U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2009, 08:07 AM

98 posts, read 311,703 times

Advertisements

I have been enduring a new neighbor that moved in an upstairs unit from mine since May of 09. Of course I hear all the natural living noises walking, dropping things etc which do not bother me at all. I just equate those to poor building structure and just move on with things. However this person has had the freedom to make excessive noise with their stereo at all odd times of morning. It's usually excessive from around 1 am upwards to 3 or 4 in the morning. It's the constant bass that thumps into my unit that is just downright obnoxious and annoying coupled with also loud guests. I looked over my lease and one of the agreements is that tenants will not make excessive noise via t.v, musical instruments and especially stereos between the hours of 11 p.m - 8 a.m. I also hear music like this at times outside this time period but never really make a big deal out of it. I am just annoyed they do it so late. I never run into this people at a decent hour to discuss the matter with them as our schedules are different but should I just continue to see if I can catch them to speak to them or at this point just directly go to management? I have no idea how management would enforce this issue anyway despite having it written in this lease. At this point I would love to just move to another unit if this can't be dealt with as I feel I am back living in a college dorm.

Last edited by amillion3147; 07-15-2009 at 08:19 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM

22,136 posts, read 26,279,267 times
You could leave a nice letter under their door if you can't catch them in person, maybe ask them for coffee to talk about it. As much as so many posters seem to immediately jump in with, 'CALL THE POLICE!" I always advocate the pleasant approach first as they may not even be aware that their stereo is bothering you.

Second step would be to approach management, and not a bad idea if you could somehow record the noise. If you have an on-site maintenance or supervisory person, make arrangements for him/her to come up when the noise is bad.

If management does nothing and all else fails, start calling the police but ONLY as a very last resort. Your neighbors probably work in the restaurant business or somewhere else where their hours run late and just don't know how loud they are. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 AM

12,024 posts, read 12,381,399 times
Personally, approaching the neighbor wouldn't be on my list
of options, that could get ugly, some ppl will do anything for spite.

911, would be at the top of my list, when you make the report
tell them not to come to your apartment to speak to you, they'll understand why.

Any good mangement company hates to hear about reports to
their complex or buildings. You have to keep making police reports
and contacting the property manager to make them aware of the
problem until it stops. As your already know, it's a violation of the
lease, the tenant will be sent violation letters, the end result of
non-compliance is eviction.

Last edited by virgode; 07-15-2009 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-15-2009, 04:04 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,168,852 times
I would leave a note to the person first just stating how loud it is and the quiet hours of the building. Say in the note you thought you should let them know before someone complains to managment and gets them kicked out. If you can hear it, someone else can too.

Sometimes nothing works except an eviction.

If they keep it up after the note the call to the LL. And if it keeps up after that then you have to call the police to witness the noise so the LL can kick them out.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 PM

98 posts, read 311,703 times
Thanks all. I am heeding the advice here. I just wasn't sure how to go about it. This is the first apartment I have lived in quite some time.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:50 PM

1,313 posts, read 2,043,626 times
I would just report it to management. They are in clear violation of the lease and it's not your job to enforce it by knocking on their door in the middle of the night with the possibility of a confrontation.

I had a similar issue in my last apt. The people next door would leave their tv/stereo BLASTING at 2am. I tried to be neighborly and would knock on the door to ask them to turn the tv down, but the stupid lady would give me the same excuse every time that she fell asleep with the tv on. I then went to management and found out there had been multiple complaints against these people. The people only got worse and would scream and holler at all hours. Management ended up evicting them. I never involved the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting