Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,459 times

Advertisements

Ill try to explain this as best I can.

Ok so my old land lord back in augst told us we haveto 1200 now instead our normal 900 thus we had to move(short story of that....) now find this apartment in a quad plex right up the street for 650 with no depoist. Seems nice so we get it. The guy seemed real legit and fine and there was already one other being rented so i wa like cool. Now like 2month or so later in like oct the water goes off and we call him and he says I dont have the money to pay the water I was like wtf then like ok ill pay the 450 dollar water bill if u wave next month rent he said fine. Now all was good till end of jan or so when the water was off AGAIN. Now last time i told him im not paying rent unless the water is on for the whole month.
So I have not payed for feb he has not called or contaced or nothing( we have year lease). Now today (water still off having to use freinds shower and buy gallons of water) the cops come... I was like hmm this is weird they tell me this place is in forcloserure and we are not suposed to even be here. I was like ok.... I have a rental contract and what not. They ask if any banks or anything has contacted me i said no nothing at all. So now what im asking is how do I find out who owns this place and how do i get my water back on be it in my name or anything. Also I did some research and found this place to be in forcloser since last may.... hmm but no one contacted me or the other tenant with anything.
We are mad at being scammed. I dont have the money to move at all( got layed off recently).
Oh also this is in AZ maricopa county
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
I'd have to say, reading your post is like... intriguing. Anyway, I'm under the impression that your lease would convey to the new owners who would know you have a legal right to be there. You absolutely must pay rent but, I'd contact an attorney as you may need to pay him the rent to be put in escrow. This sort of thing is happening a lot lately and some districts are making provisions to help renters. Either way, pay rent and get all agreements in writing. That includes rent forgiveness because of your paying utilities. If it's not in writing, you can't prove it and you will lose. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I'd have to say, reading your post is like... intriguing. Anyway, I'm under the impression that your lease would convey to the new owners who would know you have a legal right to be there. You absolutely must pay rent but, I'd contact an attorney as you may need to pay him the rent to be put in escrow. This sort of thing is happening a lot lately and some districts are making provisions to help renters. Either way, pay rent and get all agreements in writing. That includes rent forgiveness because of your paying utilities. If it's not in writing, you can't prove it and you will lose. Good luck!
Ok thanks I have gotten reciepts for all i have paid.
But now know he does not own this place I feel I can not pay him the rent but I must pay to the bank who owns it now. Is there a way to find out who owns it now?

Old 02-21-2009, 11:28 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjum View Post
...a way to find out who owns it now?
Sure. Go to your county courthouse and they can look it up in their records. You still need to pay someone rent, as someone does own it. My advise is to consult a real-estate attorney pronto. You can get a recommendation either through the courthouse (which they will be reluctant to do for liability reasons) or from a well established realtor.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 PM

99 posts, read 178,144 times
Default Maricopa County Az

Try this web site for Maricopa County Rental Property Search
John

Old 02-21-2009, 05:06 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,250,942 times
The bank will not accept any rent money, they are not landlords. You should not pay anyone unless you are 100% sure that they own the place. It takes months for a foreclosure procedure to take place. The new owner will probably want to have you as a tenant but dont' pay him back rent. You need to look for a new place to move to in case you don't agree on terms.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneFolks View Post
Try this web site for Maricopa County Rental Property Search
John
Ok thanks i tried that nothing came up
Im not paying anyone till I see them in person.
No one has contacted me yet.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 AM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
If I were you I'd consult an attorney and just start looking for a new place to live. Sounds like a situation that just isn't going to end well. Have you checked the laws about foreclosures and rentals in your area? I know around here, renters are getting kicked out left and right through no fault of their own.

As for getting your water back on in the meantime, have you called the water company? You'll probably be able to set up a new account I would imagine. You don't have to be the property owner to do that.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyjum View Post
now find this apartment in a quad plex right up the street for 650 with no depoist. Seems nice so we get it.
That was your red flag. You're out of luck, too bad. Be more careful next time.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:43 AM

8 posts, read 14,370 times
Live there as long as you can, get a gym membership for family 15.00 a month shower there, and collect rain, live for free till evicted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting