Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,741 times

Advertisements

I am currently putting my first home up for rent and am planning on purchasing a new home. How will this affect my approval for a new home loan. How long of a lease should I require on my property so it does not negatively affect my application for a new loan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
DO NOT DO IT. This is the best advice I can give you. I've been in the landlording business for over 30 years and I can tell you that you're about to make a BIG mistake.

How much is your current TOTAL PAYMENT? By total payment I mean; principle, interest, taxes and insurance. If it is GREATER THAN ONE HALF of the rent you will collect YOU WILL BE LOSING MONEY. This is a common mistake of newbie landlords, and what leads them to years of MONTHLY LOSSES, ANGUISH, and often FORECLOSURE, if not BANKRUPTCY.

They tend to overlook NORMAL RENTAL EXPENSES of; allowance for VACANCY, allowance for REPAIRS, allowance for UPKEEP, LEGAL FEES, TURNOVER EXPENSES, etc.

Back in "the day" there were 3 reasons to own SFH (single family homes) as rentals; appreciation, tax benefits and cash flow.

Appreciation; we have been in, and will likely to continue in a "non inflationary" if not DEFLATIONARY period of RE prices.

Tax benefits; these pretty much went away in the (IIRC) '86 tax reform.

Cash flow; like I said, unless you're getting about 2%/month of the value of the place YOU WILL BE LOSING MONEY.

Even if you have to take a loss, GET RID OF THE OLD HOUSE.

In answer to your question. I think the banks are only allowed to consider 75% of the NET RENT as part of your income. The fact that you are asking this means you're not prepared to be a landlord.

golfgod

Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
DO NOT DO IT...
No doubt. Also, your insurance will be increased as you have a non-owner occupied home and a second house. Everything else has been said. If you get a bad renter (it happens) you'll have months of legal expenses without pay, in addition to damages, loss of value, and your old neighbors will hate you. Renting is a business, not a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting