Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times

Advertisements

You should turn that over to your States Attorney General. The office will alert others of a possible scam and possibly turn this over to the authorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:09 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
I have seen that same tactic used for selling cars online. They take a perfectly legitimate ad that ran previously, pictures included, change the contact information, cut the price in half and wait for the suckers to send money

Old 06-20-2009, 02:52 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
This is similar to if you are looking for a puppy... they are all missionaries and live either in Nigeria or some place else....scam, scam, scam!

Even worse is when they use a perfectly honest add like they did in my case. I wasn't aware of it...They used my add (I have no clue how they did it), copied it but lef my email and phone # out. Used all my pictures, street address of the rental property but they posted it for a way lower price to get a huge email traffic and they succeeded. I started to receive some calls since my original and real add was still on Craigslist. People stated they had received a similar email and that the owner lived abroad and they needed to fill out a similar form...bank acc.#, soc. sec. # and pay upfront to get the keys...
I could have written this. We had exactly the same thing happen to us. Also got phone calls from people to see what's up. In our case, we actually emailed the address pretending to be interested and got a response back saying they were just a "hook-up" company, and were not the owner or the landlord. Had a disclaimer about 2 pages long. Interesting twist

Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,835 times
Anything on craigs list = fishy; lots of scammers, con artist, thiefs etc... If you want to find a home for rent look on the local MLS or find a realtor; they will be able to show you all the listings available to you that will meet your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting