U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,245,914 times

Advertisements

I live in a mobile home park with mostly older people living here. Several months ago, someone talking had started coming over my bedroom radio at night. I listened and it is our manager. When I went to pay my rent, I told him I could hear him through my radio.. Since then, he is comimg through on my phone, my TV and my computer. Some of the neighbors I have talked to are having the same problem and one was told if she didn't like it, they could move..

From what I understand, he has some sort of booster on it that he can turn on and off. When that booster is on, that is when we get him over our electronics. He HAS been reported and whomever came out to investigate found nothing wrong (twice!)...(Of coarse not, he isn't that dumb as to really show them what he is doing)

My question is, is there some sort of filter or thing we can put on our electronics to prevent this from coming through or something we can use to make this backfire in his face?

I was talking to a neighbor on the phone yesterday and she was hearing him louder than me over her phone and we had to hang up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 AM

24,671 posts, read 55,813,730 times
I feel badly for you and if you read this thread which is a couple of years old,

Neighbors CB Radio - RFI Forum at eHam.net

it seems that there's not a lot you can do. Read it anyway as it's full of good info and I particularly like the last post which I would definitely consider as a last resort! Good luck!

Old 03-31-2009, 11:15 AM

STT Resident- Some of that was down right funny! I liked the last post too but am not brave enough to try that. He is a pretty sneaky guy. One resident was having a lot of things stolen and installed a video camera.. He rigged up something that interferrs with it so all she has is snow on her monitor.. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.

Like I said, his answer to one resident was to tell them if they don't like it to MOVE so I know complaining will do no good...

Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM

65,013 posts, read 66,516,088 times
well you have to be sure its cb and not ham...99% of the time the ham transmitters are very clean and any talking you hear is the result of electronics today being so cheapened that they are very poor at not picking up radio siganals too and its not the transmitters fault. ....... you can try some filters from most amatuer radio internet sources.

if its cb there are a few issues...i am a ham radio operator and have been away from i cb for many years.... im not sure anymore of the rules but linear amplifiers were not legal when i used to be into it....if theyre not you can report him to the fcc.... of course how would you know he has one unless someone who knows him rats him out ....

cb linears were notorius for out of band signals and unlike the ham equipment they can be pretty dirty if not made by a reputable manufacturer... if thats the case he needs a low pass filter and even that may not totaly filter a dirty transmitter..... its very hard to get to the root of the problem unless your able to work together to eliminate it

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-31-2009 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,625,085 times
If he's coming in over the TV, can you record it? If you TiVo (or use your DVR or your cable's DVR capabilities), does your manager's voice show up? Not sure what you could do with such "evidence" but at least you'd have something tangible to show.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM

65,013 posts, read 66,516,088 times
in the old days it was a little easier to correct as most electronics had metal cases so they were kind of shielded. today with plasic cases over tv's and stereos it can be impossible sometimes

theres is normally only two ways the signal gets in your tv... thru the power line, in which case a good quality line filter can clean that up,...key word good quality, not these 5.99 outlet strips...

the other way is air born , you can get high pass filters at radio shack which go on the antenna lead but i forgot if you said you had cable tv or not.... if you have cable let them deal with it...

Old 05-07-2009, 05:08 AM

13 posts, read 23,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well you have to be sure its cb and not ham...99% of the time the ham transmitters are very clean and any talking you hear is the result of electronics today being so cheapened that they are very poor at not picking up radio siganals too and its not the transmitters fault. ....... you can try some filters from most amatuer radio internet sources.

if its cb there are a few issues...i am a ham radio operator and have been away from i cb for many years.... im not sure anymore of the rules but linear amplifiers were not legal when i used to be into it....if theyre not you can report him to the fcc.... of course how would you know he has one unless someone who knows him rats him out ....

cb linears were notorius for out of band signals and unlike the ham equipment they can be pretty dirty if not made by a reputable manufacturer... if thats the case he needs a low pass filter and even that may not totaly filter a dirty transmitter..... its very hard to get to the root of the problem unless your able to work together to eliminate it
Also, something else which might work for some things would be toroids (which are pieces of iron/other metals) you can wrap cords and wires around to see if they help. For your telephones, there are filters which will help. I used to live in an area about 3 miles from a 100,000-watt AM radio station and the phone line filters knocked the radio station completely out of my phone. I am also a ham radio operator and understand a good deal about radio frequency (RF) interference. Amplifiers for the CB (sometimes also known as the 'chicken band' or 'charlie brown') radio service are still illegal and the radios themselves are supposed to only transmit at a power level of 4 watts. Go to the FCC website and get some information on how to report this person. This might not do a lot of good, but at least they'll have it on the record. Also, check with your neighbors to see if any of them have interference on their home electronics (I suspect you may not be the only one). Encourage them to report this person as well. It sounds as if though this guy is a CB radio operator, as most amateur (or ham) operators will try to work with you to resolve the issue, even though according to FCC regs, your radio or whatever has to accept interference from a licensed service (we have to have a license to use our radios). Also, if you can hear them clearly, it would be an even better chance this guy is a "CB'er", as most of our communications would sound like the adults in a Charlie Brown cartoon.
Good luck in getting this issue resolved.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 AM

4,227 posts, read 20,359,543 times
Sounds like your manager has what is called "stray RF" coming from his radio.

The "booster" you are referring to, is called a "linear amp".

Yes a linear amp can cause this, but so can a maladjusted radio by the local hack shop CB shop.

Yes it's still illegal to operate a linear on a "chicken band" radio, as a name given to CB by "pig banders". (hams) However some CB operators manage to keep their radios on track and the FCC doesn't bother them.

Linears are supposed to be used on the ham bands only. But since the CB band is/was formerly a ham band (until Sept 11, 1958), a linear works well on the CB band too.

And yes most hams usually are willing to work with you as they would hate to lose that ticket they worked so hard (or so little, by today's standards) for. However there are some hams that could give 2 cents less about anyone but themselves. Same goes for CB, you have some good operators and some bad. However unlike ham radio, a CB doesn't require a license.

If your neighbor isn't willing to keep his bleed over off of your home electronics, I'd give the FCC a call. They're the last people this guy wants to see, especially if they pop up right when he's transmitting. And yes if they show up at his door step, he HAS to show them all of his gear....if he wants to keep from paying a $10,000-$18,000 fine. Don't bother calling the police, they haven't a clue as to what to look for....but "Uncle Charlie" does.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM

He is still at it and we have just had to learn how to live with it. People have been called out a number of times and found nothing worng with his equipment.

He is dying now of cancer so all we have to do it wait and it will be over. He is not able to get out of his house anymore and that is all he has to pass the time, so we are just waiting it out.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 AM

24,671 posts, read 55,813,730 times
This thread ended seven months ago ... hopefully the OP's problems have now been resolved one way or the other!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or