Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 AM

1 posts, read 7,362 times

Advertisements

I am moving my family from CA to Jacksonville FL to start a new life. We want to rent a nice apartment. I have charged with a petty theft misdemeanor in 2005. I paid 300 dollars fine and 16 hours community service and 3 years probation. My husband doesn't know this secret. I will never intend to let him know. I know for sure, it will ruin our relationship and the family and he would not forgive me and If I ever could turn back time, I would not do it. Anyhow, My husband's credit score is excellent and he has clean criminal background. Will the apartment manager reject our renting application
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 04:31 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,524 times
Wow. If your husband finding out about that would ruin your relationship, it's not much of a relationship in the first place in my opinion. Actually, the fact that you've hidden this from him shows things are amiss. You have my sympathy.

The apartment complex I live in claims they do a criminal background check on every resident. Personally, I doubt that they really do. And I'd be really surprised if the place you're considering will. To be on the safe side, however, if they say they will you might wanna just go ahead and believe them and come up with some excuse to your husband as to why you hate the place. Say it smells funny. Or you saw a ghost or something.
Good luck.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:39 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
I think the bigger issue is that you think your husband is so shallow that he would leave you over a misdemeanor, and because of that you've hidden it from him. You'd better tell him before he finds out for himself, otherwise when he does find out he's going to think you're hiding other things too.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:43 AM

761 posts, read 3,415,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamechick3 View Post
I am moving my family from CA to Jacksonville FL to start a new life. We want to rent a nice apartment. I have charged with a petty theft misdemeanor in 2005. I paid 300 dollars fine and 16 hours community service and 3 years probation. My husband doesn't know this secret. I will never intend to let him know. I know for sure, it will ruin our relationship and the family and he would not forgive me and If I ever could turn back time, I would not do it. Anyhow, My husband's credit score is excellent and he has clean criminal background. Will the apartment manager reject our renting application
Were you married when this happened?

Some will do background criminal checks, others don't.

Good Luck

Old 05-08-2009, 11:13 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I do criminal background checks for all adults. I give people the chance upfront to disclose everything and don't mind renting to them if no other "better" candidate with a clean record shows up.

Maybe they will go by your husbands credit score only or if you pay a higher security deposit. I still would need both soc. sec. # and both drivers lic. #..., but i guess the best thing is to talk to your husband before he finds out in a different way which will be worse than you telling him...just a suggestion! Good Luck

Old 05-08-2009, 06:00 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,471 times
Take it from me tell your husband. I have done some naughty things in my day and yours is small compared to mine. Actually yours is a crumb compared to mine. I told my husband almost as soon as we met. I did not want a cloud hanging over my head in our relationship. He was understanding and non-judgmental. For your peace of mind tell him. He may be mad at first cause you kept if from him but you need to believe he will come around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting