Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times

Advertisements

Both partys have to sign an agreement to have a "legal binding contract".
If your signature is forged, and you can prove it, you can rake her over the coals.
Verbal contracts are a "she said/I said" type of thing.
Courts need written documentation or first hand witness testimony.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 AM

6 posts, read 32,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
In home rentals where you are a living w/ the landlord falls under different laws than if you were leasing a dwelling.
She doesn't want you to live there anymore and maybe a baby is why.

But why be mad at her? I had rommies before and surely wouldn't want a baby around. It takes alot out of anyone around a baby...and maybe she just isn't capable of doing it.

You got lucky and found a place for a while. Just stay until you find another place and move on.

I am in this position because she promised me I could stay. I had the opportunity to go home a few months ago and she wanted me to stay because she knew I needed the support and wanted to keep the same ob/gyn. Now it's too late. I'm too far along to move states away. I was under the impression we were friends, but as I have now learned, you can trust hardly anyone for their word anymore. I am not lucky.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 AM

6 posts, read 32,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Both partys have to sign an agreement to have a "legal binding contract".
If your signature is forged, and you can prove it, you can rake her over the coals.
Verbal contracts are a "she said/I said" type of thing.
Courts need written documentation or first hand witness testimony.
I have plenty of first hand witness testimony. My mother and father came down to visit and she told them in front of her aunt that I could stay for an indefinite length of time. She has also told a very good friend of mine the same thing. Like I said I do not want to stay where I am not wanted; I just don't want her to do anything else to me. I'm in a difficult position as it is; one that I hope no one else ever has to face.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
In Maryland, you are considered a boarder, not a tenant. So, in general, landlord-tenant laws do not apply. That said, if she chooses to file a claim in small claims court for unpaid expenses no one on this forum can tell you her chances of success. Only you can decide whether skipping out without paying your fair share is worth the risk/hassle.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:51 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Sounds like you could use "Judge Judy Sheindlin". But seriously - you are entitled to and deserve to get "child support" - go after it.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoasis30 View Post
Hello,

I live in Maryland and am pregnant with my first child. I entered into a verbal contract with my "landlord" who is my roommate about a year ago to pay a set amount of rent + utilities. She owns the place and had a lease drawn up, but never had me sign it. I moved from out of state, so I wanted to see the place before I committed to anything formally. Anyway, long story short..I moved in, she never had me sign anything. A few months ago she told me she forged my signature on a lease to prove to her mortgage company she had extra income so she could get refinanced. Shady, yes, but too late to do anything.

Now I come to my current problem. My "lease" is technically over this month. She never had me resign, but instead told me and multiple family members and friends that I could stay as long as I needed to. I was planning on moving back home after the baby and didn't want to get into a formal agreement with any leasing company. This past week she told me she changed her mind and wants me out because she feels with everything going on with the baby it will be too much for her and too expensive for her (i.e. my friends and family coming in town for support). Granted they will be in hotels, except for my best friend who will stay in my room, but I highly doubt she is going to rack up the water bill. I know it is her house, but I do pay half of all the bills. I understand verbal contracts are tough to prove in court. I don't want to stay where I am not wanted. But she has placed me in a very difficult position. I'm six and a half months pregnant..I can't physically move a lot things. I will have to hire movers, sign a lease, stay in this state longer possibly if I can't sublet and be out security deposit money I need for the baby (she never had me pay a security).

I plan on moving as soon as I find a new place that will take me. Point is, I can't afford to pay rent in two places for one month. Personally I don't want to give her a dime of my money for this upcoming month's rent. She pond scum in my eyes. I should be out of her place by the middle of the month. So can I get away with not paying her for half the month? I do not plan on giving notice because I can't. I have to move now. It's too dangerous for me to move as I get further along into my pregnancy. Do I have any rights as a tenant at all?

Any advice would be so helpful.

Thanks
I started out reading your post and feeling sorry for you until you started to come up with the sob story which we all have heard many times before....it is always the other who is at fault, although you admit being negletive for not signing the lease, but it never bothered you before only now it isn't in your best interest.
I can see where the owner of the house wants to avoid problems. You are knocked up by some one who isn't interested in you or your baby otherwise he would be there for you to help you move! Sorry I can't say it any other way! One night of fun can cost a lot!
On top of that the owner doesn't know how much she can trust you regarding who will stay at the house for the babies birth and who will walk in and out...it is her place and her right. She probable doesn't agree with your lifestyle and has the right to protect her self and her property from further issues, which in this case comes across heartless but maybe she is smart enough not to let it go any further and being in a place that she has to evict a baby as well.
Making a baby doesn't require much, but making the right decision requires a lot. How long after birth did you expect being able to move...that could take months and if your family will come over the babies birth, why can't they ehlp you move right now. It is probable even better for you as well so you can have your babies birth in all calm ness without the stress so it will work both ways. Stop calling her names or she can call you names as well...after all she had let you stay there for all this time and she never had to...this is just a business deal!
I hope you get a very healthy beautiful baby and I wish you all the best!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
You obviously did not read what I posted. Who kicks a pregnant girl out? Do you have no heart? It's not a matter of me being mad. Read before you post please.
You poor thing! What about all those family members and friends of yours that are coming into town to visit you for support... why don't you ask for help from them?

And why are you holding your landlord to a higher standard of behaviour than than sperm donor of your baby? You'd better be putting his name on the birth certificate and going after him for child support!

Otherwise, maybe this landlord doesn't want to deal with having a newborn baby in the house. You're not family to her and that's a lot of crying and smelly diapers to have to deal with. I know that I wouldn't want to have a roommate with a baby.

Another thought is that you still have the option of giving up your baby for adoption when it's born.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Dear OP,

You need to start thinking about your child and taking care of both yourself and that baby.

It sounds like your living situation is a "friends/roomates" thing gone awry. You have no written (legal) lease. You should honor your obligations; i.e. if you stay two more weeks, pay for those two weeks-nothing more nothing less. If she threatens any kind of legal action, just remind her that she ~did~ forge your name on a formal document. She doesn't sound like the kind of person who will follow through, so I think you are ok there.

Now, get on google or the yellow pages and look up "preganancy care center", or sometimes "abortion alternatives". Most communities have these groups. They are usually non-profits supported by right-to-lifers who help women in need who wish to continue their pregnancies. They can help line up housing and other financial help. They may also help you set in motion the collection of child support. If they do ~not~offer help with the legal system look under "legal aid" and make an appt. with one their pro-bono attorneys. You want to make sure that "daddy" is stepping up to the plate ASAP after the baby arrives.

I wouldn't worry too much about moving while pregnant. Trust me; it's much much easier to move while pregnant than it is with an infant (or a toddler! ). You may be feeling a bit tired and run-down now, but many (most?) women get a surge of amazing energy in the 3rd trimester.

Good luck.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
I have plenty of first hand witness testimony. My mother and father came down to visit and she told them in front of her aunt that I could stay for an indefinite length of time. She has also told a very good friend of mine the same thing. Like I said I do not want to stay where I am not wanted; I just don't want her to do anything else to me. I'm in a difficult position as it is; one that I hope no one else ever has to face.
Well, it sounds like you're adamant on staying...

Refuse to move unless the Sheriff comes and puts you out.

Personally, I would not want the added stress... but that's me

Only a general comment on Oral Rental Agreements. In some States, California as an example, Oral Rental Agreements are enforceable per statute IF the agreement is for less than 1 year... the problem is proving it and in your case that isn't a problem because you've got lots of witnesses and as long as they are willing to testify in court...

Good Luck on whatever you decide...

Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Stop stressing over this, don't let your hormones get the best of you, pack your stuff and move on. If you can't afford to pay her? Worst senario, she takes you to court, you wouldn't be the first. It's not like your going to be friends at this point, I'll bet you she already has a new tenant lined-up to move in. Best of Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting