Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:51 PM

62 posts, read 454,080 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:26 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
The Section 8 Rental Voucher Program is authorized by the U.S. Housing Act of 1937, Section 8(b) and, being Federal, should transfer from state to state. I'd find out for sure, prior to moving. Let us know what you find out. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:13 PM

87 posts, read 212,870 times
Default Huge Variable

You have too call the County In The State your looking too move into. First ask if there accepting Ports. Meaning your porting in too there county. If not they may be billing, which means they bill YOUR housing Authority your at now. In that case if they are that means you must call your worker and see if they are accepting billing. If not then that county is out. Not many counties or states are asorbing right now. And you can't go by State , You must go County BY County in the state you choose.
And if you can figure that out you must go by What there rent limits are for your household size and income BUT do not go top doller if you have income or you will get screwed up. If they say 3 bedroom 850 tops then I deduct 150 of that cause I am on disability. Cause you will get there, line up a house then find out the numbers don't jive and hope too hell the Landlord will lower the rent.
I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1991 View Post

Old 06-06-2009, 11:26 PM

2 posts, read 19,370 times
Yes you can

Old 06-06-2009, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 19,370 times
You can go out of state. You are already in the housing authority not signing up for the first time. I'm moving to Orlando, Fl from Seattle, WA

Old 06-07-2009, 08:13 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Section 8 Housing Assistance (http://www.orangecountyfl.net/cms/BUSINESS/Section8/default.htm - broken link)

Old 06-07-2009, 11:30 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
It's called portability and yes, Vouchers are portable.

Remember, just because it's portable, you will still need to find a suitable unit in your destination city and sometimes that can be a real challenge.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It's called portability and yes, Vouchers are portable.

Remember, just because it's portable, you will still need to find a suitable unit in your destination city and sometimes that can be a real challenge.
I have one or two

Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 8,723 times
GIbornNBred...

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...YOUR ANSWER FINALLY FILLS IN MOST OF THE BLANKS FOR ME...

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT ABOUT "PORTING" OUT OF CALIFORNIA BUT GET CAUGHT BETWEEN OREGON H.U.D. TELLING ME TO ASK CALIFORNIA...AND VICE VERSA...WITHOUT GETTING ANYWHERE.

I am originally from Oregon, and have lived in San Diego, CA for over 30 years, since the Navy landed me here, and 15 of those years I have been on HUD - Section 8 Housing. I have desperately wanted to move 'home' for about 5 years now...
I cannot take the heat in Southern Cal any longer, the dry weather, the lack of greenery & mountains & streams, not to mention the political and financial downfall of the California government to run it's state productively. (Or with a lick of sense...like we on a fixed income have to!!!) Oregon may not be better...but it will be different...and I love the weather!!!

IN THE 2 YEARS SINCE I HAVE STARTED LOOKING INTO MOVING WITH MY SECTION 8 HOUSING...I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN A CLEAR ANSWER TO MY QUESTION ABOUT "PORTING" TO ANOTHER STATE...NOT FROM EMAILING OREGON H.U.D...NOT FROM ANY Q & A WEBSITE...and... NOT EVEN FROM MY OWN CALIF. H.U.D. CASE WORKER...!!! (She said ask Oregon to explain!)

BUT NOW....NOW...THANKS TO YOU...

I HAVE SOME UNDERSTANDING AND A PLACE TO START...ANY "COUNTY" IN OREGON !!!

I think I'm gonna put one foot in front of the other ...and...BUST A MOVE!!!

Warm Thanks Again, Your Answer is Much Appreciated!!!

Last edited by KuriousKind; 08-13-2010 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: to add name of person's thread I'm responding to

Old 08-13-2010, 01:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I am in West Virginia they say NO! I have to be Absorbed....what ever that means grrrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting