Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times

Advertisements

Do other companies give grace periods...I mean utitlity companies...no way!

So don't I!

Pay on time or feel the consequences....if it happens once...I could live with it if the sob stories and lies are coming out....be prepared I know how small claims court works and i will be there sooner than the tenant thinks I will be!

By the way all costs are for the tenant...as described in the lease!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:49 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Woot I am not alone! I don't give a grace period, either. Also, I wouldn't evict a tenant no matter how many times he/she paid late. I would only do that if the person were a terrible tenant and I hated him/her and paid like 2 weeks late each time. For a couple of days overdue, I am perfectly Okay as long as the tenant pays the late fee. We all pay bills late occasionally. When my tenants pay late, they just add the late fee and it seems to work okay. Bentlebee, how do you enforce getting the tenant to pay the court costs?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:22 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Bentlebee, how do you enforce getting the tenant to pay the court costs?
Just because he gets a judgment doesn't mean he ever sees the money.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:03 AM

81 posts, read 148,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Yep. And I wouldn't allow you one late payment. If you don't pay on time, the legal paperwork starts rolling.
I would never want to rent from a $/%;&/ like you...people go through things...everybody dont have the luxury to pay on time every month..they could be fallen on hard times you never know whats going on in other people lives...

Old 08-13-2015, 07:30 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Just so you know, you are responding to a post that is over 6 years old.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:59 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyhoustongyrl View Post
I would never want to rent from a $/%;&/ like you...people go through things...everybody dont have the luxury to pay on time every month..they could be fallen on hard times you never know whats going on in other people lives...

Yes, you are right that we can never know what's going on in people's lives, but the problem with this way of thinking, though, is that landlords aren't offered that same leniency by their banks, when the mortgage is late, or by the City, when their taxes are late.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:06 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
All of our properties only include "grace periods" if the law requires grace periods. We abide by and we expect our tenants to abide by the legal requirements in each state and the terms and conditions of the lease.

Do not confuse late rent with a grace period for late fees. If rent is due on the 1st, it is late on the second even though state law may prohibit late fees until the 5th. We will always serve the required Notice on the first day allowed by law if rent is not received by that date. Although we may not be able to charge late fees for 5 days, if rent is legally late on the 2nd and we serve Notice, we may be able to start the eviction filing process even before a tenant would be held liable for late fees.

We don't seem to have issues with out tenants not paying what is due when it is due; I wonder why?

Old 08-13-2015, 11:15 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Yes, you are right that we can never know what's going on in people's lives, but the problem with this way of thinking, though, is that landlords aren't offered that same leniency by their banks, when the mortgage is late, or by the City, when their taxes are late.
I am all for being overly dramatic when it comes to defending reasons to evict or charge late fees but come on. If you are dependant on the rent check every month to pay your mortgage then you are doing it wrong. Blanket statements about evicting the second someone is late is ridiculous, though it does happen by cash strapped landlords but it isn't because they can't pay their mortgage.

Landlords who evict the day the payment is late do it because they have been burned before and gone multiple months with a nonpaying tenant. They likely won their eviction case after several attempts following the wrong process but never could collect from the judgement. These are the landlords that evict right away and it has little to nothing to do with their inability to pay their bills.

I know its a super old thread but I evict on the 6th, it is roughly a 22 day process in AZ, beginning to having possession. I give a 2 day grace period which is the 3 by 5pm and my leases have an initial late fee for the first day and another daily late fee after that for the next 14 days. I send out a letter on the 4th that is posted to the door at 5 am to remind tenants they are late and what the late fees are. If a tenant contacts me from this letter I would consider holding off eviction, depends on the whole picture though. If they don't pay and don't contact me I begin eviction on the 6th, certified letters and all that jazz.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:34 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
All of our properties only include "grace periods" if the law requires grace periods. We abide by and we expect our tenants to abide by the legal requirements in each state and the terms and conditions of the lease.

Do not confuse late rent with a grace period for late fees. If rent is due on the 1st, it is late on the second even though state law may prohibit late fees until the 5th. We will always serve the required Notice on the first day allowed by law if rent is not received by that date. Although we may not be able to charge late fees for 5 days, if rent is legally late on the 2nd and we serve Notice, we may be able to start the eviction filing process even before a tenant would be held liable for late fees.

We don't seem to have issues with out tenants not paying what is due when it is due; I wonder why?

Mm.. And if the 1st is a Saturday? The check arrives on Tuesday, because Monday is a holiday.. Envelope is postmarked the 26th, so , no question they put it in the mail in plenty of time... Or, someone who gets paid on the 1st and 15th.. It's easy to say "Send the check in early".. Well, if they send it in early and you deposit it early and it bounces.. You covering their overdraft fees? Don't think postdating checks works anymore.

I don't rent.. My house payment is auto pulled from my bank account, so.. If it's late, it's the fault of the mortgage company. But I see both sides of the grace period. Having the 5 day grace period handles all the unusual situations that can happen with holidays and weekends.. The downside to it is that when someone hears about a grace period, they assume that the rent is due at the end of it. Having a tough month is not the problem on the landlord at the end of the day. The tax office isn't giving them a break for a bad month.. Tenants don't tell them not to worry about fixing the A/C in the summer time because they've had to replace it at 3 other units and it's a tough month..

And, of course, there's a difference between the tenant who has been there 10 years and their check arrives on the 2nd once and the tenant who has been there 6 months and the check hasn't been there on the 1st a single time.

I would probably have a grace period, but not tell anyone about it. Totally unofficial. If it's after the 1st, it's late. But.. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it unless it turned into a habit.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:46 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
By my state law I can't start eviction process until day 5. I can't charge late fee until day 4. So there is legally a grace period both for eviction and for late fee. However, if rent is due on the first, it is late on the second. When tenant moves, I will report that to the next prospective landlord as a late rent payment.

Too many of those late payments and I ask a tenant to leave. I start eviction on day five. The first time I do it, it usually tunes the tenant right up. If I have to issue a pay or quit a second time they are losing their home.

It gives me stress to not know whether or not I will get paid this month. I don't like stress, so tenants who give me stress get their notice to vacate.

This is actually kinder to the tenants. They know exactly what the rules are and they know that the rules will be enforced. That's a security of a sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting