Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times

Advertisements

I'm about ready to start looking at this. I know that you have to pay about $25-$100 or so more a month for the privilage with most places. Otherwise, I have some questions.

I have 2 years of excellent, spotless rental history. I've always pre-paid the rent, no neighbor complaints, all left in good condition. In addition, my credit scores are in the low 800s. I don't have any real debt. So, would it be all that hard to convince a landlord to lease to me month-to-month or 3 month term if I have no job at the time, but have all the rent/deposit money up front and can prove resources?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
Depends...do you want a private landlordd or apartment community?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM

I'd prefer a community, but would also work with a private landlord.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 PM

Nearly every community will have rental standards that are set in stone. Because they deal with so many people, they have to have the same, clear cut policies for everyone to comply with Fair Housing. So, you probably will have a hard time renting at an apartment community with no job. For instance, in my state, we don't even accept prepaid rent for the lease term because it can complicate the eviction process. Also, while it sounds good to you that you can pay all the rent for a 3 month lease, a landlord doesn't look at it that way. They look at it from a long term perspective. What if you end up staying longer than 3 months, how will you pay? Kwim?

Also, keep in mind that while it is an option at some places to rent month to month or short term with a fee, alot of times this is only done AFTER you've already completed an initial lease term. In our area, you can't just move into an apartment community and get a month to month lease. But, if you've already had a lease and it's expiring, then at that time you can go month to month with a fee. This may differ in other areas, but it does seem to be pretty common in the apartment industry.

So now you're looking at a private landlord, but that can be tricky as well. They're just hit or miss as far as what they require. But you could find one that's happy to take a prepayment and isn't educated enough about the laws and doesn't care about the long term, so they'll just do it. But, on the flipside, it may be hard to find a private landlord that's willing to only rent to you short term.

So, you're in a tricky situation. Depending on where you are, you may consider looking for a sublease. They're more common in some areas than others. But basically you'd rent through the current tenant, so they probably won't care about your background, and it's typically only for a small amount of time. Sounds just like what you need.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:31 AM

I thought about a sublease, but the thing is, you have to usually go through the same application process through the landlord in most cases I have read. If they have a standard 12 month lease and there are 3-4 months left on the lease to take over, does the landlord look at you the same way he/she would at a 12 month leaser or a 3-4 month one?

I thought about a 3 month lease because then they wouldn't have to worry if I couldn't pay after 3 months because, why does it matter? Lease is up and that's that. If I can't pay, I'm out.

Around here, you can get a short-term lease without having a standard 12 month one first at around 40% of places.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Subleases are handled differently in every state, so you'd have to check on yours to see who would be qualifying you.

I see your logic with the 3 month lease, but it really doesn't work like that. First of all, no matter what your lease term is, if you can't pay, they can get you out. So whether your term is 3 months or 12 really doesn't matter from that standpoint. Secondly, most landlords want tenants in for longer than 3 months. It's a huge PIA to turn an apartment, not to mention the extra wear and tear. And finally, when qualifying someone to comply with Fair Housing, landlords need to use the same criteria for EVERYONE. It doesn't matter if they sign a 3 month lease or 30 month lease, the term is irrelevant. Criteria in major communities are typically based on credit, employment, criminal and rental history. That's ALL they can go by, can't take any other factors into consideration.

Not trying to scare you or say there are absolutely no options for you, just want you to be realistic and know about the process and why things are how they are. If you look hard enough, hopefully you can find the right situation for you.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Why do places offer three month leases if they don't want to offer three month leases? It's a little confusing to say you are a flexible landlord then not mean it at all.

I'm only looking for somewhere for 1-6 months. Surely this is not an unusual situation?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 PM

Well if they say they offer three months, then they do. Most communities will tell you up front what their lease terms are. Again, that's something they'll have written in their policies so that they're complying with Fair Housing by having standards that are apply to everyone (but don't confuse that with qualifying, that's a different policy altogether). And flexible doesn't necessarily mean offering a very short term lease. Flexible can be anything other than the normal 12 month lease, even going up to 18 months or 2 years.

The bottom line is it's a regional thing and will vary based on the demands of the area. I work in a fairly large apartment market in the Southeast. We have over 400 apartment communities in our greater area. I only know of one community that offers a month to month lease off the bat (and they charge a boatload for it!) and only a handful that offer 3 months. Most communities start at 6. For folks that are looking for something shorter, we have short term and extended stay companies in our area that people will rent through. Basically, the company rents the apartment for a year, then rents it back to the tenants for short term to make a profit. Basically a corporate sublease. That's how people around here get short term housing. Call around to some places in your area and see how it is there.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 AM

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting