U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2009, 09:41 PM

797 posts, read 1,818,354 times

Advertisements

What do you do when the rental co. sends a letter telling you the carpet had to be replaced for $1,200? Don't they buy this stuff by the truck load? The carpet had a lot of wear and tear as it's just cheap. I had throw rugs at all the entry points, but it just didn't wear well. It looked dingy inspite of cleaning it. I thought at least we'd be charged for cleaning it but not the whole replacement? Seems almost like a scheme. That they tear out the carpets after each tenant anyways--at least that's what I've seen in my building in the time I was there.

Any recourse on my end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 52,135 times
There really isn't anything you can do. Pony up and pay for it. I've only ever had my landlord keep my deposit though. Are they saying you owe 1200 or is the total 1200 and they are keeping your deposit?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 PM

850 posts, read 2,853,129 times
Every carpet has a lifespan. If they determined that it needed replacement based on your damages, then they need to prorate out the charge. You're only responsible for the remaining life left in the carpet.

Typically, the average for apartment grade carpet is 7 years. Ask them for a breakdown of their charges. Carpet depends on square footage, so $1200 could very well be in line for a prorated charge, it's tough to say.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM

5,593 posts, read 10,976,514 times
Landlords aren't going to replace carpet "just because". They replace it when it needs replacing. What if they had 4 tenants in a row only stay 6 months each. That would mean the carpet would have been replaced 4 times in the amount of time you lived there, which would be totally excessive.

As babytarheelz said, charges for things like carpet have to be prorated for the life they should have had left on them.

So, a couple of scenarios.

If the carpet was new when you moved in, and you were there 2 years, going with the average life span of apartment carpet, lets say 7 years, that means if the carpet now needs to be replaced, you are responsible for 5/7 of the cost. So if it cost $1500 to replace, you would be responsible for $1071 of that cost.

However, if the carpet was not new when you moved in, it gets more complicated. Lets say another tenant lived on that carpet for 2 years. The obvious answer would be that it had 3 years left on it. (7-2-2=3). But who is responsible for that? Did you live on it harder than expected, or did the tenant before you? Hard to tell, unless the last tenant left it in either exceptionally good or very bad condition.

We usually put in higher grade carpet in most of our rentals, but they are houses and duplexes, and tenants tend to stay longer than an average apartment renter. So we put in 10 year carpet. We had one tenant completely destroy it in only 5 years. We've had other people live on it for a decade and leave it literally "like new". Some people just live harder than others.

Finally, don't forget that the cost to replace carpet includes not only the carpet itself, but also the labor to install it.

If the carpet was new when you moved in, you probably have no recourse at all. Pay the money. If you had a good relationship with your landlord, you could try to negotiate with them. Often, landlords expect that they will have to go to court to collect this type of thing from tenants who refuse to pay. If you are willing to pay it off in a lump sum, the LL will possibly let you off with a smaller amount.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 PM

12,187 posts, read 12,693,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
What do you do when the rental co. sends a letter telling you the carpet had to be replaced for $1,200? Don't they buy this stuff by the truck load? The carpet had a lot of wear and tear as it's just cheap. I had throw rugs at all the entry points, but it just didn't wear well. It looked dingy inspite of cleaning it. I thought at least we'd be charged for cleaning it but not the whole replacement? Seems almost like a scheme. That they tear out the carpets after each tenant anyways--at least that's what I've seen in my building in the time I was there.

Any recourse on my end?

I'm concluding from the above that the carpet was worn when you rented, am I correct? You've moved out and their trying to keep your deposit money? There are so many things renters could do to protect themselves but don't. Did management do a walk thru with you at the time you signed your lease? This way you could have brought it to the attention of management, had it documented and kept a copy for yourself.
Some Property Managers are not going to look out for your best interest. They want to stay within budget, so they look good when it's bonus time. They may have charged the last tenant for the carpet as well, but didn't replace it. Sorry, but if you have no documentation your stuck. The only thing you can do is to speak to the Property Manager directly and plead your case, it's worth a try. Good Luck

Old 05-14-2009, 06:17 PM

12,187 posts, read 12,693,068 times
BTW, depending on your lease agreement, there is whats considered normal wear to a carpet, that is to be expected, in the state I live in you cannot be charged for normal carpet wear. The Property Management company has to eat that. Please read your original lease agreement.

Again, Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting