Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:41 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times

Advertisements

I think the pet deposit should be refundable, not all pet owners are irresponsible tenants. Some of us actually do pick up our dogs poop on a daily basis, we keep our dogs groomed and if our pets do cause any damage we fix it before we leave. Just as our security deposit is refunded if the home is left in the same condition as it was when we moved in then so should our pet deposit be refunded. I don't mind paying the deposit, we have never had to pay more that $150 per pet but those prices are getting higher and if when I move out there was no pet damage then the LL just pocketed alot of money. I also thought most lease agreements say that the carpet has to be shampooed after moving out or it will be taken from the security deposit. But life is not fair and somewhere and sometime pet owners were negligent with a LL's property and now all must pay. There is always a bad apple to spoil things for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 10:50 PM

74 posts, read 141,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I'm pretty sure it depends on the state. And if they didn't tell you it was non-refundable they can't keep it as such.

Oh, and yes...all pets with hair DO shed, even your Maltese. This doesn't mean they're dropping hair all over the place, but any creature that has hair will shed that hair to one extent or the other. Maltese just don't shed seasonally.
You are wrong. Maltese do not shed, nor do poodles, bichon frische, and a few others that do not have an undercoat, but instead hair that grows. Not one hair sheds. I've owned Maltese and Poodles for years.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 PM

74 posts, read 141,874 times
If you rent with pets, never expect your deposit back no matter how neurotically clean you are. The landlord will just figure your deposit evened out the the losses he had with a bad tenant.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,487 times
I have a question with regard to "fair-housing".

I have lived in my current condominium for about 6 years now. I have dutifully paid 20.00 per month for pet fee. Quick math-- about 1500.00 in "fees"

Our cat is totally is, except for an occasional hair-ball experience, completely "bathroom" trained. Declawed, and spayed, he is also free from worrying about spraying or scratching where he shouldn't.

My question is at what point might one approach a landlord and say-- You have XXX amount of monies on hand for any pet repair. I would like to have our pet fee waived.

I've heard that if a landlord charges one client for pet fee, then "fair-housing" dictates that it shall be charged for all.

Can anyone shed any light/experience/etc on my inquiry?

TIA,

M.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 AM

862 posts, read 1,642,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangham View Post

I have lived in my current condominium for about 6 years now. I have dutifully paid 20.00 per month for pet fee. Quick math-- about 1500.00 in "fees"

Our cat is totally is, except for an occasional hair-ball experience, completely "bathroom" trained. Declawed, and spayed, he is also free from worrying about spraying or scratching where he shouldn't.

My question is at what point might one approach a landlord and say-- You have XXX amount of monies on hand for any pet repair. I would like to have our pet fee waived.

I've heard that if a landlord charges one client for pet fee, then "fair-housing" dictates that it shall be charged for all.

TIA,

M.
Unless stated differently in your lease, your pet fee is just that, a fee that is part of the rent. It's not held in an account somewhere accumulating for any future damages. You will not get it waived just because you have paid $1500 in pet fees.

I know nothing about the fair housing act.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
My dogs are Maltese. They do not shed. They do not have fleas. If they did, you can be sure I'd do something to get rid of them (the fleas). My dogs get bathed once a week, more often if it's been raining. I pick them up at the door and carry them inside to the bathroom and wash their feet EVERY TIME before they come in when they've been outside. (And yes, I always remove my shoes at the door, and so do any guests.)

For one thing, isn't this supposedly done every time a tenant moves out? Isn't that what the security deposit is supposed to cover?

Dander is not so heavy that my vacuum cannot pick it up. I have a Rainbow vacuum. First thing I ever do when I move in is vacuum and I always end up having to dump not just dirty water, but MUD out numerous times...and this is after said carpet was "professionally cleaned". Smells? Like I said, each and every landlord has admitted that there is NO evidence of my pets ever having been there. I doubt they'd say that if there was a lingering odor of any kind. I don't see why pet deposits cannot be refunded in full when NO EVIDENCE of any pets remains behind.

Any lease we have ever signed required that we pay for the carpet to be cleaned upon moving out and it was not part of our deposit. I guess I just thought this was a common practice. Like the OP my dogs do not cause any damage nor do they have fleas, that is just gross thinking that there are people who allow their pets in the house with fleas. I do hate the fact that there are irresponsible pet owners out there who make renting more difficult for those of us who are responsible.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Any lease we have ever signed required that we pay for the carpet to be cleaned upon moving out and it was not part of our deposit. I guess I just thought this was a common practice. Like the OP my dogs do not cause any damage nor do they have fleas, that is just gross thinking that there are people who allow their pets in the house with fleas. I do hate the fact that there are irresponsible pet owners out there who make renting more difficult for those of us who are responsible.

My LL had a $250 pet deposit, $100 of which is nonrefundable and goes to deep cleaning the carpets with special 'pet shampoo' and doing a flea treatment throughout the house.

I don't mind paying the nonrefundable deposit because I know that it was done between EVERY tenant, and even though I take good care of my dog, I know that not everyone does. I would trust the LL to know the best company (he actually uses the same 'green' company my workplace does, so I KNOW they do a good job) and to do it properly.

Now, if it was a scuzzy house and I could tell it wasn't cleaned/deflea'd properly before I moved in I would definitely reconsider the 'nonrefundable' part, since the LL would probably just be keeping the extra money and doing a quick clean on the place.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 PM

850 posts, read 4,740,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangham View Post

TIA,

M.

Fair Housing doesn't apply here for several reasons. First, pets are not a protected class. It's a privelege, not a right, to be able to have them and owners are allowed to charge whatever they see fit. Secondly, fees and rental amounts need to be consistent for Fair Housing only for people who lease around the same time. For example, you have 2 people tour and lease about an hour apart. Their fees need to be the same because if not, it could be perceived as discriminatory if one of them is of a protected class. Now if 2 people lease the same apartment 2 weeks apart, their rent and fees could be completely different because of market changes. It's reasonable for rent and fees to change daily, so typically unless you lease on the exact same day as someone, your rent and fees are likely to be different than all of your neighbors.

As far as your amount acruing for damages, it doesn't work like that either. First of all, again, it's a privelege to have a pet and you are paying for that privelege just like any other "extra" like having a special view or a highly desired floor. Also, pet maintenance is ongoing. The community probably uses your monthly fee to maintain the property, including repairing grass damaged by urine, providing pet waste stations and picking up after waste that wasn't picked up by the owner.

Consider yourself lucky that you're able to have pets where you are. It's becoming a trend that lots of communities and landlords are starting to prohibit them altogether.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 AM

35 posts, read 142,193 times
I can see it has been a while since there was a reply on this post, but I was doing some research because I am going to rent out a house for the first time. After reading the authors post, it occured to me that they are most likely mad at one specific place, and just taking it out on all landlords. As a pet owner myself, I understand the need to deposits and fees. However, a non-refundable deposit, is not really a deposit at all, but a fee. And usually fees are non-refundable anyways. It seems very ignorant to accuse all landlords who charge a monthly fee for animals of extortion, simply because there are legal reasons for it. Also, because it is stated upfront in the lease. Many have said correctly, if you don't like it, than don't sign the lease. I mean, how are we to know an animal won't destroy property just by looking at it? Are we really just supposed to take your word for it? And how can you be so offended that we wouldn't just trust your word when we have no idea who you are? I had an applicant, who appeared honest, had a family with 2 small children, I wanted her to get the place, we ran her background and found lots of stuff that is unacceptable, including the fact that she didn't even give me her real name. So you can see how landlords can't take risks when renting out a place, or in my case, a home that I just moved out of and plan to move back into in a few years. I have decided on a pet deposit and a monthly fee, and where I have gotten one or two very mean emails about it, most have been very understanding, one even stated that it was standard in most of the places they looked at. Bottom line, read the lease. I even gave a copy to my applicants so they can read them at length or have others read it just so they are very clear and fee safe about signing it. If you don't like what you see, don't sign the lease. A court will not grant a refund if you signed a lease that says you don't get one. Paperwork is very important and takes precedence (as long as it is legal) over what you think is right. And pet fees and extra deposits are legal.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:07 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
The question was; have pet fees and rent been court tested? I would like to see this issue be decided by a court because the pet fees and rent has more holes than swiss cheese. To say, if you don't like it don't sign the lease is a very ignorant statement. I say to you, if you don't want to rent to pet owners just say, NO PETS, don't try to make pets out to be filthy creatures that are intent in destroying your rental.
Pet rent is beyond any sense of reality except to profit by someone's need to have a pet. Do you charge husband rent, or child rent, perhaps turtle rent, (Mr. Turtle needs a home too)? once again another way to extort money from a person who cares for a pet.
Nonrefundable pet deposits and a lease that states you must have the carpet professionally cleaned upon leaving have double coverage for the landlord. What else could a pet do? Pee on the ceiling? Any damage as to chewing or clawing will be deducted from the security deposit. So what the nonrefundable pet deposit for? Another form of extortion.
This issue needs to be court tested. I say that these pet fees and rents are illegal and if not, at least unethical. Many people have no choice but to agree to the extortion by signing the lease because of jobs or other requirements. These nonrefundable deposits also make for a good reason not to move and landlords know it.
Word of caution to tenants with pets: there is a practice going on now where the landlord will hire a firm to find urine stains. If they do they generally charge the tenant for complete replacement of the carpet. If you find yourself in this situation ask to see the report from the last tenant. It is very likely that there was none and therefore where/when did the urine stain originate from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting