Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 04:45 PM

106,581 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

well heres one im still not sure of...... if your hoa or condo gets sued and the award is more than the insurance carried by the development no question all the owners would be on the hook for the balance...

but the part im still waiting to hear back on is the fact that homeowners insurance and umbrellas normally wont cover you since its not an event caused by you. some insurance companies offer riders called lose prevention that will cover you for over and above what the development carries but i called geico today and they dont offer it..

they werent sure either if i would be covered normally or not and have to get back to us... they did say their co-op insurance does cover that but they werent sure about when your in a condo or hoa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM

761 posts, read 3,414,725 times
what happened? who is getting sued? not sure if there is enough information to fully answer your question. I am a treasurer of an association in a condo building so i may be able to look up some info for you for common policies, etc..

Last edited by Norsky1; 04-15-2009 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: added some

Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 AM

well we were discussing the issues of us doing our own security patrols at an hoa meeting by our home in the poconos.

we have a few snow mobilers and atv riders who use our private roads... security always chases them out... the question was what if one of them is injured and wins an award larger then the insurance the development carrys?.

in fact it can be any law suite, maybe a civil rights violation or slander suit against the development where the award is larger... the owners in the development would be held liable for the balance at least in new york and pa .

we found out that homeowners insurance and umbrella policies may not cover you...
they tend to only cover an event that an insured caused.... we are still waiting for geico to determine if we are or not as they dont offer a rider to their homeowners insurance for that.... they do have co-op insurance that covers that they said but not condo or homeowner insurance

guess the answer may turn out to be that a hoa must carry huge amounts of insurance so its never an issue....there goes those dues

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-16-2009 at 03:03 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 AM

A good idea to incorporate a no ATV/Snowmobile ordinance within your development? Be sure to add it into the by laws so it stick. Therefore your HOA would not be liable for someones stupidity.

If these are private roads and are not homeowners within the HOA riding on the PRIVATE roads, they are tresspassing, therefore I don't think your insurance would have to pay.

Thoughts?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
A good idea to incorporate a no ATV/Snowmobile ordinance within your development? Be sure to add it into the by laws so it stick. Therefore your HOA would not be liable for someones stupidity.

If these are private roads and are not homeowners within the HOA riding on the PRIVATE roads, they are tresspassing, therefore I don't think your insurance would have to pay.

Thoughts?

if our security is found libel by a court then you we woul d have to pay..... it can be any matter that the development looses in court not just atv or snow mobiles.... if our board gets sued and losses is another aspect.

its any award larger then the developments policy..remember we are talking awards, not wether or not you may win initially

Old 04-16-2009, 07:11 AM

Big insurance policy it is then I guess..

Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM

i think thats the answer...... anyone in a condo or hoa better take a good look at their developments insurance coverage before your left holding the bag....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting