Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 11,808 times

Advertisements

I live in the SB Manhattens in Los Angeles on 6th and Spring. As a law enforcement officer, I have contacted the management about the activity to include crimes that have been committed by the visitors to the unit that is dealing drugs behind their closed doors. I have no jurisdiction where I live, and know nothing about my rights in this area. My biggest concern is that this unit is having numerous visitors (shady) who are coming at all times in the day and night. They are signing in using different names according to the security and they are very frustrated and are affraid for their jobs to say anything, for the management has done nothing about it. Their has been police reports taken for an assault against a security officer, which was captured on camera. A vehicle that was stolen which was captured on tape from one of these visitors right outside the front doors of the lobby. I am afraid for my family when I am away from work and fellow friends (tenants).
I am inviting any suggestions and or ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I'd look at moving out. Once I thought I had people dealing drugs out of their apt below mine. Told the property mgr of my suspicions (I was a 'good tenant' who had lived there 3+years), and the apt was empty 3 days later.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM

13 posts, read 136,295 times
You have the same rights as any American citizen; The right to feel safe in your home, the right to exercise some control over who has access to your building (and subsequently, the door to your apartment) and the women and children who live therein.
Step 1: Get as many tenants involved in your concerns as possible...Start a petition to begin requiring that visitors show some form of ID when they sign-in. This is a reasonable request, and will only cause a problem for those needing to remain anonymous and the drug dealers who don't want their customers hassled.

Once you have a majority vote in the form of signatures, make 3 copies.
Send to Corporate management, Building owners, and local / on-site manager.

As a fellow officer, the local police will be happy to listen to your concerns and file a formal complaint regarding suspicious activity in the suspect unit. A drug bust works out well for everyone but the dealer.
Keep in mind the possibility that the dealers may have the building manager in their pocket...Everyone could use an extra wad of cash each month, and a few hundred bucks to look the other way is easy money.
Don't put all of your trust in the on-site manager to solve the problem for you...but everyone has a boss.
Call the corporate office of the management company and state your case: Obvious drug activity, serious tenant-security issues, and a complete lack of concern/attention on the part of the local manager(s).

Old 04-03-2009, 08:25 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
You are a law enforcement officer and you don't know what to do? Call the cops who do have jurisdiction and report the suspicious activity. And/or move out.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:49 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Offer to go undercover for the local police, wear a wire and make a buy. Testify in court and put the dirt bags where they belong.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
You are a law enforcement officer and you don't know what to do?
My thoughts exactly...

Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
In California it's a double edge sword...

A Landlord has to be able to prove illegal activity and often neighbors and/or residents are unwilling to get involved and this is why, in my opinion, things like this continue.

A few years ago, a local Landlord filed to evict based on illegal activity. The tenant in question fought it with legal aid and the judge asked the Landlord why he couldn't produce witnesses? Landlord responded, "No one will come to court because they are afraid" Judge told Landlord he didn't meet the burden of proof.

Many areas have "Just Cause" Eviction statutes that require the Landlord prove the reason for eviction as opposed to just giving the tenant notice that they need to be out in 30 days... etc.

Two months later, the apartment was shot-up by a drug deal that went bad...

By the way, Legal aid was awarded legal fees that the Landlord had to pay

California Police Officers Standards act gives any Peace Officer authority anywhere in the state if a crime is in progress... no jurisdiction to worry about at least that is what I was told when I attended a citizens Police Academy Day...

Good Point about the Police not knowing what to do... just imagine a Landlord with no law enforcement training attempting to enforce the law

I don't know of a single Landlord that would not evict if instructed to do so by Law Enforcement. The problem is Law Enforcement is reluctant to get involved in what they term a "Civil Matter" because of Liability issues.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM

3 posts, read 21,047 times
Default drug dealing

i have same problem landlord turns his eyes to it here in MOD CUT vancouver wa

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-18-2011 at 08:05 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 09:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned citizen 38 View Post
i have same problem landlord turns his eyes to it here in Vancouver WA
This thread is over a year old. Unless you want to attract even more undesirables to the location it's not a good idea to post the address on the Internet ...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-04-2011 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: remove address

Old 04-18-2011, 02:09 PM

911 posts, read 2,598,887 times
i asked my landlord the same thing about drug problems in the old spot i lived in......he told me the police can be called but if the people dont answer the door, there's nothing they can do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting