U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:12 PM

850 posts, read 4,144,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inways View Post
However, what made me angry was that the leasing agent did not inform me of any other options i could have. She never asked me if i had other legal documents which can prove that I am a good renter. She kept me in the darkness, and 1410 dollars is not a small number for a student.

Third, as i said, i would be back home when the lease is up. According to the contract, they will mail me my security deposit refund(less lawful deductions) and an itemized accounting of any deductions no later 30 days to the forwarding address. If i disagree with deductions made from my security deposit, it seems that i don't have any options, whether discuss or complain, not to mention file a lawsuit. Additionally, I am not sure if i will be able to cash a check from America in my home city. I have to do a lot of counselling in Chase bank.

What happened so far was that the leasing agent said she would ask her boss if the deposit can be deducted from the rent of the last two months. In my guts, i don't think it would happen.

Like Lacerta suggested, asking the landlord to do a walkthrough with me during the last few days i will be living there and refunding the bulk of the deposit at that time is in my best interest. I would try to do it in a proper manner.

Again, thank you all!!!
As far as the leasing agent not asking you about rental documentation, don't be mad at them, it's not their fault and most would probably do the same thing. The thing with your situation is you're only here temporarily. You've admitted you're heading right back to your country when your lease is up. So from a landlord's perspective, it would be impossible to collect anything from you once you move. So they need to make sure their deposit is hefty enough to cover rent or damages should their be any. You may know you're a trustworthy person, but they don't know you and have to treat everyone the same. I would always collect at least a full month's deposit from someone from out of the country. If I knew they were planning on returning to their country at lease end, I would require 2 as well. As far as the other student not having to pay that, again, you don't know his situation, plus incentives he got or negotiating he may have done.

It's not the property's fault that you're returning to your country at lease end. They have to do the same thing for everyone. If you can't fight deductions or cash your check, that's quite frankly not their problem. That's just a risk you take, it's your responsibility to make sure you can take care of your business. And don't count on them letting you use your deposit for your last 2 month's rent. That never happens b/c it would be difficult to collect on you if you made any damages when you moved out. Throw in the fact that you're leaving the country and makes it a no-brainer.

Do you live in a large apartment community? It sounds like you do. If so, they're not going to be able to refund your deposit to you right then and there at your walk through. Properties don't keep money on hand nor do they have access to their bank accounts. That's all done on a corporate level. So what will happen when you move out is the property will do a walk through, sign off on the apartment, assign any charges if applicable and send your move out statement to their corporate office. The corporate office will then issue a check and mail it to you for the amount of your deposit that you are due. The entire process takes about 30 days.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but just letting you know realisiticly how it works here and what you should expect. Your landlord is doing nothing wrong whatsoever. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 PM

15,709 posts, read 22,756,161 times
inways,

I know you are feeling discriminated against, bc of the large difference between the security deposits. The laws in the state of Texas have made it legal to do business this way, so now you know for the future should you come back to the US to continue your education, what that particular states security deposit laws will be. Plus you'll have some good rental history, but I wouldn't set my hopes to high on a refund of security deposit money, right now. If they have violated some type of law possibly they'll apply it to the rent, who knows??

I'd do some inquiry about how your going to cash the security deposit check when you return home. Talk to whomever you deal with at Chase bank, they may be able to answer the question. If you can't cash the check you may be able to deposit it into an account until it clears.

Make sure do your walk-thru when you leave. I get feeling you think they may be dishonest with you about how much of the security deposit will be returned, bc you'll be out of the country at that point. The more informed they think you are about your rights, the less likely they will be to take advantage of you. There already aware you have some knowledge bc you questioned the security deposit money. I will DM you with any other info I may have. Again, Best of Luck with your education.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 PM

25,801 posts, read 49,685,561 times
I've sent checks drawn on US Banks to people in Europe on occasion and they never had a problem cashing them... the fees varied depending on whether their account was private or business.

I've rent items in Germany and always received my deposit back in Marks and now Euros

Some Campus Student Housing accepts credit cards for rent and deposits... this would make it much easier because any refund could be credited to your credit card...

Don't forget to leave a valid overseas address and realize the Apartment Management will also incur additional fees to mail a check internationally and may even have to send it Registered.

Do know what to say about the Deposit... you must have agreed to it at some point? Perhaps and error was made on your friends and now every other Student will have to pay much more because it has become a problem.

You can always contest the amount returned via a letter...

I'm thinking it will turn out OK for you and I hope it does...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or