Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:22 PM

986 posts, read 2,803,045 times

Advertisements

We decided to rent for a year while our house was being built. The house got done in March and our lease is not up until june 30th. We do not want to leave the new house vacant for much longer so we decided to move the end of may. We asked our landlord to keep are entire security deposit (1,950.00). Use it to pay the last months rent(1,350.00) and what ever is left on any cleaning etc. They said no...we are giving them 600 dollars to do with what they need. The house is in perfect condition and clean. Why is this not a good deal? What is the worst that can happen if we decided not to pay the last months rent? We will pay all of the utilties for the month of june..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 PM

862 posts, read 1,638,464 times
I would say a landlord's perception would be that possibly there would be more than $600 worth of damage they would be out that money if they accept your "deal". Why not just pay the last month's rent, and then get all of your deposit back? You aren't out any more money, and might actually get the remaining $600 back after your lease is up.

Unless there might be more than $600 worth of damage? Not accusing, just wondering.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serate View Post
I would say a landlord's perception would be that possibly there would be more than $600 worth of damage they would be out that money if they accept your "deal". Why not just pay the last month's rent, and then get all of your deposit back? You aren't out any more money, and might actually get the remaining $600 back after your lease is up.

Unless there might be more than $600 worth of damage? Not accusing, just wondering.
I am the queen of clean..this house looks perfect. We did not expect our house to be done so fast. We have been paying mortage and rent for the past couple of months. We just wanted them to do us a favor. We asked that they come to the house the last day we are here to walk thru to make sure everything is ok.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,500,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
I am the queen of clean..this house looks perfect. We did not expect our house to be done so fast. We have been paying mortage and rent for the past couple of months. We just wanted them to do us a favor. We asked that they come to the house the last day we are here to walk thru to make sure everything is ok.
Landlords aren't too inclined to "do favors" for tenants unless the lease agreement has been of quite long standing and uncomplicated.

A walk-through should of course be done - with you present and preferably with photos being taken - but you're legally responsible to pay the last month's rent and then have your security deposit returned to you in whatever time is proscribed by the state in which you live.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:05 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,146,426 times
It's unfortunate that your landlord won't work with you. I was in a similar situation years ago when I bought my first house. My landlord allowed me to "trade" the new washer and dryer that I had purchased and had installed in the rental for my last month's rent. It helped me, obviously, as my new house already had a washer and dryer, and I really needed the cash, and it helped him, as he could then re-rent the house with a new washer and dryer, which increased the value.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 AM

862 posts, read 1,638,464 times
Quote:
Like I said I wasn't accusing, I was just asking. Though clean isn't what a landlord would be mainly worried about; it would be damages. [And I'm NOT saying you have any damages!] And it is unfortunate that your landlord won't work with you. Yep it's a pain cuz you're paying rent and a mortgage, but in the end the $ you spend is going to be the same. You just have to pay that last month's rent, THEN get your security deposit back. Things will be tight, but in the long run it's the best way to do it for all parties.

If your landlord rents out more than one house/unit, he might not want the pattern to be set for people to decide they will just give notice and not pay the last month's rent. Or maybe the landord has your deposit tied up in an account where he can't withdraw it w/o penalty until your lease runs out or he has to give 15 - 30 day's notice to withdraw, so therefore he would be out that last month's rent if he just let you use your security deposit. Landlords have bills too, especially if he's paying mortgage(s) himself on your rental or other rentals. There are many scenarios that could be playing out here. I don't think it's anything personal towards you, just his set way of doing business.

Congrats on your new house!

Last edited by serate; 04-22-2009 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: I need to learn how to spell!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,456,157 times
The worst the can happen is it will cost you...

No one can make you stay in the rental... the owner can try to go after you by getting a judgement and then try to collect...

At the worst, it will cost your time, some money and maybe a ding on your credit.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 PM

I keep being told about "damages" what does this mean? Other than making sure the house is clean and patching up any holes from pictures, what else would they be looking for that would be our responsibility?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,250,521 times
Quote:
I keep being told about "damages" what does this mean? Other than making sure the house is clean and patching up any holes from pictures, what else would they be looking for that would be our responsibility?

Damage to baseboards, carpets, basically anything that would be outside of normal wear and tear. If the house looks exactly like it did when you moved in then I would say you wouldn't have any damages. Our lease read that the deposit could not be used for the last months rent.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:04 PM

668 posts, read 2,179,901 times
If you have a lease, you have an agreement to pay each month. Breaking that lease, you have to pay each month, whether your there or not...so, if its march, then you owe up til June30th!

Just because you gave them that small amount of money...(it 'is' small, compared to what you owe, you wont get out of your lease for that...). The people who you lease from, probably are using your rent to pay for the place, so, they actually need your money to pay for the property so they dont go into default.

I hope you have enough to pay them off...

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting