U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 AM

64,589 posts, read 66,129,695 times

Advertisements

we started just having an issue 2x this week in the underground garage with vandals keying cars ..... the garage requires a key to access so its only accesable by residents.... that dosnt mean its not from within but im wondering if this keeps up since we do have 24 hour security in a booth outside in the front can we pressure the landlord to install cameras to be monitored,..... my gut feeling is along as the landlord has doors and windows locked hes done whats expected of a landlord..... no where does it say our cars will be safe, only we have a spot to park.... yes it may be more secure than street but it offers no security claim about the cars.

im feeling if this keeps up there isnt a whole lot we can get the landlord to do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 07:59 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
if you pay to park there is a liability issue for the garage owner.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:40 AM

850 posts, read 4,145,956 times
You're right, there isn't much you can do. Landlords are never responsible for the safety and security of their residents or their property. Having a key access and 24 hour security booth are fantastic measures they've decided to take on their own, so you should be thankful for that. You could try to pressure them if you want for cameras, but it likely won't get you very far. Plus, if they do put them in, that extra expense would have to be made up for elsewhere, so you'd likely see that hit via your rent.

The bottom line is crime happens everywhere. It's always upsetting when it happens close to home. Unfortunately, multifamily environments are always a target because of the number of people/vehicles a thief can hit at one time. I think your landlord is doing a great job on their end.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:05 PM

i finally got to ask my son the attorney about it and he said that garage spot leases only provide you with a spot, they make no claim to security... it could be safer then street parking but maybe not...its just a spot to put your car.... he also said if he was advising them he would tell them do nothing more then you are doing as you dont want it construed that you are taking on the responsibility of security because of the events. they can ask the regular security guys we have to give some exra attention to the garages but pretty much not much more...... later on if things calm down they can add video cameras but as a capital improvement and selling point and not as a job of taking on security for the garage....

Old 07-11-2009, 12:07 PM

Your son gave great advice!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:08 PM

i hate to admit it but hes actually getting smarter than me ha ha ha

Old 07-11-2009, 12:12 PM

well next plan is i will install a proximity alarm on the car with pager but run it with the alarm off and pager on. .... i will make an attempt to see who is doing it..... hopefully just someone seeing them will scare them permanently and if not they can meet mr louieville slugger

the aggrevating thing is the car is 4 weeks old.. they got 13 cars and most are pretty new

Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 PM

13 new cars...it's a thieves playground! No wonder you're having issues!

Good luck to you....and to whoever finds the other end of your louisville slugger!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:22 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,957,081 times
My guess is that it's not thieves but rather kids, probably kids who live in your building.

If you have Internet access in the garage, set up a motion sensitive wireless web cam in your car. Set it to send you an e-mail with a 15 second clip anytime new motion happens around you car (they don't even need to touch it, the camera senses motion in the air)

Not only will you probably be able to catch them in the act, but you'll also ahve evidence to take to court when the police prosecute them for vandalism and you sue their parents for the cost of repairs in small claims court!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:39 AM

hmmmmmmm i like that...only problem is at night when we are sleeping the damage will be done...non the less i like this idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or