Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 PM

897 posts, read 1,592,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Wow. Just wow. There are millions of people losing their jobs this year, are they all losers?
No, they're not ALL losers but some of them are and this guy sounds like a bonafide loser to me. He wants to do zero work or research and wants to pay whatever HE has decided is fair. He misses 2 month's worth of rent and then is upset at the landlords because they didn't do things the way that HE felt they should've done it. He includes a little tidbit about not being afraid of death because he's seen too many horror movies?! Whotta maroon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:26 AM

11 posts, read 44,798 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmancomics
No, they're not ALL losers but some of them are and this guy sounds like a bonafide loser to me. He wants to do zero work or research and wants to pay whatever HE has decided is fair. He misses 2 month's worth of rent and then is upset at the landlords because they didn't do things the way that HE felt they should've done it. He includes a little tidbit about not being afraid of death because he's seen too many horror movies?! Whotta maroon!

Hey fatmancomics, I appreciate your honesty. I know I'm a "loser". But ultimately, I was just seeking advice over this little matter, as (from reading other posts on this forum) there seem to be a lot of experts here.

I didn't realize that when posting here ... the debate would turn into how much of "loser" I am or that I'm stupid.

Nonetheless, I think it's fair to state (so that there aren't too many posts in the future that are "personal attacks") that I am a "maroon". I do have fluctuating intellectual functioning.

Why? I am a diagnosed Schizophrenic/Bipolar. I daily take an antidepressant and an antipsychotic.

So if my post (that started this thread) appeared to be a "sob story" or whatnot, then I truly apologize, for that was not my intent.

I'm simply seeking clarity over matters such as this (and according to the different viewpoints on this thread), there is questionable clarity on how to handle this. Right?

However, I do appreciate the feedback. I will try some of the suggestions given (such as sending the collection agency a request in writing).

And like I said, I have Paranoid Schizophrenia, so my case may be quite different, due to me worrying too much about people "plotting" against me.

www.schizophrenia.com

So, I'll just get clarity on how the "bill" was calculated, do things politely, and then pay whatever I owe, even if including monthly rent for months I did not live there.

I'm very naive, so a lot of these things I'm learning or hearing about for the first time.

And fatmancomics, you're wrong about me not "wanting to work". I've been unemployed for over a year, through no fault of my own. I have a VA 100% disability rating due to my psychotic disorder. I am 100% disabled. But even so, I still "want to work".

Next time, maybe you shouldn't make personal attacks about people you don't know based on your subjective assumptions ... just because "it sounds like it to you". Fair enough?

Also fatmancomics, I've been researching as much as I can. Ok? And with some advice I've found on the interent, I'll be able to learn more. Ok?

I mean, let's face it. You want to point the finger at me, Mr. Self Righteous? Well, your handle is "fatmancomics". Maybe you're the one who does not do enough work ... thusly resulting in the name "fatmancomics"????

But no. I'm seriously just joking. I'm not going make personal attacks against you or anybody else.

And for the record, I'm not upset at the landlord(s). The bottom line: I'm simply disputing the amount figure that they say I owe them and the collection agency. Especially since (like I said) they sent me a bill that doesn't show how it was calculated and mentioned that it may not be "valid" and I can "dispute" it. I know it was my fault I was broke or whatever and got evicted. I'm not disputing that. It just appeared to me that this "bill" is a bit high or partially invalid, so I'll find out. And I know I could be wrong. If I have to pay (for example) $6000 total, then I will do so. I just need to know what I'm paying for. Fair enough?

And about my now-famous horror-movie line, don't twist around my words so that you can turn them into your own version, different from what I meant.

When I stated that, I merely meant that horror/war movies can show people how nasty the world can be or how much pain one could go through. And so, if you face a life-threatening challenge in this life, you can approach it with a sense of focus and fearlessness. You could think with empathy and put the needs of others above your own. You understand or appreciate what others may have to go through that you may not have to go through. But thus, one can make best out of a given situation, with the "shock" not there to get in the way.

Something like that.

Even though, fatmancomics, you did not wish me a good day, I hereby wish you good day and good luck in all future endeavors.

Have a nice day,

Josh

Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YearZeroNIN View Post
Hi,
I'm new here and stumbled upon this website while trying to learn a little more about what's allowed in rental agreements or whatnot.

<snipped>

So, I guess I'll just see what happens.

To me, it's not about money; it's about doing what's right.

But, no real problem. I found a different apartment to live in which I like better (no leases or contracts)!!!

Josh
Anywho. Like, you're in the wrong. Anywho. Like, you really could owe $5000. Like, pay it and move on. Anywho.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 AM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
Don't they have to take you to court before the judgement is set against you? I would let them and then you have your say in front of the Judge. Explain your story about the gun in your face and your attempt to resolve the issue.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Don't they have to take you to court before the judgement is set against you? I would let them and then you have your say in front of the Judge. Explain your story about the gun in your face and your attempt to resolve the issue.
If he refused to open the door to a police officer and was acting strange, then the officer had every right to draw his weapon. That sob story will go nowhere. If the police actually showed up to evict him, then it DID go through court and the judgement was made. Obviously the OP didn't show up for the hearing, and thus the court simply ruled in favor of the landlord.

He owes the money, mental illness or not. If you're mentally ill enough that you're forgetting to pay your bills, for god's sake set up an automatic payment, or have someone who is mentally competent take care of your financial obligations for you.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,217,528 times
Josh,

I wish you all the best.

HUGS (((Josh))))

Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
If he refused to open the door to a police officer and was acting strange, then the officer had every right to draw his weapon. That sob story will go nowhere. If the police actually showed up to evict him, then it DID go through court and the judgement was made. Obviously the OP didn't show up for the hearing, and thus the court simply ruled in favor of the landlord.

He owes the money, mental illness or not. If you're mentally ill enough that you're forgetting to pay your bills, for god's sake set up an automatic payment, or have someone who is mentally competent take care of your financial obligations for you.

Sorry I had read it wrong. I thought the landlord pulled the gun on him. And I agree if he refused to show up in court then he must pay the consequences.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:26 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I thought so too, the first time I read it. I was going "Man, how is it that no one has commented on the fact that the landlord pulled a gun?" Then I reread it and saw constable and thought "wow, does this person live in Canada, or in the 1800s or something?" Are there places where police officers are still called constables? Maybe its like the "soda" vs "pop" vs "coke" deal.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:51 PM

897 posts, read 1,592,139 times
YearZero:
I don't have to explain my handle to you or anyone else.
As far as your ailment; sorry to hear that. Still doesn't make you or anyone else with some sort of dementia any less annoying. Why not live in an assisted living facility if you're so disfunctional?

Old 02-21-2009, 01:24 AM

11 posts, read 44,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub
If he refused to open the door to a police officer
and was acting strange, then the officer had every right to draw his weapon. That sob story will go nowhere. If the police actually showed up to evict him, then it DID go through court and the judgement was made. Obviously the OP didn't show up for the hearing, and thus the court simply ruled in favor of the landlord.

Well, I don't know. I was never told to attend any "hearing". I guess the landlord got a court order by himself and approved my eviction.

I've never been to "court" in my whole entire life.

And right now (as far as I know), there's no request/requirement out there for me to appear in court or any hearing or whatever.

I don't know. Maybe some stuff went on pertaining to this situation that I don't know about.

Immediately when the "Constable" or Sheriff or whatever came to evict me, I was ordered to show my face and whatnot and to relax and explain why I did not answer/open the door. Immediately after that (I hear that Police Officers go through some form of psychological training, probably to help "read" people), he told me to have a seat on the carpet ... and looked shocked ... he asked me if I knew what time of day it was. If I knew where I was ... or whatnot. I assume this Constable saw something right away "abnormal" about my behavior or lack of behavior and was alarmed bt it. So right away, he wanted to make sure I was "okay". Eventually, he called a couple other police officers to arrive to see if I needed to be "checked out". Eventually, it was a peaceful thing. Well, except for the landlord having maintenance drill through the doorknob, resulting in shards of glass falling on the ground. During that time, the landlord kept threantening me that he's going to change the lock ... and that I would be locked out. Landlord: "You will be locked out." Sure enough, a day after being evicted, they had a new lock installed and I was locked out. And I read somewhere on the web that landlords aren't supposed to threaten clients like this. They're actually not supposed to threaten to lock you out or change the locks, just because I was behind on 1 or 2 month's rent. I saw a thing on the news today ... it appeared a lady was able to keep her home from foreclosure, despite being behind on 14 months of payments (or something like that). But I guess being in a home is different than renting an apartment. But if you think about it, I was only behind on 2 months of payments ... was that morally worth throwing a human being on the street? Over a measly 2 months' rent? Interesting, I think. I would think they would be more strict about having a home ... because ... you lose your home ... you can get an apartment ... but, like in my case, ... you get evicted from an apartment ... you're on the street!!!! So really, how much wrong did I even do??? Especially since I did not intend to fall behind on the rent. I wanted to pay. But I ran into dire straits. But see, I never intentionally wanted to do anything wrong ... I wanted to pay and I still want to pay what I owe. I just wish they would be more clear about what I owe ... instead of sending me a little letter that states itself that it may not be valid. A real bill simply states what you owe. There's no question about validity!!

So, I think something must've happened that I don't know about. Like one poster said on this thread, it is possible that the landlord(s) lost their endeavor to charge me after being evicted or something like that. I don't know if the police officers saw any fault by the landlord. I don't know.

But like I said, I've never been to court before. But if I ever get requested to appear at a "hearing" or whatever, then hey, I'm just a phone call away. I'll do whatever they want me to.

I'm just another peon trying to make it like everybody else, eh???

Josh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting