Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times

Advertisements

I've told some interesting stories on this forum about my 'rental history'... but this is just the icing on the cake for me. I've lived in my current house for just about 3 years, never missed a payment, have sued 2 roommates over missed rent, had to evict a person because of an alligator in the garage issue, had a renter tear up the back deck to see if he could 'grow pot underneath it'. Etc etc.

Now, our electricity went out (I'm typing this on my break at work). It flickers and stays on for a bit every day, but inevitably goes out. This has been going on since last Saturday, so 4 days now. We have no lights, no refrigerator, no heat (we don't use heat, but I thought I'd throw that in there) and whatnot. I emailed my LL (he's in Iraq with the Army) and told him. He told me to get an electrician out there. The electrician charged me $182 to troubleshoot, and gave us a quote for $3151 to tear out our breaker box and rewire part of the house. He said this has been a problem for many, many years, but only started to affect the electricity now. The aluminum bussing behind the breaker is black and charred from constant arcing.

So, instead of fixing the electricity, the LL gave us our 30 day notice. Peachy. He's not charging us for March's rent (although I paid a first/last anyway) and we didn't pay a deposit. I'm kind of glad we're done, but kind of sad to see it end. My house is broken, leaky and kind of weird looking, but I love it all the same.

I'm not looking to get retribution from the LL, but more of venting a bit about the weird situation. Anyone else had something random, weird etc. or would just like to share interesting stories from renting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Wow, this is awful I'm so sorry, especially as you love the place.

Do you want thoughts about what to do? (You didn't ask for advice specifically, is why I'm checking..)

Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
A gator? Really? LOL

You're really taking this whole situation pretty well.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Wow, this is awful I'm so sorry, especially as you love the place.

Do you want thoughts about what to do? (You didn't ask for advice specifically, is why I'm checking..)
Well, there really isn't much we can do, we're on a month to month and he's already set on selling the place. We've actually found another house that is a little nicer for about the same rent so it's not too bad I was pretty pissed at first, but when I really sat and thought about it I realized that this is my chance to get away from the crazy roommate situation and move to a place that's a little cozier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
A gator? Really? LOL

You're really taking this whole situation pretty well.

Yeah, the gator thing was a trip. For some reason the roommate didn't think I'd notice a 2 ft long alligator in our garage/laundry area... I have plenty of other stories too but I'll save those till later. I guess I'm just ready to move on and go to a place where I can relax instead of being in a place where people show up at all hours of the day/night and only come over to drink/smoke. I'm ready for a home, not a frat house

Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Your LL wants to sell the house. With the shape the RE market is in, and the poor condition the house is in, it's a prime time for you to become a homeowner. You should be able to steal the place....
PS... Screen your enters better...

Old 02-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Your LL wants to sell the house. With the shape the RE market is in, and the poor condition the house is in, it's a prime time for you to become a homeowner. You should be able to steal the place....
PS... Screen your renters better...

I would never in a million years purchase the house. The foundation is cracked, the deck is falling off the side of the house, the stairs/deck/roof/subfloor/kitchen and most of the drywall needs to be replaced, it has leaks everywhere, they used drywall instead of backerboard in the bathrooms so it's moldy etc etc etc. It would be cheaper to bulldoze the house and rebuild than it would be to repair everything that is wrong from the previous owner.

And I screened my renters pretty well... the person with the alligator was in his 30s, great job, great credit, good person...just a bit odd.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Sometimes the best part of wisdom is knowing when it's time to move on...

Sounds like the place met your needs for awhile and is now in need of some serious repairs.

It's tough to manage property long distance and fight a war simultaneously...

Go ahead and vent away...

Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Sounds like the place met your needs for awhile and is now in need of some serious repairs.

I agree with Ultrarunner. Forking out money for a major repair with no possibility of inspecting the work or managing the project in a house that is decaying in all areas was just untenable for the Landlord. Yes, it sucks for you, but he knew that he couldn't allow a tenant to continue to live in these conditions. I bet he'll make a very good reference if you choose to rent again.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

That's exactly what I told him! I even offered to help him find a property management company and told him we'd be more than happy to pay a bit higher rent to cover the cost, because at least then we'd have a way to fix the things that go wrong... but he said no.

But oh well. It's going to be hard finding another place that's as good as this one, as hard to believe as that is. All I can find in my area are way overpriced homes ($2000+ a month for a 3 bedroom house with almost no yard) or teeny tiny apartments that don't allow pets (I have a dog).

If all else fails, I can be the 25 year old gal living at home in her parents living room

Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I didn't realize you own a dog... that could be a real problem and I'm speaking as a dog owner.

Maybe 6 years ago... my insurance company started reviewing policies looking for home owners and rental owners that have dogs of certain breeds...

They basically banned pit-bulls, dobermans, rottweilers and other "Dangerous" breeds... so depending on your dog's breed, you may be staying with your parents.

Good Luck on your search...

Any chance of finding something to buy with payments around the cost of rent? I know it can be done in some places...

Do you take Fido flying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting