U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM

137 posts, read 448,256 times

Advertisements

Per my contact, I have to submit a notice two months in advance that when my lease ends I will not be renewing my lease. That's fine, but what do I need it to say? (I want it to be official and professional) Does anyone know if there is some type of template online for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 12,613,182 times
Just letting the management company know that you will not be renewing your lease on said premises, your name, apartment address, and date you will be vacating is all thats necessary. You don't have to be real formal.
The most important thing is to carry it in by hand and make sure you get a signiture plus date. keep a copy for yourself or send it certified mail. Tell them you'd like a move out inspection as well. Get that in writing, signed and dated also.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:48 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,617,702 times
I would hand deliver and send it certified mail, and make sure you keep a copy for your records as well.

Make sure the letter notes on the top above the date "Via Hand Delivery and Certified Mail".

Old 06-10-2009, 03:00 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,844,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry2 View Post
Per my contact, I have to submit a notice two months in advance that when my lease ends I will not be renewing my lease. That's fine, but what do I need it to say? (I want it to be official and professional) Does anyone know if there is some type of template online for this?
Don't know of a template but here is a guideline for you on what to say:

Date:_____________ <---------Date you are writing the notice

To: _____________ <---------Name and address of your landlord

Dear __________:
Pursuant to the terms of our lease for the property located at ______________, please be advised that we will be vacating the property as of ______________, 2009. Please advise at your earliest convenience the receipt of this notice.

Sincerely,

_________________ <----------- your name

This is just a guideline & hope it helps

Old 06-11-2009, 02:15 PM

15,704 posts, read 21,088,727 times
VA-Cat spelled it out, just have it send by certified mail and keep a copy for your self...If it isn't delivered keep the enveloppe closed as proof in case you need to go to court. You can also give notice by phone and/or by email, but the certified mail needs to be done, that is the proof you need!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:17 PM

761 posts, read 2,074,671 times
Like everyone else said, keep proof for yourself.. Just to be sure!

Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 PM

2,402 posts, read 2,329,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
VA-Cat spelled it out, just have it send by certified mail and keep a copy for your self...If it isn't delivered keep the enveloppe closed as proof in case you need to go to court. You can also give notice by phone and/or by email, but the certified mail needs to be done, that is the proof you need!
I agree with VA-Cat and Bentlebee...send your notice "certified mail/return receipt requested" (the landlord/management co. will sign your certified mail receipt, and it will be returned to you). Keep this receipt with a copy of your letter!

In your letter, I would also mention your security deposit, and give them an address where they can mail the check. My youngest son had to go to small claims court because his landlord didn't refund the security deposit...told the judge that he didn't know where my son had moved. Voila...exposed him as a liar because his signature was on the return receipt in OUR possession, and a forwarding address WAS part of the notice to vacate letter.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,300,516 times
We rent from a mangement company which actually put out a form, that has to be to them 30 days before the lease runs out. It spells it all out. The one we had that I just looked at has the address that you are going to. Which for them they can give themself 60 days to return the deposit

Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 AM

3,528 posts, read 5,844,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
In your letter, I would also mention your security deposit, and give them an address where they can mail the check. My youngest son had to go to small claims court because his landlord didn't refund the security deposit...told the judge that he didn't know where my son had moved. Voila...exposed him as a liar because his signature was on the return receipt in OUR possession, and a forwarding address WAS part of the notice to vacate letter.
Good point & one I missed. Always include the amount of the security deposit and your new address! If you don't have your new address at the time that you are giving notice, send a second letter (also certified/return receipt) as soon as you can with this information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting