Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:59 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
That's where the problem lies - State is in bad shape--even delaying tax refunds!!
Someone Should Report them to HUD in Washington DC. The person in the State/County Should be Fired!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Someone Should Report them to HUD in Washington DC. The person in the State/County Should be Fired!
Can't send money you don't have - only the Feds can, because they print the money
They delay payments to temporarily help their cash flow--just like some people do...

Besides, HUD is busy with foreclosures these days...

Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
What I am saying is that ; The state is delaying the payments as they do not have the money.

This tenant has been there for over 2 years so i am familiar when the checks are mailed. I normally get it in the mail on the first of the month. When the paperwork has to be renewed, it can be a few days late. Last month I sent in the paperwork in the middle of feb as the old paperwork was up on March 1st. They didnt get the paperwork until Feb 27th or so. When i called on March 5th, they said they were processing March's that day!! Hello; the payment is due on the first. I did get it around March 10th (10 days)

This month I called on Monday April 5th. I was told that the checks were delayed and it wasnt in the system yet to be approved. I was told to call in a few days. I called again yesterday and was told again, there was a delay ; many landlords were delayed with their checks. I may get it in 5-7 days. When i explained that there is a mortgage to be paid, I was told ; this is a depression not a recession and we are doing the best we can. So yes, i have called (spent about 7 hours trying to get thru), Yes, i am familiar with when checks come, and yes, this tenant is not a new tenant.

The county is broke ; at least our county is broke.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
What I am saying is that ; The state is delaying the payments as they do not have the money.

This tenant has been there for over 2 years so i am familiar when the checks are mailed. I normally get it in the mail on the first of the month. When the paperwork has to be renewed, it can be a few days late. Last month I sent in the paperwork in the middle of feb as the old paperwork was up on March 1st. They didnt get the paperwork until Feb 27th or so. When i called on March 5th, they said they were processing March's that day!! Hello; the payment is due on the first. I did get it around March 10th (10 days)

This month I called on Monday April 5th. I was told that the checks were delayed and it wasnt in the system yet to be approved. I was told to call in a few days. I called again yesterday and was told again, there was a delay ; many landlords were delayed with their checks. I may get it in 5-7 days. When i explained that there is a mortgage to be paid, I was told ; this is a depression not a recession and we are doing the best we can. So yes, i have called (spent about 7 hours trying to get thru), Yes, i am familiar with when checks come, and yes, this tenant is not a new tenant.

The county is broke ; at least our county is broke.
Sounds like the perfect reason to STEER CLEAR of government sponsored housing. Not to mention all of the added runaround and paperwork the landlord has to do. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,767 times
I live in Seattle and I have a Section 8 Voucher. It is a very good program especially for the owners...your properties will be inspected before the lease is signed and once a year after that, they guarantee your last months rent. You will have someone else the "Housing and Urban Development" HUD helping screen the tenant (please do your own screening). They will let you know what the going rate for rent is in your area.
Screen your tenants well and make all the rules up front and get them in writing...let the tenant sign any agreements nothing under the table....that way the federal govt. will not come after you.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 879 times
I'm a landlord in NY. I've been accepting section 8 payments for years, there are benefits to Section 8 that are mentioned here but I have yet to see the downside mentioned. Here are the problems with section 8 tenants: (Not all but in my experience most of them)
1. Tenant does not pay there portion at all (that 30% of income that was mentioned above).
2. Whenever tenant owes their portion for more then a month they call in inspections. If there are repairs that need to be done tenant will withhold their portion until they get a letter saying the inspection has passed( Section 8 says tenant is responsible for their portion even if repairs need to be made).
3. Tenant does not let you or Section 8 know that their boyfriend/girlfriend is living with them(higher water bill for you plus a person not stated on the lease).
4. Section 8 will not pay a tenants deposit and will not help you evict for non-payment (so if you are trying to evict a tenant for whatever reason all costs are borne to you).
5. Section 8 can stop payment at anytime for many different reasons (yes it happens and the landlord will receive a notice usually 2 weeks before, so not that much time to plan).

I can go on and on but I'm hoping you get the point.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
And for this we should be so proud of our government !!! Whatever happened to teaching people to work and pay for things ? I mean in the bible it says that a person who does not work does not eat . I have a real problem with people who dont want to work and the government pays their way so to speak .And then when the home that the government is paying for gets destroyed who pays to have it repaired the rest of us who are working and paying taxes for this sort of thing !!!

I see the problem as NIMBY homeowners use government to create shortages of housing affordable to low earners - homeowners have vested financial and lifestyle interests in maintaining such shortages.

11 million renters spend at least half their income on shelter. These people, by definition, do not receive government housing assistance. (If they had government housing assistance, they would not be paying half their income for shelter!) Obviously, working and paying for housing has not worked well for them!

Class warfare plays out in city and town halls across the country, and the poor usually lose.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:58 PM

586 posts, read 554,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
And for this we should be so proud of our government !!! Whatever happened to teaching people to work and pay for things ? I mean in the bible it says that a person who does not work does not eat . I have a real problem with people who dont want to work and the government pays their way so to speak .And then when the home that the government is paying for gets destroyed who pays to have it repaired the rest of us who are working and paying taxes for this sort of thing !!!
You should Google "French Revolution."

Old 03-30-2017, 10:56 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Our county sec 8 program is underfunded, thanks to the slime of landlords who keep the properties in disrepair while milking the system. Our county lists the homes accepting sec 8, 95% are from scummy landlord llc's that have two blind eyes and are deaf to genuine complaints. When reported to the HUD office...They slap them with a fine, which in turn starts the vicious cycle of rent increase and more $$ to cover the sanctions. Our city inspectors are so backlogged on these slumlords ...That they are now getting sued by the tenants.. our recent sec8 tenant reported electrical problems..Old wires ..Fire hazards... Our city was delayed 45 days...LLC refused to rewire...The place caught fire. Family left homeless, but by golly that LLC got their funds from the program ..And now the rubble sits vacant and they (slumlord) , has changed ownership to deter any delays in staying approved by HUD.
It's hard to keep a place safe and clean when walls are cracking...No insulation ...And windows are boarded up because the LLC doesn't want to fix a window ...
Our county has 200 families on the waiting list for sec 8. It's sad that with so many nicely run complexes can't take a few in at a reduced rate...
If hospitals accept Medicaid...You'd think a apartment place would salivate to get guaranteed money flowing in..,

Old 03-31-2017, 06:54 AM

749 posts, read 734,379 times
I only rent out 3 houses, but am a landlord nonetheless.

Under no circumstances will I ever rent out to Section 8 tenants. Ever. It's a guaranteed nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting