Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 12,096 times

Advertisements

First of all, I LOVE this neighborhood. I can walk my dog and not feel threatened (except the occasional rich lady in a BMW wanting to kidnap my chihuahua...hehe) and its a QUIET area.

But I have to rant about my place of residence.

1. The place itself is EXTREMELY out-dated... ie.. 1970's lighting fixtures, trash compactor that stinks---obviously, 1970's old lady wallpaper, and lack of ceiling fans---but I can put up with those! Its the PAPER WINDOWS that really drive me crazy... when the wind blows (always blowing in Oklahoma I have found) the flippin curtains move while the windows are closed!!!!!

2. Only two burners on the stove top actually work. Cooking for everyone at once takes forever!

3. Even with the thermostat set on a whopping 58 degrees during the cold weather we had $250 gas bills! Ouches! I mean, a cardboard box has better insulation! Then in the hot weather our electric bill ran anywhere from $300-$400! The A/C didn't even work properly the first 3 months we lived here (June-August) but it ran ALL the TIME.

4. There is no water pressure in the bathroom sinks upstairs... period.

5. Landlord told us she would move her fridge, washer, and dryer out of the garage shortly after we moved in... its all still there and we moved in June of 2008. So our 2 car garage is just a one car.

6. The landscapers put wood chips down in front of the place and didn't really do anything to "beautify" the area.... shortly there-after I had a yucky MILLIPEDE infestation in my bedroom. Needless to say I battled the things on my own worried about harmful chemicals and my dog I used an organic pesticide... expensed out of my own pocket.

7. The landlord didn't even wanna fix the stove stuff until about 3 months before our lease is up.

8. We informed the landlord that we aren't renewing the lease and so she's trying to put stuff in the yard and make us have the place "ready to show" and our lease isn't up til the end of May! The dog and our hectic schedules makes this a real inconvenience.

*******Can she do that? Force us to allow strangers in (which may cause my elderly dog a heart-attack) all at her convenience and not ours?**********

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 03-18-2009 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Don't know Oklahoma law per se... but every rental agreement I've seen and the State Law in CA specifically gives the owner the right to show property to prospective tenants... the only caveat normally is it must be down during normal business hours and proper notice must be given... you do not need to be present.

Maybe someone from Oklahoma will chime in...

Old 03-19-2009, 03:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Check the lease. Generally, there is a clause that will spell out the terms of showing when notice has been given of not re-newing a lease. In my leases, I can show the last 60 days if notice has been given. I do have to give notice of showing and the tenant does not have to be present. Again, check the provisions of your lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting