U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,030 times
Default Question about month-to-month lease

Hi, I live in Lynnwood WA in an apartment complex, and I have a question. We are moving into a bigger place at the end of the month, and we just found out we were approved for it today, which is June 11. Our future landlord mentioned that we needed to turn in our notice today to meet the 20 day requirement for month-to-month renters. But when I went into the office and gave our notice, they said since there are 30 days in June, our notice was supposed to be turned in yesterday. We thought since it was the day that the 20 day notice starts, it would be OK, plus, we only found out today that we got the place. The manager is checking with her regional manager and trying to see if it is OK that we gave notice today. My question is, is there anything we can do, or are we going to be stuck paying rent twice next month?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 PM

13,787 posts, read 25,181,931 times
Doesn't sound right... a 30 day notice on a month to month rental means you pay for the next 30 days.

If the rental agreement permits a 20 days notice I would think you pay for the next 20 days...

If you missed it by one day you would owe rent for one additional day...

Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 AM

850 posts, read 2,765,485 times
What she's saying is a 20 day notice required. She wanted probably for the end of June, however, she was a day late in giving the notice b/c there are only 30 days this month and not 31.

As far as what you can do, at this point, it's up to the regional manager. You did give notice late, you're not disputing that. Doesn't really matter what your reasons are, rules are rules and the lease is the lease and there aren't typically exceptions made as it can be a Fair Housing issue. You may get lucky, but you may be stuck.

As far as how much more you owe, that's up to the company you rent from and their terms for month to month. Some management companies will let you just prorate one day, however, some don't prorate and you must stay (or pay) for an addditional month term. Either one is common and legal.

So let's just hope you have a sympathetic regional manager. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:27 AM

2,676 posts, read 5,956,617 times
I guess it can vary but most companies base rent pro-rations on a 30 day month no matter how many days are actually in a month just like title companies do. Keeps things much simpler.

To the OP, any chance you have your Lease or Tenant Handbook around? Might be a good idea to check and see what type of notice is required in your Lease.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM

13,787 posts, read 25,181,931 times
It must be different where you are... maybe someone can cite WA specifics?

California is very specific...

You can give the landlord notice any time during the rental period, but you must pay full rent during the period covered by the notice.

For example, say you have a month-to-month rental agreement, and pay rent on the first day of each month. You could give notice any time during the month (for example, on the tenth). Then, you could leave 30 days later (on the tenth of the following month, or earlier if you chose to). But you would have to pay rent for the first 10 days of the next month whether you stay for those 10 days or move earlier.

(Exception: You would not have to pay rent for the entire 10 days if you left earlier, and the landlord rented the unit to another tenant during the 10 days, and the new tenant paid rent for all or part of the 10 days.)

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs (http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/moving-out.shtml - broken link)

Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,496 times
My current lease expires on 3/31/12. I live in the state of NJ. I need assistance in writing a letter to management requesting a month to month lease to start on 4/1/2012, specifying in the letter that my reason for relocating is in search of a better school system for my HS-readied daughter. Thank you in advance for the help.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 AM

21,642 posts, read 25,242,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairshare2 View Post
My current lease expires on 3/31/12. I live in the state of NJ. I need assistance in writing a letter to management requesting a month to month lease to start on 4/1/2012, specifying in the letter that my reason for relocating is in search of a better school system for my HS-readied daughter. Thank you in advance for the help.
What does your lease say about renewals? In many cases a yearly lease automatically becomes a month to month when the initial term is over and you need to check the exact wording of yours.

In any event, a simple letter is all that's needed, i.e.

"I am seeking a better school for my daughter which will probably necessitate relocation. I would very much appreciate it if, once my lease ends on 3/31/12, I can go on a month to month basis. I very much hope that this is agreeable and look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Thank you so much."

Hope that helps. But check your lease first.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 AM

449 posts, read 891,706 times
You really need to watch the wording of the lease - we moved in on the 3rd and that's added another month to our 1 yr lease because it specifies 12 FULL months. The state law says the end of the 12th month unless the lease is different. I didn't notice till a few months after we moved in - first rental I've had that had "full month" written into it.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 AM

21,642 posts, read 25,242,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
You really need to watch the wording of the lease - we moved in on the 3rd and that's added another month to our 1 yr lease because it specifies 12 FULL months. The state law says the end of the 12th month unless the lease is different. I didn't notice till a few months after we moved in - first rental I've had that had "full month" written into it.
I think you may be inadvertently replying to the 2009 OP and not the poster who tagged onto it with a new question yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting