U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 03:11 AM

64,510 posts, read 66,075,955 times

Advertisements

signed a new lease friday in queens ny. 3% increase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,872,263 times
IMO Rent should not increase. Why increase a good paying tenant's rent $20 and risk them moving? Then you are left to find someone else to occupy and hope they pay on time and are good tenants. Each time I have been up for lease renewal I bring this point up. I even had one apartment Manager tell me "it's only $20." In which I replied if it's only $20 then it should be no big deal for a company of your size to keep my rent the same.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:44 AM

64,510 posts, read 66,075,955 times
for the same reason you want a raise at work, your a good employee , why should you want more? its not like 20 bucks a week will let you buy a ferrari . just be happy you work for a company you like...

get the point?

Old 05-05-2010, 12:49 AM

9,596 posts, read 17,698,995 times
Im under rent control & my rent increase is based on the cpi (consumer price index). According the the us govt we are getting out of a recession. Thats why my rent increase this yr was alot higher then last yr. Rent control is a way for the cities to make money. Never believe what the city says.....never.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:58 AM

25,334 posts, read 37,463,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Our increase amounts to $120.00/month. That's almost $1500 more for the year! There are plenty of houses in the near area that are renting for less than what we currently pay, before the increase....so we are looking.
Good for you! it works both ways and that is so great about Capitalism...free markets...

If there is a lot for rent, that means lower rental prices, if there are hardly any rentals (as where my rentals are) it means you can ask higher rental amounts...if a LL is unreasonable it will mean that he won't be able to rent it out and the price will go down

Old 05-11-2010, 02:14 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,872,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for the same reason you want a raise at work, your a good employee , why should you want more? its not like 20 bucks a week will let you buy a ferrari . just be happy you work for a company you like...

get the point?
The condition of the apartment, both appearance and functionality get worse the longer you live there in most cases. Most complexes use cheap carpet, watered down paint, band-aid fixes and then I am supposed to pay more for an apartment that is deteriorating. It's a good thing I can pick or choose where I want to live and I don't have to be stuck like a bad job where I get a crappy raise each year.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Some landlords sure are greedy.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,858,836 times
Rent increased based on many things.... Tax increases on property values is primary. If the landlord pays any utilities - those always go up every year. Repair issues (landlord knowing they will need to put a new roof on in a few years). Tax issues (for manageent companies).

Complexes are usually run by a management company - which has overhead - they have to cover the increase in the taxes the pay, the salaries they pay (including raises), utiliites, maintenance, etc.... Trust me - they will get theirs in one way or another - and they will make sure they turn a profit

Old 05-13-2010, 09:21 AM

The bottom line is if you want to roof over your head its going to cost you. Nothing is for free in this world even though i feel the basic needs should be free such as food, shelter & utilities. Its amazing how the damn utility companies (water, sewer, trash, gas & electricity) screw us big time. When there time comes they will answer for their greedyness. That also includes politicians, dmv & all those other greedy dirty rat bastards.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 AM

3,803 posts, read 4,803,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The bottom line is if you want to roof over your head its going to cost you. Nothing is for free in this world even though i feel the basic needs should be free such as food, shelter & utilities. Its amazing how the damn utility companies (water, sewer, trash, gas & electricity) screw us big time. When there time comes they will answer for their greedyness. That also includes politicians, dmv & all those other greedy dirty rat bastards.

not able to rep you but you sure r right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or