U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:17 PM

807 posts, read 922,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
If you have a lease, you have an agreement to pay each month. Breaking that lease, you have to pay each month, whether your there or not...so, if its march, then you owe up til June30th!

Just because you gave them that small amount of money...(it 'is' small, compared to what you owe, you wont get out of your lease for that...). The people who you lease from, probably are using your rent to pay for the place, so, they actually need your money to pay for the property so they dont go into default.

I hope you have enough to pay them off...

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
The OP is NOT trying to get out of paying rent. The OP just wants to not pay for the last month's rent and let the landlord have the entire security deposit which is a $600 MORE than the monthly rent instead of paying the last month's rent, then waiting to get her entire security deposit back. She's willing to continue paying utilities, and give the landlord the extra $600. But the landlord doesn't want to do this, which is his choice unless there was a clause in the lease that states she could use her security deposit for the last month's rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 PM

984 posts, read 2,010,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
The OP is NOT trying to get out of paying rent. The OP just wants to not pay for the last month's rent and let the landlord have the entire security deposit which is a $600 MORE than the monthly rent instead of paying the last month's rent, then waiting to get her entire security deposit back. She's willing to continue paying utilities, and give the landlord the extra $600. But the landlord doesn't want to do this, which is his choice unless there was a clause in the lease that states she could use her security deposit for the last month's rent.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was just about to do that. Yes I only owe the last months rent. After reading all of the responses I decided that it would be best to pay the rent even though we will not be there. I have never rented a home before so I was not sure what was the right thing to do. We told our landlord that we will not be living in the home past may 26th and they seem fine with the house being vacant as long as we pay the rent. We are going to take pictures of each room before we leave. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 AM

6,270 posts, read 12,547,007 times
was reading through the broke lease threads and have a question:

Lease is broken. What is the Property Managements duty as far as advertising vacated house?
Does the ad have to be exactly as it was originally? Does the ad have to specify the amount and does the rental amount have to be exactly as it was when rented by persons who broke the lease?

Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 AM

589 posts, read 932,118 times
Some years ago I leased a house in WA state for 1 year... however my Canadian immg papers came through and 2 mos. before the end of my lease I gave notice to move out 1 mo. early. My landlord required me to pay the last mo. even though he had time to advertise for new tenant and even upped the rent by 10%. He was able to raise the rent because I kept the property super clean, have nice furnishings, and beautiful artworks. The first prospective tenant to see the place immediately signed up. So when I moved out the new tenant moved in right away. My landlord then returned my sec. dep. 1 mo. after I moved out.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 AM

914 posts, read 2,430,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post

Lease is broken. What is the Property Managements duty as far as advertising vacated house?
Does the ad have to be exactly as it was originally? Does the ad have to specify the amount and does the rental amount have to be exactly as it was when rented by persons who broke the lease?
Depends on state law. The land lord generally does have to make "reasonable effort" to re-rent the property, and, in the event that the property is re-rented before the original least was to be up, pay back rent paid out by the original tenant for any dates they are receiving payment for the new tenant.

Beyond that, the landlord certainly has the right to change the amount of the rent if he/she wishes. If you are advertising on behalf of the landlord, don't make promises the landlord won't want to keep (i.e. don't list price unless you know what it is going to be) and reference people to the landlord if they are interested in the property. Otherwise, say whatever you like about the unit in the ad.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 AM

850 posts, read 2,855,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post

Ads are not required. The landlord just has to make a reasonable attempt to rent it. That varies so much by landlord. The action just has to fall within the companies typical marketing activities. For example, apartment communities just have to offer it in their availability along with the rest of their units. They don't have to place special ads or anything like that, just have it available in the instance a prospect wants that unit type. Now in the case of homes offered by property management companies, they're typically just relisted on MLS or on their website. If they choose to do an ad, that's their choice, but it's not required. The ad can say whatever they like in it, prices can be different, details can be different, it's totally up to the landlord. You have to keep in mind that the market changes so frequently, so what was advertised at the beginning of a lease a year or so ago probably won't apply now. You have to work with the market now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting