Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzydee919 View Post
I recently moved into a building that was renovated, the floors creak like an old castle and my neighbor above me has ADHD and never sits down, all night I am woke up by the sounds of the creaking floors which I spoke to the building management about fixing or. repairing. not only that the floors are hollow. Her pre tean son plays the drums even during the day is way to much for an apartment. you can hear the drums and the building entry. what would be my next course of action? Please help
That's easy, move! Honestly, how can the physical condition of the building, which you said is bad, possibly be your neighbor's fault?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 5,515 times
I live on the last floor of an apt building. The tenant directly below my apt. makes loud noises, it shakes my apt. It does not matter the time. it is at 24 hours a day. I have come home at 6 am the banging is so loud. I have documented times at 4 am, 3am, 5am, 5:15 am. Time doesnt matter to this person. I wonder if this person ever sleeps? I have tried to make contact with this individual, however he never responds to the ring or knock on his door.
I told the suppers helper about the noise, he told me the apt is occuppied by a male who has large weights in his apt. I believe it because i hear him panting as if he's picking up heavy weights and drops them to the ground. He told me to call the landlord to let them know what is going on; I did. She said she will write a letter to the tenant.
Oh yes, the apt directly below his apt is vacant. Therefore, he continues on a daily basis to make doing what he is doing. No one to complain but me.
Here is another issue in the same apt building. On the floor I live. there are quite a few children. I love children. I have a couple of my own. The problem is the children run in the hall way screaming playing ball, or riding their midget cars. When I ask, I really do ask the children to please not make so much noise. The parents get irate. They tell me to mind my business etc. I then remind them that across the street there is a park and The building apts and the halls are shared by all the tenants.They just ignore me. I dont want to argue or fight with anyone. I just want to want peace. They just dont get it.
What can I do to make my life more bareable in this apt building besides moving.
I just signed one year lease only because I dont have time to look for an apt for reason; I work two jobs and go to school at night. Any suggestions. I live in the Riverdale section Bronx NY

Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM

57 posts, read 81,096 times
I had this problem years ago. Management wouldn't help, so I'd just shut the lady's power off whenever she got real noisy. Easy to do. Let's see if she's noisy in the dark...

Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
None of his complaints seem out of the ordinary or excessive -- they seem pretty justified to me.

Is it too much to ask of people to at least have enough respect and common courtesy not to engage in behavior that can literally make other people's lives a living hell?

Why should he have to go through the hassle and expense of moving? He's done nothing wrong, while you seem to be making excuses for people who are nothing more than disrespectful a--holes (adults and children alike).
Exactly. Why make excuses for noisy people. Why do people say move all of the time, as if that is a reasonable and financial option? Moving is very expensive and stressful and does not solve the basic noise issue. Greedy, lazy landlords need to set strict rules and enforce them regarding noise and also it is the tenants responsibility to step up, even if it is uncomfortable,and keep calling the Police. Eventually, the tenants that are not only very noisy, but also throwing garbage around and having parties or roommates moving in and out will be evicted. I noticed the night club across the hall music stopped after two cop calls and then their motel 6 kept going on a few months after that, and yesterday a Sheriff put a warrant on their door, I assume for eviction. I am sure others are bothered in the building but maybe are afraid to say anything. There are people falling down steps, slamming doors, the cops are over there a lot. Also thecops shut up the brats under me today. I talked to them three weeks ago and the manager sent them a letter and they would not listen, so I finally called the cops. The kids are not living there, just staying there. But...Saying to move is easier said than done. Not everyone has the means or the help to do this, why else would we live in an apt. If we could we would live in a nice friggin house without the BS. People need to respect each other and stop being so damn rude and selfish. Especially people who come here and have no desire to learn manners in our country in addition to our own rude citizens! It is common sense if you live in an apt building that others can hear you to a degree and you cannot act as if you own the entire building!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:15 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,612 times
[quote=Artsywoman;14747132] ...Saying to move is easier said than done. Not everyone has the means or the help to do this, why else would we live in an apt. If we could we would live in a nice friggin house without the BS. People need to respect each other and stop being so damn rude and selfish. Especially people who come here and have no desire to learn manners in our country in addition to our own rude citizens! It is common sense if you live in an apt building that others can hear you to a degree and you cannot act as if you own the entire building![/quote]

Yes, yes, and yes. Why are (some) people so stupid, rude, and idiots? Why do they disrespect others? They all need to get in a loud corner of the world (like Afghanistan) and live there and they can make all the noise they want.

Absolutely no decency ... I'd rather take my chances with the animals in the woods.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,187 times
Quote:
Greedy, lazy landlords need to set strict rules and enforce them regarding noise and also it is the tenants responsibility to step up, even if it is uncomfortable,and keep calling the Police.
Sure, sometimes the LL is the problem. But tenants also need to develop some tolerance for the noise that is inevitable when you live in a multi-family dwelling, especially noise that does not occur during quiet hours, or noise that is normal and unavoidable such as hearing your upstairs neighbors walking around above you.

Complain too much to the landlord and YOU become the problem in their eyes. You can call the cops, but unless it is quiet hours and the noise is really remarkable to the cops (i.e. clearly heard from outside the offending unit's door), they won't do anything about it. I have found that it's very difficult to call the cops on someone anyway because it is not always clear exactly which unit the sound is coming from, especially if the offending sound is bass from a stereo or entertainment system because bass is transmitted through the structure of the building but is often not audible from the exterior.

I had a neighbor once who's bass was driving me crazy when I had a major headache one day. I had a good relationship with her so I walked to her unit and knocked on the door to ask her to turn it down. She opened the door and I realized that the music was not turned up very loud at all, it's just that the bass portion really traveled. She turned it off for me that day as a favor, because she was sweet like that. Not all neighbors are. Sometimes if you approach a neighbor with noise complaints they get louder out of spite.

I am currently in the quietest complex I have ever lived in. We are very close to the AF base here and it seems like all my neighbors are military. They comply with the complex rules, and that really makes a huge difference. I've never been so pleased with my neighbors. In the future if I have a choice between a complex full of self-centered civilians and a complex full of active-duty military, I will definitely choose the latter.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 PM

35 posts, read 93,417 times
something has happened in the past ten years that befuddles me.it used to be that landlords were glad to enforce the noise rules at night and would willingly,with no pushing,tell a neighbor she/he is too noisy and to keep it down at nights! it's not that way anymore..landlords seem extremely hesitant to confront a resident about the their noise,even when it's in the middle of the night!!what's happened??that's my main concern lately..i want to know WHY landlords have become this way!!it's as though they don't believe that late night noise is an important issue enough to deal with/.i've lived in three different apartment complexes in the past 10 years and each is the same in that respect//one landlord actually told me that she'd talk to my neighbor about it but then added "remember though,that not everyone works days and that to many people your nights are their days". i remember just standing there thinking
"and so???"

Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 10,298 times
I have a lady who lives one street over from me. I am in Philadelphia. Almost everynight she begins screaming for her cat. I have a 6 year old trying to sleep and her screaming begins as early as 9pm. There are nights that this goes on until 2am. She is extremly loud at even comes to my street screaming "Casper".

My husband tried to confront her and she responded cruses and yelling back at him. We threatend to call the police and she edge on do it.

Is there something that can be done in this case?

Help! I can't keep waking up in the middle of the night to her screams for her cat.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbina View Post
I have a lady who lives one street over from me. I am in Philadelphia. Almost everynight she begins screaming for her cat. I have a 6 year old trying to sleep and her screaming begins as early as 9pm. There are nights that this goes on until 2am. She is extremly loud at even comes to my street screaming "Casper".

My husband tried to confront her and she responded cruses and yelling back at him. We threatend to call the police and she edge on do it.

Is there something that can be done in this case?

Help! I can't keep waking up in the middle of the night to her screams for her cat.
Do what you threatened to do.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,298 times
But calling the police they have to stay here all night to actually catch it.

Can you file a compliant and if others do also can they serve her a warning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting