U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
Is a 2 year lease legal in the state of North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,476 times
Hi maybe you can help me my landlord filed an summary of ejectment went to court he lost the part for an eviction but awarded the past due rent, my question is there was no ten day notice given when we went to court so that was thrown out also the judge said there was no proper clause, I received a letter head from him stating he wants money , and demanding possesion and rent the issue is there is no proper 10 day notice which the judge told him to get it is just a letterhead from him now my lease is ending he has not given me any notice .I do not know the laws well , but i have been told he has to file proper can you maybe help me now he says his filing for eviction but i do not understand what he is doing , THANK You ,Marie

Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Default help please need some answers thank you

Hi maybe you can help me my landlord filed an summary of ejectment went to court he lost the part for an eviction but awarded the past due rent, my question is there was no ten day notice given when we went to court so that was thrown out also the judge said there was no proper clause, I received a letter head from him stating he wants money , and demanding possesion and rent the issue is there is no proper 10 day notice which the judge told him to get it is just a letterhead from him now my lease is ending he has not given me any notice .I do not know the laws well , but i have been told he has to file proper can you maybe help me now he says his filing for eviction but i do not understand what he is doing , THANK You ,Marie

Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM

17,195 posts, read 21,839,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marascod View Post
went to court he lost the part for an eviction but awarded the past due rent,
the judge said there was no proper cause (for eviction up to this point)
The LL is entitled to receive the rent owed. The Judge agreed.
The landlord would ALSO like to regain possession and have you out (for not paying).

The LL is obliged to go about things in the correct way.
If he hasn't done that up to now... you can be sure he will do so soon.

1) pay what you owe
2) start looking for a new place

Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 PM

Yes i understand that , but what if there is no 10 day notice still how to go about doing it proper

Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 AM

21,642 posts, read 25,212,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marascod View Post
Yes i understand that , but what if there is no 10 day notice still how to go about doing it proper
What difference does it make? He wants you out and he'll get you out. If and when he files the 10 day notice then you won't have much time to move period, so start looking and move ... all this on your record isn't going to sit very well with any new landlord and you may have difficulty finding a place the longer you procrastinate.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
I had a mold issue in my house which was effecting me and my children i had to move out quickly my LL lives out of this state and has been told about the leak and the mold and has not did anything about it we couldnt live there anymore due to sickness from mold i was also living month to month can i get in trouble for that...moving so quickly without notice

Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,060 times
Is it legal for my roommate to sign his fathers name to my lease? He has done so he told me that his dad was by earlier and signed it, mind u this courtwas on April 1 and small claims court I am suing him and parenys. Well the parents didn't show they won't provide a physical address so i had to certify mail court pspers and as big as day it says court papers on it they refused it twice,and he lied on my probation officer which she will be at next hearing. No where in my lease does it say he is any acting agent nor does it say he can forge the lease he tried telling judge he got a notarized letter from his mom saying ot was ok for father to sign lease, this notary was done very recentlyso not beforehand. I opted to wait and have parents supeoned to cpurt. They know they are tryn to cover teir u know whats and he lied to 2 govt officials n npw the hudge but if u know anything about lease signing let me know asap. Thanks u

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,010 times
Default Lease in Fayetteville Nc

Hi Iam new at this so sorry if this is the wrong way. I live in Fayetteville Nc renting the same house for 5 years. My lease was up 08/17/2012 it is now 11/21/2012 and have not signed a new lease so our we month to month, cause we found a home and want to move is 30 days all we need to give the landlord? and does it have to be written or a phone call. we need to know cause we do not want to pay Feb rent we will be out at the end of Jan thanks

Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 AM

21,642 posts, read 25,212,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry007p View Post
Hi Iam new at this so sorry if this is the wrong way. I live in Fayetteville Nc renting the same house for 5 years. My lease was up 08/17/2012 it is now 11/21/2012 and have not signed a new lease so our we month to month, cause we found a home and want to move is 30 days all we need to give the landlord? and does it have to be written or a phone call. we need to know cause we do not want to pay Feb rent we will be out at the end of Jan thanks
As long as your lease didn't specify anything about automatic renewal, you're on a month to month. Different states have different rules where timing of notice is required on a month to month, so check NC landlord tenant laws which you'll find linked in the first "sticky" on this forum. You'll be in plenty of time and, yes, your notice should be in writing and preferably via return receipt certified mail.

While you're checking on your state laws, see also what it says about your security deposit so you know exactly what's expected of you where clean-up is concerned and what deductions can legally be made from your deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting