Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:52 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I refused to believe that if a person who is complaining is paying rent on time.
Well, it is the truth that you are refusing to believe. And yes, I always pay on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Well, it is the truth that you are refusing to believe. And yes, I always pay on time.

So are you saying most landlords don't take noise compliants seriously?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 AM

I am saying that the landlords that I have complained to (back when I was naive enough to think they would do something about it) did not care. At all. Neither did the cops. The complaints actually escalated the noise.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 AM
FBJ

Quote:
I am saying that the landlords that I have complained to (back when I was naive enough to think they would do something about it) did not care. At all. Neither did the cops. The complaints actually escalated the noise.
I'm surprised to hear that a landlord would not take a compliant like this seriously

Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Well, the noisy people were paying their rent too I assume, so it doesn't really surprise me. What surprised me was that the cops didn't care. After we called the cops on them for playing their stereo loud enough to hear it in the parking lot at 3 am, they began to call the cops on us in the middle of the day for "walking too loud". Seriously. Our vehicles were also vandalized with rotten chicken. Of course we couldn't prove that it was them, but I am fairly certain that it was.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Well, the noisy people were paying their rent too I assume, so it doesn't really surprise me. What surprised me was that the cops didn't care. After we called the cops on them for playing their stereo loud enough to hear it in the parking lot at 3 am, they began to call the cops on us in the middle of the day for "walking too loud". Seriously. Our vehicles were also vandalized with rotten chicken. Of course we couldn't prove that it was them, but I am fairly certain that it was.

Well that's when CRIME starts to happen because people would take things into their own hands

Old 08-05-2009, 04:26 PM

98 posts, read 618,885 times
Well my solution to my problem is to never live in an apartment again. Not sure what possessed me to this time as I was renting a very quiet condo for the last two years. I should have stayed there even though the commute was longer for work. Problem to be solved in 7 months

Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 PM

36 posts, read 235,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxNYC81 View Post
I am NOT a child hater! I DO hate when children are out of control! I DO hate that at midnight those children are playing video games and jumping up and down on the floor! I DO hate that as I'm typing this right now 9:06 PM EST, they are BLASTING reggae music and my room is shaking from a combination of their music and dancing!

Child hater....you're crazy.
You might want to check on you states noise ordinance. Also ask your landlord when Quiet time starts, if it starts at 9pm then blasting their noise loud like that is grounds for eviction. Thats allready excessive noise and you "can" call the police, but if its before your apartments and the states "quiet time" they might not be able to do anything about it.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 13,160 times
Noisy obnoxious childish neighbors come in all shapes and sizes here in Brooklyn, and the reaction you will get will also vary. I live now in Bushwick above a bunch of young black kids that play rap music with the bass really loud. I asked the guy really nicely one day to just pull his speaker away from the wall and he just as nicely did exactly that. They actually turn it down a bit at night now too. I was surprised that they were cool about it after having experience with loud neighbors in my old neighborhood...I had people move in above me in Bed-Stuy, standard suburban transplants, I helped them get settled in, one was a doctor, they seemed friendly. Guess what?, constant fighting in the middle of the night, constantly slamming and throwing heavy objects at each other, slamming doors, etc. I spoke to them very nicely several times. This only served to escalate the noise to the point where they would slam heavy objects on the floor in the middle of the night on purpose. To my face they were nice, but every time I tried to talk to them, that night I could expect extra banging and screaming at 3am. I spoke with the landlord, in detail, to no avail. He actually said to me "well she is a doctor and works late shift" like that justified her coming home and screaming at her unemployed pothead loser brother in the middle of the night and said loser screaming at and hitting his unemployed manic girlfriend who would then throw things on the floor. All day and night when I was home there was noise, then I guess they all slept when I was at work, cause they must have slept at some time, right? It was like living in a freaking mental hospital. I eventually moved out because I was actually losing weight as a result of the stress associated with not being able to get more than 3 hours sleep at a time. Now I realize that what I should have done was repeatedly called 311, and withheld rent until the landlord took me to court. You have a right (especially in these days of insanely high rent) to 'quiet enjoyment of your apartment'. You need to document the noise, witnesses, 311 complaints, tape it, whatever. Some people get off on the power of making other people miserable. And then sometimes, they will be reasonable....so you owe anyone the benefit of doubt first, try the nice route, but quickly get nasty if they don't care, cause it will solve the problem quicker and you will have less time suffering...Right now I am home sick and hating my neighbors behind me who have their bass up so loud that my WINDOWS ARE SHAKING...Why the hell are the people that live right next to them not over there right now beating them to death for making their kids deaf? I called 311 hours ago...Brooklyn is a toilet, that is a fact and this is due to the fact that the 99% of people that are normal and sane don't check the ones that cause misery...Everyone complains, but no one does anything...why should I have to wear earplugs in my own home, and have to constantly play white noise because some losers are so drunk that they can't hear their own stereo anymore...the cops could care a less too...I know from experience that this will go on all night...and I also know that there are little kids who are being kept awake, people who have to work when this goes on on weekday nights, people who actually have JOBS, etc etc. I am having fantasies of barging into their house with a fire hose and spraying all their stereo equipment...everyone likes a party, but is it necessary to be so fing LOUD while you're having fun??? arrrrghhhhhhhhh

Last edited by crankyanddeaf; 08-15-2009 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-03-2009, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 55,124 times
I am a tenant....I have a couple above me that is up till 4:30 am every night....the ceiling cracks like thunder when they walk.....the guy below me talks at the top of his voice on his cell phone till 1:30 am....the 3 tenants beside me yell in a foreign langusge, whooping it up till 1am....my daughter is afraid for me to take the LL to court because her brother is a big atty....the lease says quiet after 10pm.......is it worth a fight with money I don't have or should I go onto the street....I am out of money for another sec dep for another apt...Jan

Last edited by jandressup; 12-03-2009 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting