U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 03:55 PM

142 posts, read 171,197 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have lived in my current apartment complex just over 5 years. I'm limited income from a disability and on section 8. Recently I re-certified, but the apartment management has taken four months, and I still have no lease. Things have been fine otherwise. I've been a decent tenant or I'm sure they wouldn't have let me stay this long. Also, it seems a lot of others are suddenly having the same problem getting the paperwork done. Isn't it common in Tennessee to have a lease when renting an apartment? Anyhow, I've given more than a six month notice that I will be moving...after all, I have no physical lease. My question is, what would you do in this situation? I've asked many, many times about the paperwork. I've always paid rent on time, have had renter's insurance from the beginning, but the management in the front office has changed so many times that I doubt they even recognize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 PM

144 posts, read 408,494 times
You're probably on a month to month tenancy based upon your last lease. Look at your last lease and see what it says. It should spell out your status after the expiration of your lease.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Thanks, I looked it and the things is, there's a different company running this place. It does say that the term of the lease will continue for 1 year, unless the tenant doesn't comply with the said terms of lease buy renewing. But as of yet, I haven't been able to renew! Should I assume the lease for the last company as the same as the new one? Plus, the last person who worked here said that if I was month to month, they would be charging me $100 more each month. So I figured that I must not be month to month by what she said. I'm sorry. I don't get any of this very well. I've rented from other places and never anything like this this happen before.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 10,973,186 times
I would talk to your Section 8 person about this They may well have requirements about leases etc. Sounds like some pretty loosey-goosey management there. At the very least, I would write down that you had tried several times to "renew" your lease (try to remember dates and names), make 2 copies and have management sign both, putting one in your file and you keep the other one. Then, you're covered w/ Section 8 should some problem arise in that department.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:37 AM

Thanks, KonaKat. Good idea. Things have been very messed up in the past two years that I've been here. Management has changed at least six times. The tenants they're getting in here have also gotten worse. I've had enough and will be moving by next March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or