U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:17 AM

5 posts, read 17,911 times
Default What can i do? New floors and new neighbors upstairs. very loud

i have lived in my apartment for ten years and never had a problem with sound, except for one year when a family lived upstairs and their three children ran jumped through the length of the apartment. Other than that, i never had a sound issue. New management took over last year and they gutted the apartment upstairs. I asked about the floors and they assured me that the new floors would be insulated and quiet. Of course, they used cheap flooring, now i hear every step, every drawer closing, what i take to be shoes hitting the floor, well, everything. I am awakened at 6:30 each morning and i work in a restaurant at nights. you can imagine my frustration. I have spoken to the tenants twice and the first time they agreed to not wear shoes. The second time we discussed their getting carpet and they agreed but, then again, the guy I spoke to the first time was again wearing shoes. . I emailed management and made them aware of the issue. they confirmed receipt but nothing else. Nothing has changed in terms of sound. My plan is to give it another week and then offer to share the cost of carpet in their apartment.
But someone told me management is responsible for this issue...Anyone have experience with this? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:41 AM

197 posts, read 547,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malawa View Post
. I have spoken to the tenants twice and the first time they agreed to not wear shoes. The second time we discussed their getting carpet and they agreed but, then again, the guy I spoke to the first time was again wearing shoes. . I emailed management and made them aware of the issue. they confirmed receipt but nothing else. Nothing has changed in terms of sound.
LOL you got to be kidding you asked me not to wear shoes in their own apartment?? Consider yourself lucky you weren't attacked for asking something that crazy. I have dealt with plenty of loud obnoxious neighbors. Part of living in apartments. How about you by some earplugs to use when you sleep. Or just move out. When I lived in Bushwick I had neighbors sit on my stoop geting drunk till 5 in the morning on weekday nights. I had to move. I was not going to ask them to be quiet because it was not worth getting shot over. Trust me if anyone lived on Central Ave in 2007 and saw these guys you would do the same.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 AM

304 posts, read 799,642 times
I definitely sympathize -- but it's unreasonable to ask people to go shoeless.
I suggest that you go to
TenantNet :: Index
(which is an intensive tenant-problem site) and either post your problem or search the archives for "noise" and see how other NYC tenants have handled it.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:30 AM

11,996 posts, read 11,887,611 times
I would not have approached the neighbor. They're not responsible for the flooring management installed and shouldn't be asked or expected to remove their shoes. Maybe they don't want carpeting on there floor, then what?
Rather than fighting this situation, you do have other options, I'd begin looking for another apartment, or try to get moved to something on a top floor.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 34,155 times
I can't see it being their fault. Sounds like normal activities[opening/closing drawers, walking] vs [parties with loud music/arguing nonstop].

If management does not care to fix it your only option maybe to move. Unless there is some rule somewhere saying they must address it.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:40 PM

2,072 posts, read 8,133,072 times
Some people are more noise sentitive than others. That's part of apartment living. If there's hardwood floors in the upper unit, there's a reason for it. I don't think it's the manager's responsibility to insulate the place to your satisfaction. Also, remember people work different hours, and some are heavier walkers than others.

As far as you asking them to not wear shoes ........... I'm not even going to comment on that.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM

901 posts, read 1,766,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I would not have approached the neighbor. They're not responsible for the flooring management installed and shouldn't be asked or expected to remove their shoes. Maybe they don't want carpeting on there floor, then what?
Rather than fighting this situation, you do have other options, I'd begin looking for another apartment, or try to get moved to something on a top floor.
Many leases require a certain amount of the floor to be covered with carpeting or rugs. This will reduce the level of noise that is made when walking. OP, see if your lease states anything about carpeting.

My apartment has wood floors. I can hear my neighbor walking but most of the time it does not bother me. I sleep with a noise machine and sometimes I use earplugs.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:17 PM

5,277 posts, read 9,954,545 times
Unfortunately, "normal" living noise is just something you have to put up with in apartment living. You have been fortunate to have had 9 years out of 10 of quiet neighbors.

Unless your neighbors are being "illegally" loud, that is, louder than city or state code permits, or louder than the lease permits, or are being overly loud at odd hours of the night, you can't do anything about it.

You can't ask people not to live their lives in a normal fashion. Getting up for work or school at 6:30 in the morning and walking around their apartment getting ready, opening and closing drawers, flushing toilets, showers running, etc are normal noise at a normal time of day.

If you want to continue your complaint, it needs to be with management. Leave your poor neighbors to live in peace. Asking them to put down carpet or to walk around shoeless? Thats crossing the line, in my book.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,465,227 times
We have a teenager who plays guitar at 7 am. My husband works nights and gets on average 5 hours of sleep a night. He has to go on the sofa which means disrupting the rest of us.

We cannot speak with the people above as others have suggested. They are not *too bright* and we have complained 2 times to management. The second time the management was hostile and combative to my husband.

Now the kid sings at 7 am instead of playing the guitar (sometimes both). He does it just long enough to wake up my husband.

Renting is one big headache...I wish I had the $$$ for a house. We'd be out of rental places in .5 seconds.

Management will only do so much. They are useless...

We easily tolerate opened drawers, cabinets, stomping, flushing...but guitar and screeching at 7 am is not something 'that can be ignored.'

I would love to hear from people who think 'their way' is more important than others...(doing what they want despite how it upsets their neighbors). How do you justify it?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:02 AM

1,749 posts, read 4,273,861 times
It seems to me that the fact that the OP has lived there for 10 years without a problem, and that the apartment was remodeled and that's when the noise issue started, seems to indicate that it's not the neighbors but instead is the new floors. This means it's a management problem. I would bring it up with them. As Sam82 suggests, check the lease to see if it requires that the floors be covered.

As an aside, this is not a problem specific to renters. I own and live in an end-of-group rowhouse, and the house on the attached side was recently sold and is being used as a rental. So far, 3 different families have lived there, and some of the tenants have been great, some not-so-great. The most recent tenants are very quiet, but they brought a roach infestation with them, which has caused me to have to pay an exterminator over $500 a year to keep them out of my house. A previous family was clean, but very noisy - playing loud music at all hours. I would love to be able to buy a small single family one level ranch house on a quarter acre. Maybe one day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting