U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress4 View Post
I know this is so trivial compared to what so many have had to go through, but it's really eating at me, please tell me what you think.

I moved into a rental home and realized that it hadn't been cleaned (toilets, floors, inside of drawers etc.). It's new, so during the quick initial walk through, short of lifting toilet seats, etc. I didn't notice realize it. Most of the light bulbs were burned out and the air filters look like they'd never been changed (although the lease is sure to note that the tenant must replace them every 3 months). I wasn't happy to have to clean and unpack (especially clean after someone else) but not that big of a deal. So I wrote a note to the property management company letting them know, must have been an oversight.

They told me to buy and replace the bulbs and filters and deduct it from the rent (I would have to BUY a ladder too to reach most of them). And didn't even acknowledge that the unit hadn't been cleaned.

Am I just getting old, or are we just talking common courtesy/decency here? Am I just s.o.l. or should they have done all this before I moved in...or at least apologized and offer to send someone over to make good on it?

THANK YOU so much for any input!

Brenda
Wow...when I moved in here the unit was very clean though the walls needed painting badly and they need it even more badly now! Every light bulb worked and it is specified in my lease that I must not leave any burned-out bulbs in my wake. I am also required to change my AC filter once a month, and I actually do do this. I have a burned out can light in the kitchen that I have not replaced but I will replace it before I leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 PM

26 posts, read 42,492 times
Yes, all I expect to receive upon move-in is what I'm expected to leave upon move-out. That, to me, is fair. Otherwise, I'm replacing the last tenants filters/bulbs/cleaning their urine off the toilets and providing the next tenant with new bulbs, filters and urine free toilets....doesn't quite compute not to mention adds up, especially coming and going!

Thanks for all your input!

Old 06-19-2009, 05:47 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Yes, all I expect to receive upon move-in is what I'm expected to leave upon move-out. That, to me, is fair. Otherwise, I'm replacing the last tenants filters/bulbs/cleaning their urine off the toilets and providing the next tenant with new bulbs, filters and urine free toilets....doesn't quite compute not to mention adds up, especially coming and going!

Thanks for all your input!
That sounds like par for the course unfortunately; tenants like us who are courteous, pay our rent on time, do not damage properties, etc. seem to be the exception as far as this board is concerned.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:30 AM

4,264 posts, read 7,929,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That sounds like par for the course unfortunately; tenants like us who are courteous, pay our rent on time, do not damage properties, etc. seem to be the exception as far as this board is concerned.
We like you are courteous, pay our rent on time and don't damage the property as a matter of fact we try to leave it better than we found it, makes me sad to see how many bad tenants there are out there and I hope LL's won't judge all people by the bad ones. We once had a friend ask us why we were doing alot of work on the front yard since it wasn't our house, I told him maybe it was because we had pride in ourselves and although the house wasn't owned by us it was still "our home" and was a reflection of us.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:56 PM

1,715 posts, read 3,948,877 times
Quote:
I know this is so trivial compared to what so many have had to go through, but it's really eating at me, please tell me what you think.

I moved into a rental home and realized that it hadn't been cleaned (toilets, floors, inside of drawers etc.). It's new, so during the quick initial walk through, short of lifting toilet seats, etc. I didn't notice realize it. Most of the light bulbs were burned out and the air filters look like they'd never been changed (although the lease is sure to note that the tenant must replace them every 3 months). I wasn't happy to have to clean and unpack (especially clean after someone else) but not that big of a deal. So I wrote a note to the property management company letting them know, must have been an oversight.

They told me to buy and replace the bulbs and filters and deduct it from the rent (I would have to BUY a ladder too to reach most of them). And didn't even acknowledge that the unit hadn't been cleaned.

Am I just getting old, or are we just talking common courtesy/decency here? Am I just s.o.l. or should they have done all this before I moved in...or at least apologized and offer to send someone over to make good on it?

THANK YOU so much for any input!

Brenda

Simple speaking as a landlord everything should be clean and working A landlord that would say buy them and take it off your rent does not know what they are doing. If you do the work and get hurt is he going to pay the doctor bill and time off work? Is he going to pay you for your time, gas, mileage?

It is our job to do it not the tenants.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,438 times
so if I did a walk thru today and the place was NOTHING close to cleaned as I expected, toilet paper holders broken, an actual BURN all the way thru the counter top and what looked like tar or black paint on light switches, filthy air vents...I should request these things be repaired or cleaned before signing lease or they can give me deposit back and I should rent from another agency? Just curious as to what they will take responsibility for since I obviously assumed this would not have been an issue....any advice?

Old 09-24-2012, 12:20 AM

25,800 posts, read 49,685,561 times
Your power diminishes as soon as the lease is signed and money is exchanged.

If the items are a deal breaker... so be it.

If the items are smothering you are willing to take of then go ahead and note the deficiencies on the rental agreement with a time for completion.

Much easier to avoid problems ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or