Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,685 times

Advertisements

We just signed a lease on a horse farm. The lease is dated to start July 1, 2009, however, the landlord has moved the majority of their property out and said that we can move in early. As they still have some things there,I expect them to be coming and going, not a problem.

Well, here is the problem. The last time they were there, they left the doors unlocked - they never locked the doors when the lived there, we have chosen to lock them and expect them to be locked. What can I do about that?

The biggest problem is that the daughter still has some horses on the property, she was not living in the house. She stoped over to see her horses, that's fine, but then she went into the house and tracked dirt in and made a mess in the bathroom. She never asked to enter the home. I fee like I'm in limbo as the lease doesn't start until 7/1, but the landlord told us to move in early. The daughter can be explosive and there has already been multiple head aches. I know with time it will all settle down. Her horses will be leaving (but not soon enough) and our landlords will be 2 hours away, so their visits will be limited.

I guess my question is, what rights do I have between now and the first? Would I be smarter to just stay away until the first and let everyone do whatever? I've been a cleaning fool and don't want my hard work undone, but I'd rather have to re-clean that have hurt feelings.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I'd say don't move in until the 1st, just to avoid not only hurt feelings on the part of the daughter but also aggravation yourself. Or start cleaning this coming weekend, and lock the doors when you're not there. (Did the daughter let herself in with a key? Did she use your linens to clean herself up when she made a mess?)

Old 06-24-2009, 03:09 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Yes I dont think you should move in untill the first . when I did move in on the first I would make it very clear with the landlord that his daughter will need to make other arrangements for the horses because for as long as you rent, it is your property not theirs and they cannot use it as such . I would make sure that I locked the property good and tight and tell the neighbors that no one is to be around while you are not there . I would also let the landlord know that if his daughter wants to come around she will have to do it while you are there. If he does not like this then you have cause to break the lease and rent somewhere else and he will have to refund your money . I would not move in early at all. You should get all this straight before you move in . good luck to you .

Old 06-24-2009, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,685 times
I was there, so I had the doors open when the daughter came in. She didn't use my linens, I probably really would have lost my cool if she did. We are changing the locks and sending a key to mom and dad after the first, just incase darling daughter has a key. She also let her dog in the house with her. Our lease says no pets, I have allergies. I choose to suffer out at the barn, but will not suffer from someone else's dog in my house

Do I have any rights during this period of limbo? We were told go ahead, move in. Once our stuff is there and we are sleeping there neither daughter nor her dog are welcomed into our home. The few things the landlord has left have been moved to the garage, so they can come and go without bothering us.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Do not move in until the first. Plain and simple. These people either do not know what it means to move in early, or they don't care. Also. your not paying rent until the first. Move in the first, change the locks and stop worrying about it.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:31 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,194 times
Until all their items are removed they will view it as their home regardless of what date the lease starts. Once you are the tenants you have some rights to private property I would assume.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
I'd start moving my things and maybe clean something else or set up maybe the kitchen, which is probably empty.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:28 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,012 times
Do NOT move until the first. What a legal mess should something happen. It's not legally your property until then, so you have no rights. While everything "could" be fine, you just don't need to take the chance and get screwed. The landlord must not be too bright either b/c you should never have someone move into your property before the actual lease starts. That's a big no no and a huge liability.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:06 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
If she shouldn't move in until the first, then why does she have the keys, and why did the Landlord tell her she could start moving her things in?

I agree, I would have waited until the first, based on what I know as a renter and working in the rental industry.

Obviously this is not an apartment complex, everything doesn't have to be done by the book. The LL owns the property and can bend the rules the way he/she wants. There's alot left unsaid here. Did the Landlord plan on charging a prorated amount for the move in before the first. If thats the case, then the daughter shouldn't have been in the apartment.

After the first time the girl came in and washed her hands, I would have spoke to the Landlord and gotten it straightened out imediately, if not in person then over the phone.

Last edited by virgode; 06-28-2009 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 06-28-2009, 04:42 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
The LL owns the property and can bend the rules the way he/she wants.
The landlord owns the property and can bend the rules the way he/she wants, but that doesn't change the law. The law states that there is no contract for the OP to be the resident of the premises until the first. Plain and simple. Should anything occur, theft, damages, etc, it would be a total mess for both the LL and the OP. It's not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting