Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:32 PM

371 posts, read 1,566,593 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I rent out a 2 bedroom condo in Connecticut...two guys just moved in a month ago and they called us the other day about bed bugs. We never had a problem with this before, EVER! So we are having an exterminator come in tomorrow to spray. We are paying for it even though we don't know who brought them in or how they got there. The place is very clean. I mean they could have gotten it from the moving truck for all we know. The previous tenant never had a problem. Anyway, the tenantcalled and wants to know who is going to pay for his dry cleaning bill!! The exterminator said that they have to shake their clothes out and bag them so they can spray....uhm...is that my problem?? Am I supposed to pay for this...?? We can't prove that they broughtit in but we also can't prove they were there beforehand either. They inspected the entire complex....their's is the only unit. Does their rental insurance cover this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I dont think so and I think that you do have to pay to have the place sprayed . You are in a catch 22 sittuation and it is hard .

Old 05-18-2009, 07:14 PM

901 posts, read 2,986,784 times
I'm pretty sure that you have to pay to have the exterminator come. The scary thing about bedbugs is that anyone can get it. You're right, they could have come from the moving truck. The also could have tracked them in. You never know.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:25 PM

Sorry...I just re read what I wrote...we are paying for the extermintator but the tenant wants us to pay for his dry cleaning...we aren't liable for that right? Thats what I meant to write but I was watching tv at the same time...my bad!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
I'm kind of confused as to why has a dry cleaning bill? Can you elaborate?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
It looks to me if the two of you are going to be at odds here about where the bugs came from. There certainly not going to admit it, if they brought them along with there move. BB's are pretty difficult to remedy. I know it's disgusting but they can live for up to two years in an enclosed case mattress, I know a Property Manager who is dealing with a problem like this now. I hope you'll continue to exterminate. They have the option of contacting the Department of Health. How much dry cleaning are you looking at here, have they said?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 AM

We are having it exterminated,the inspector suggested 6 treatments. The reason for dry cleaning is because the man wears suits to work and the paperwork from the exterminator suggested dry cleaning clothes and laundering everything. His issue is who should pay for the dry cleaning. My husband is willing to knock off some money off the rent for the inconveinence but not pay for his dry cleaning bill. So we are paying for our obligation of the bed bugs treatments and taking some money off rent...but c'mon pay for your drycleaning??? Thats my question...should we have to pay for his dry cleaning?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 AM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
If you are accepting responsibility for the bugs by paying for exterminating, then you are responsible for also paying for the dry cleaning if a professional has recommended it as part of the treatment. I'm fairly certain any court would see it that way as well. Had you not accepted responsibility for treatment, it would have been a different story and you could have possibly faught it. But calling in and paying for an exterminator shows a court it's on you, not them.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:56 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,158,957 times
I think you should have the exterminator confirm that they in fact have a bed bug infestation.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:48 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
I'm wondering...could you get a notarized affidavit from the previous tenant stating that there was no infestation before your current tenants moved in? My thought here is maybe that would be useful in defending yourself against any sort of lawsuit the tenant might bring...

Also...you say it's a condo. It's quite possible that one of your neighbors brought in the infestation, and if you can find out which one it is, you could sue them for damages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting