U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-05-2009, 05:09 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,215,913 times
Default What is up with first AND last month's rent?

This is something I've never heard of. I've lived in apartments all my life and have been living in my current one for quite a while now. I've always paid a month's rent and a month's security at lease signing and that was it.

A friend of mine (mid-50s) with a long-time stable job (teacher) is looking for an apartment and keeps hearing "first, last and security" from brokers.

She wants to move into this apartment and live there until she retires or dies. She's a very quiet person who lives alone and has no credit problems and a decent salary. Her current apartment immaculate and she keeps a lovely place. She has to move because the owner is selling and relocating.

Having to pay the last month's rent is like giving a free month's rent in cash as a gift since if you plan on staying there you'll die before you reach your "last month."

Is this something that's negotiable? I could see this type of thing being employed in an area that's very transient or with very young people who might just up and leave but wow, it sounds crazy to me in this particular case.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-05-2009, 05:27 AM

3,320 posts, read 8,874,665 times
Anything is negotiable. Try it. Business has made some changes and LL are beginning to ask for more up front becasue of the increase in defauts. Ask for better terms and be prepared to prove your worthyness to pay less up front.

Unread 03-05-2009, 05:40 AM

26,037 posts, read 20,497,931 times
most tenants dont pay you the last months rent and then live off the security deposit leaving the landlord with nothing as security for damages and expenses out of the norm

its also my litmus test...if they cant afford it i dont want them as my tenant..... i need to know at least coming up with 3 months wasnt a problem.... dosnt mean rent wont be a problem later on if they are out of work or sick but its better then someone moving in living hand to mouth

Unread 03-05-2009, 07:34 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,397,464 times
I always get at least one months rent for security. I would love to get two but its hard these days.

Security is for damage only. It is not for rent ; although many tenants have an issue with this.

d

Unread 03-05-2009, 08:08 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,045,095 times
I think it is one of things that vary from region to region. I have always heard that "first, last, deposit" thing but have never actually been charged for that last month up front.

Unread 03-05-2009, 08:27 AM

6,487 posts, read 14,933,719 times
My current arrangement, they charged first, last and deposit. Total of $3400 to move in. The three apartments and room-share I had before that, first and deposit only.

Unread 03-05-2009, 08:42 AM

14,436 posts, read 17,699,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
This is something I've never heard of. I've lived in apartments all my life and have been living in my current one for quite a while now. I've always paid a month's rent and a month's security at lease signing and that was it.

A friend of mine (mid-50s) with a long-time stable job (teacher) is looking for an apartment and keeps hearing "first, last and security" from brokers.

She wants to move into this apartment and live there until she retires or dies. She's a very quiet person who lives alone and has no credit problems and a decent salary. Her current apartment immaculate and she keeps a lovely place. She has to move because the owner is selling and relocating.

Having to pay the last month's rent is like giving a free month's rent in cash as a gift since if you plan on staying there you'll die before you reach your "last month."

Is this something that's negotiable? I could see this type of thing being employed in an area that's very transient or with very young people who might just up and leave but wow, it sounds crazy to me in this particular case.
If she really is what you are stating, than it probable wouldn't be an issue to have it negotiated. It is basically there for bad tenants, so you have money in case you have to evict them....it only came up due to many bad tenants....

Unread 03-05-2009, 11:51 PM

12,556 posts, read 21,821,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I think it is one of things that vary from region to region. I have always heard that "first, last, deposit" thing but have never actually been charged for that last month up front.
States like California limit the amount of money collected at move-in/lease signing to 3 times the monthly rent for unfurnished rentals.

Most rental agreements in CA no longer use the term "Last Months Rent" because it limits the amount collected to rent.

Security Deposit is preferred because it is all encompassing... unpaid rent or damage

Unread 03-06-2009, 02:18 AM

26,037 posts, read 20,497,931 times
theres a big difference in wording... a security deposit has to be kept in a seperate account and is not the landlords , last months rent is a prepayment of rent and is the landlords immeadiately

Unread 03-06-2009, 10:16 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,853,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a security deposit has to be kept in a seperate account
Not all states require this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting