Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 08:03 AM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times

Advertisements

Is there any way for me as a landlord to report bad renters (not paying rent) to a credit bureau?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:44 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Bad Tenant.org - Free tenant screening and reporting on bad tenants on this free website I have reported mine bad tenants so other LL can see them and check them. I hope many LL will report them. I'm in no way related to this website other than that I came across it while I was searching for the same thing as you are looking for.

I think you can report them if you pay for it...or a debt collector can do it.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:23 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
If you take them to court and win, the judgement will go on their credit report. When the judgement is satisfied, you file a Satisfaction of Judgement then that is picked up by the reporting bureaus, too. Just like any other debt or lien that is recorded.

The service we use for credit reports allows for a good or bad report to also be submitted at the end of that person's tenancy. We rarely ever submit a bad report because it just isn't that common here to totally get scammed by a tenant.

Do you have a way of obtaining the credit report in the first place, or if not you can use a tenant screening service.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:56 PM

I don't think a judgment will automatically will go on some ones credit report. As far as I have read on the internet it has to be reported to them. I have a judgment against a previous tenant and had it certify, it can come up with a background check.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambaker View Post
This problem has arisen because you did not went for screening your tenant before giving him the possession of your home. Tenant screening is very important and it should be done with reasonable care. Proper tenant screening can always help landlords in finding a good tenant for his rental property. American Apartment Owners Association provides tenant screening service to property owners and real estate investors. Landlords can get their first report of the tenant screening for free just by signing up with the association. Mod Cut Advertising
There are tons of screening agencies out there, just google it and you can find it but before you start wasting your money on it...check the public records for free in you county and neighboring counties...I have done it and it saved me on tenant screening payments since already their judgment and other things came up so I didn't have to go any further but could eliminate them faster without any costs.

Than you only need to screen who is left and has the most change of becoming your tenant. For every name you screen it will be added to the amount you have to pay for...so safe a lot by starting the free way before taking the other route!

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-06-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 04:58 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,343,707 times
Further, is there a device or system where a neighbor can report a bad tenant?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Is there any way for me as a landlord to report bad renters (not paying rent) to a credit bureau?
Does this sort of thing happen to you a lot?
If so, you might consider your role in the situation(s).

As to the "agencies" that take names for cases that haven't one through Court?
Be real careful of the slander charges you open yourself up to...
and if you have several of these you're mostly warning renters that YOU are the problem.

Last edited by MrRational; 10-08-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-08-2011, 07:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Further, is there a device or system where a neighbor can report a bad tenant?
Contact the owner/landlord of the property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Does this sort of thing happen to you a lot?
If so, you might consider your role in the situation(s).
This thread is pretty old so the comment is probably redundant.

Last edited by Marka; 10-08-2011 at 10:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting