie and pretend to be handicapped. It's people like you that make life difficult for those who are truly handicapped and really do need an emotional support animal or service dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting