Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 PM

101 posts, read 562,811 times

Advertisements

Im really about to explode on my landlord. He is the cheapest slumlord EVER ! I contacted him repeatedly WEEKS ago about a rat/mice infestation in my apartment and he has done absolutely nothing!I cant tell you how many times he said over the phone " Im on my way over with my guy "

The infestation has gotten so bad that I left and me and my kids went to my mom's house in new jersey for an entire week because I walked in my apartment and was greeted by multiple mickey mouses all over my apartment within a 5 minute time frame. I was screaming so loud the person on the phone thought I was screaming for my life and dialed 911 .

Im extremly paranoid. I hear squeaking all night long so Im sleep deprived. Im a walking zombie because Im so afraid that the mice will get in our beds so Ive been co sleeping with my two kids just watching them all night long until morning THAN I get up and notice droppings all over my freshly washed floor EVERY day ..

I told the LL that it was REALLY bad and he still hasnt done a thing! He came over last week and looked around for all of 2 minutes and said he will be sending someone over right away and LEFT MY DOOR OPEN and when I tried to close it said "Im coming right back up with my guy" and after a friggin half hour I closed my door and waited.....He NEVER showed back up...He didnt call the next day or the next or the next or the next. I left him several messages no response....

I called him Friday night freaking out AGAIN and I threatened to call 311 on him and he called me back Sunday night at around 11:30 pm and said he would be right over at 8:00 am the next day....HE NEVER SHOWED UP .I called back furious and he LIED...He said oh I came over there twice on Friday...I was home Friday ! He was blatantly lying! I said well why didnt you let yourself in !? You dont have a extra key as a darn landlord are you kidding me?!?!

So he told me to be home today at 8:00 am he was sending someone over...I called him at 8:30 to tell him no one was here ! I called him repeatedly throughout the day to the same "Im sorry were on our way " ...At 12:45 pm he said "My guy is 20 minutes away from your apartment were coming " By 2:30 pm NO ONE SHOWED UP!! I called again at 3:30 and before I could even open my mouth he said "Were three blocks away !" and hung up on me! He did not show up until 5:00 pm!!I repeat 5:00 pm!!!Him and "his guy" went straight to my cabinets and said oh there is two holes there we will be right back. His "guy" also doesnt speak english very well and the landlord was very irritated with ME like I did something wrong by asking for an exterminator His "guy" ISNT an exterminator! He's just some guy who does odd jobs for him like a maintenance man . ...He kept making snide comments like "she claims she has MICE!! "He screamed mice and slammed my cabinet door and than he looked at the bathroom door and said " Oh you broke the door " I said my daughter was locked in the bathroom I had no choice but to bang the door open .He was pissed and I was like what the hell ...That door is cheap and hollow as anything! You can replace that door for 30 bucks ! I immediately told him I have no problem paying for the door ....

He didnt even listen to me!!I was gonna tell him you friggin jerk there are holes all over the place not just that cabinet! The mice are living in my stove and under my fridge and there are maybe holes there! If he wasnt such a cheap *** and hired an exterminator they would have thoroughly sealed my apartment and gave me some good traps. I have shelled out over 150 bucks trying to remedy the problem myself! Exterminators WONT come without the landlord's permission to treat the building in NYC . It's a no win situation!

Okay so he left at roughly 5:05 pm and it's now 7:40 pm so he did the SAME BS he did last week! He came in my apartment noticed the obvious problems and walked out and ignored them!

What should I say to this jerk?! You know what Im going to be honest. I think he wont do anything because Im on a rent program! I think he looks down on me because Im having a portion of my rent paid with a government subsidy ...Reguardless of how the rent is paid cash is cash and he shouldnt treat me that way ! I have been nice as pie. I have not raised my voice or threatened him YET . Right now I seriously want to spit in his face for his blatant disrespect. It's like he's saying ********* and your kids! I have babies living here for God's sake and he wont address the problem?!?!?

I want to mail him a NASTY letter saying something like ...You know what Im tired of the games you are playing. You dont care about me or my kids health living with rodents in your messed up apartment building FINE dont fix a thing because I called 311 and the board of health and I cant wait until they get here because Im going to show them anything and everything hazardous in this apartment and I hope they fine you up the ass and if my kids get bitten by any rodent in this apartment Im suing the hell out of you. I documented every phone call and written request . Dont step foot in this apartment to fix anything I want to let the state of new york see what a negligent cheapskate you truly are . BTW my smoke detector is broken and has been broken for months which he also failed to fix !

Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Life's too short and you have your kids to think of... I wouldn't say another word...

Contact your Housing Worker and pick up the form to give proper notice, fill it out and move.

You hold all the cards... if you move, he won't get another penny from you and you will be able to find a decent and safe place for your kids and the taxpayers will be getting value for rent assistance paid each month on behalf of you and your family...

One of the best features of being a renter is the freedom to move... you have no investment... it's not like you poured your life savings into your home and now face the possibility of loosing everything because you can't make the mortgage payments.

If I wasn't getting the treatment I expected from any business... I would stop patronizing the establishment pronto... renting is just like any other business.

As a side note... mice and rats are easily controlled by eliminating their food source and inexpensive snap-traps... My grandmother even kept a few on hand just in case... last I checked they were less than $3 for two... A scrap of Bacon seems to really attract the little critters The little guys are probably just as scared of you as you are of them.

PS... When you're out today, pick-up a new smoke detector... less than $6 at target... never heard of a smoke detector breaking by itself... but, hey... stay around long enough and you learn anything is possible.

The good thing is you can take your smoke detector with you when move... think of it as an investment in the future of your family... please don't be cheap... smoke detectors save lives everyday in this country.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
You say you keep calling your LL, but you never indicated that you notified him properly...in writing CRRR and kept a copy. As long as you cannot document that you notified him, its a he said/she said issue. Notify him in writing, then call the housing authority or code inspectors (whichever applies in your area) if he does not respond appropriately.

Ultrarunner is correct about controlling mice. I always used peanut butter on the traps, seems they love the stuff.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
File a complaint with housing.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:56 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,709 times
In the meantime, get some mousetraps!!!

Get glue traps, they aren't dangerous and they work.

Line the perimeters of your home with them. You can get a pack of 4 for a couple of bucks.

Make sure your home is clean and dry (no water left around the sinks and all).

Go to Walmart or K-Mart or something and buy big plastic bins and put packaged foods in there.

Look around for holes and stuff them with Steel Wool or Choreboy.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Is this the same apartment where your children were being bothered by noisy neighbors or did you move out and find something else?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Is this the same apartment where your children were being bothered by noisy neighbors or did you move out and find something else?

Yes this is the same crappy apartment ....Oh and guess what he rented the apartment directly next to me so we share walls and the very first night she moved in she blasted music until 1:30 am. It was so loud you can hear it on the sidewalk and we share walls! Everynight she comes home at 9:00 pm and blasts music until 12:00 am or later. I havent even approached her about it because when I approached the other neighbor it got really ugly and I asked very nicely . Some ppl are just CRAZY ...So im just looking for a new apartment but it would still be a good 2 or 3 months before I can move out of here.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
In the meantime, get some mousetraps!!!

Get glue traps, they aren't dangerous and they work.

Line the perimeters of your home with them. You can get a pack of 4 for a couple of bucks.

Make sure your home is clean and dry (no water left around the sinks and all).

Go to Walmart or K-Mart or something and buy big plastic bins and put packaged foods in there.

Look around for holes and stuff them with Steel Wool or Choreboy.
I have done that. I spent over 150 dollars trying to remedy the problem myself. I bought exspensive poisons ,dcon closed traps,old fashioned wooden traps, THREE types of glue traps , peppermint oil, cayenne pepper , I put all my groceries in my refridgerator, I excessively clean . I filled every hole I could find ..I bought a product that would raise my bed even higher off the floor . I bought a bunch of cleaning products ...Ive called exterminators who wont come without the slumlord's permission . Im exhaused AND broke.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniyasmommy View Post
I have done that. I spent over 150 dollars trying to remedy the problem myself. I bought exspensive poisons ,dcon closed traps,old fashioned wooden traps, THREE types of glue traps , peppermint oil, cayenne pepper , I put all my groceries in my refridgerator, I excessively clean . I filled every hole I could find ..I bought a product that would raise my bed even higher off the floor . I bought a bunch of cleaning products ...Ive called exterminators who wont come without the slumlord's permission . Im exhaused AND broke.
A cat would have been cheaper, and effective too.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
A cat would have been cheaper, and effective too.
Very true with the right cat... didn't suggest it because of probable pet restrictions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting